Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 12:18 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Last time I checked earning a BS or BA mean you've finished college. Earning a degree of any kind means you finished something.
Earning a BS or BA means you finished a bachelors degree. A bachelors degree is intended to provide you with the foundation to continue on with college (with the exception of terminal degrees). But you haven't finished college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 09:04 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
I just reserved a hotel room for an upcoming vacation and probably due 5to this thread I accidentally selected "Dr." as a prefix to my name!

Old 09-17-2013, 06:01 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,162,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Earning a BS or BA means you finished a bachelors degree. A bachelors degree is intended to provide you with the foundation to continue on with college (with the exception of terminal degrees). But you haven't finished college.
You are completely wrong. For most people who go to college, they are finished when they get their bachelor's. That's why anything more is called an "advanced degree." any degree is a terminal degree if that's where you stop.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:22 PM

156 posts, read 447,372 times
Largely depends on your workplace. Since adding "MD" or "PhD" or "CPA" after your name isn't ostentatious, I don't think adding "MS" would be either. I think it would depend largely on your signature. Hopefully your signature is in the format suggested by brand standards, so it doesn't look so flashy.

I think the bigger question is how many degrees you list after your name. For example, "John Doe, MBA, SPHR, FACHE" looks much tackier than "John Doe, MBA."

Old 09-17-2013, 07:30 PM

210 posts, read 382,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJCPHL View Post
Largely depends on your workplace. Since adding "MD" or "PhD" or "CPA" after your name isn't ostentatious, I don't think adding "MS" would be either. I think it would depend largely on your signature. Hopefully your signature is in the format suggested by brand standards, so it doesn't look so flashy.

I think the bigger question is how many degrees you list after your name. For example, "John Doe, MBA, SPHR, FACHE" looks much tackier than "John Doe, MBA."
+1. I think it depends on the company culture. In my career I added my advance degree and certification on my signature block at one company where it was very common to put an advance degree--whatever it was beyond a BS/BA. However, I also agree that putting more than 3 degrees/certificaiton starts to make you look like a perennial student or just plain overkill...

And by the way, my british colleagues list their BSc, which is a baccalaureate degree--which I think is really unusual in the US.

So it may depend on your company and/or field, but it is not unheard of. Do whatever you feel comfortable with.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:11 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,042,469 times
I'm an engineer, and I do put P.E. after my name (as does basically everyone who has a P.E.), but I was told not to put MS after my name. The reason that I was told is because it would lead people to wrongly think that I have a MS in music (or other non-engineering field) and am trying to cover up a lack of engineering credentials (which would not have applied to me).

I personally think it is a double standard that people with a PhD put it after their name. I feel that the work I had to do to get a masters from MIT is comparable to the work that others did to get a PhD at many other schools. On the resume that my company puts in proposals, they do include my MS. But it infuriates me that it just lists MS, with no indication of what school it is from. The work I did to get my masters would have gotten me a PhD at other schools, but there is nothing on that resume that differentiates me from the people who have a masters in name only from a no name school.

Before I had my P.E. license, I was told not to include the title E.I.T., even though some people do include that title. I was told that having E.I.T. would have drawn attention to the fact that (at the time) I was young and inexperienced and did not have a P.E. yet.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:09 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,476,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
I'm an engineer, and I do put P.E. after my name (as does basically everyone who has a P.E.), but I was told not to put MS after my name. The reason that I was told is because it would lead people to wrongly think that I have a MS in music (or other non-engineering field) and am trying to cover up a lack of engineering credentials (which would not have applied to me).

I personally think it is a double standard that people with a PhD put it after their name. I feel that the work I had to do to get a masters from MIT is comparable to the work that others did to get a PhD at many other schools. On the resume that my company puts in proposals, they do include my MS. But it infuriates me that it just lists MS, with no indication of what school it is from. The work I did to get my masters would have gotten me a PhD at other schools, but there is nothing on that resume that differentiates me from the people who have a masters in name only from a no name school.

Before I had my P.E. license, I was told not to include the title E.I.T., even though some people do include that title. I was told that having E.I.T. would have drawn attention to the fact that (at the time) I was young and inexperienced and did not have a P.E. yet.
Impressive MS from MIT. You should be proud really. I agree it's not like an MS in engineering from UCLA or Berkeley, both great schools, but no MIT.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:17 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
You are completely wrong. For most people who go to college, they are finished when they get their bachelor's. That's why anything more is called an "advanced degree." any degree is a terminal degree if that's where you stop.
Please be advised that I am correct. They might be finished in their mind in regards to how much higher education they will receive but they have not completed college (which is a better term than "finished"). Just like someone who walks out of a marathon halfway through might be finished in their own mind... but they haven't finished the marathon.

Also, you might want to look up what a "terminal degree" is. It is not any degree after which you arbitrarily decide to discontinue your education.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:04 AM

106 posts, read 476,823 times
I work in education/allied health care and myself and all my colleagues use MS or MA along with our national accreditation initials, since you must have a masters degree to practice in this field and the national certification titles denotes that a) you are/are not a clinical fellow (1 year post graduation) and have the full certification, which means you are able to provide supervision for clinical fellow. Sometimes the initials may not make sense to others outside of our field, so I write one additional line explaining my career in lay terms.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:09 AM

455 posts, read 1,397,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Please be advised that I am correct. They might be finished in their mind in regards to how much higher education they will receive but they have not completed college (which is a better term than "finished"). Just like someone who walks out of a marathon halfway through might be finished in their own mind... but they haven't finished the marathon.

Also, you might want to look up what a "terminal degree" is. It is not any degree after which you arbitrarily decide to discontinue your education.

Hope this helps.
NJBest is correct. But this subject isn't so cut and dry. Below are a few links from the Department of Education explaining the entire degree system in the US.

The MBA degree isn't the only Professional Masters one can obtain. In my opinion if it's listed in the link below or meets the Department of Edu's definition of a Professional Masters; it's perfectly fine to use as a Post-Nominal.

What First Professional Degrees are
http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/lis...ofessional.doc

What Professional Masters are
http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/lis.../us/master.doc

Homepage to other degree links
Structure of U.S. Education
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment