Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 10:23 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,887,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I have no issues with tats...fine, whatever, have a full sleeve. Who cares?

But, employees with body piercings? I was at a fast food place the other day, and literally, my stomach turned, when the girl taking my order, had some sort of piercing thing in her lower lip, with spikes coming out of her chin. It made me ill. I was so repulsed, I could not order the food I originally came in for, all I needed was a Coke to my nausea.

I wonder if the manager has any idea how these body piercing affect some customers?
My ex had a lip stud (a piercing under the lip that was a diamond) and worked fast food. She had to take it out for the particular redheaded themed fast food place she worked at. I am not sure why others are laxed on this policy. IMO, piercings are a little more no thanks than tattoos (other than doing DGAF on your fists.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 07:46 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,298,365 times
I work at my university's student union and a lot of the employees have tattoos that are showing during work. This includes full sleeves and neck tattoos in some cases.

We collect comments/complaints and the lists are given to employees. No one in my 2 years of working here has ever sent in any complaints about those punk kids and their tattoos (and we do get a lot of alumni and older community members in the building). The same has been true for letting student employees have pretty much whatever hairstyle they want. As for facial piercings, they do need to be removed at work.

On the other hand, I'm also involved with the theatre program, and we have had problems with some students having large tattoos that are difficult to cover up with make-up. I know a working actress who has maybe a dozen tattoos, but they're all small and not very colorful. But large pieces can be a problem.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSS94 View Post
I work at my university's student union and a lot of the employees have tattoos that are showing during work. This includes full sleeves and neck tattoos in some cases.

We collect comments/complaints and the lists are given to employees. No one in my 2 years of working here has ever sent in any complaints about those punk kids and their tattoos (and we do get a lot of alumni and older community members in the building). The same has been true for letting student employees have pretty much whatever hairstyle they want. As for facial piercings, they do need to be removed at work.

On the other hand, I'm also involved with the theatre program, and we have had problems with some students having large tattoos that are difficult to cover up with make-up. I know a working actress who has maybe a dozen tattoos, but they're all small and not very colorful. But large pieces can be a problem.
Yeah in acting tattoos are a little weird. I love wrestling and am a fan of The Rock and ave been for years. To see him in some roles in "modern films" after he got the Samoan arm and chest piece and see it covered up is weird. However if you are doing say Helen of Troy and you have arm sleeves, that is a probelm.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:40 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,605,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Too many people are getting tattoos just to fit in with the latest trend and no other reason.
I choose to be counterculture by not having any tattoos are piercings.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:46 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,032,528 times
I have no clue what drives people to go overboard with the tattoos and piercings. I work in a red-neck riddled environment full of people who don't think before they act, so there's no shortage of random tattoos, nearly all of which I cannot imagine why the person chose to get. Military tattoos or similar are one thing - I can appreciate that - but random band symbols? Names of ex-girlfriends? Video game characters? Nope, I don't get it.

One shlub there, while not a bad guy, will never get a job higher than "janitor" thanks to the decisions he made regarding his body. He has countless tattoos, including the ever-classy neck tattoo, along with what I think are supposed to be "demon horns" on the sides of his head. He also got his eyes tattooed black, so he looks like some sort of undead, and he has so many piercings that his face looks like he fell into a tackle-box. I have no idea why anyone would do this... If he's trying to impress or intimidate, he failed mightily at it since he doesn't look "scary" or "manly" - he looks stupid. And, as I said, he's basically guaranteed minimum wage work for himself for the rest of his life. Finally, given the work environment, his piercings are a serious safety risk, which makes it even more insane.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
I have no clue what drives people to go overboard with the tattoos and piercings. I work in a red-neck riddled environment full of people who don't think before they act, so there's no shortage of random tattoos, nearly all of which I cannot imagine why the person chose to get. Military tattoos or similar are one thing - I can appreciate that - but random band symbols? Names of ex-girlfriends? Video game characters? Nope, I don't get it.

One shlub there, while not a bad guy, will never get a job higher than "janitor" thanks to the decisions he made regarding his body. He has countless tattoos, including the ever-classy neck tattoo, along with what I think are supposed to be "demon horns" on the sides of his head. He also got his eyes tattooed black, so he looks like some sort of undead, and he has so many piercings that his face looks like he fell into a tackle-box. I have no idea why anyone would do this... If he's trying to impress or intimidate, he failed mightily at it since he doesn't look "scary" or "manly" - he looks stupid. And, as I said, he's basically guaranteed minimum wage work for himself for the rest of his life. Finally, given the work environment, his piercings are a serious safety risk, which makes it even more insane.
I never got inked or pierced but apparently some people feel a high from getting one. I don't know if it's true or not but I wouldn't put it past anyone.

Band symbols would be my idea of a tattoo except that they would not be visible. They would be on say my upper arm which even in warm weather at work, would not be seen unless it is some fluke. This is because i would only do my favorites that have a symbol and not the names. So this leaves just Aerosmith's wings...

Old 09-23-2013, 05:59 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,728,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I work in research at a major facility as well as in education (both university and secondary). At the research job, most of the guys under 40 and many of the women have some ink. No one is disgusted. Almost, all of us have graduate degrees, none are ex strippers.

I know more of my colleagues from the secondary school. Nearly 30% have tattoos. No one is disgusted. Again, most have masters and none are strippers.

Should we continue the anecdote game because unless you have some support for the bolded statement, it is not a fact and is just your personal opinion
You are not in the real world...hiding out in the ivory tower.

In the real world most professionals scoff at tattoos.

I love the anecdotal card. The anecdote is my fact. If it happened and I saw it, it is a fact. Would thought a big time research guy would understand it. My statement based on 12 years in a Fortune 100 company at the VP level. I did not hire janitors or researchers, but mainstream managers. Son, I know of what I speak.

Enjoy your tats, I am sure they are epic!

Old 09-24-2013, 03:37 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,726,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
You are not in the real world...hiding out in the ivory tower.

In the real world most professionals scoff at tattoos.

I love the anecdotal card. The anecdote is my fact. If it happened and I saw it, it is a fact. Would thought a big time research guy would understand it. My statement based on 12 years in a Fortune 100 company at the VP level. I did not hire janitors or researchers, but mainstream managers. Son, I know of what I speak.

Enjoy your tats, I am sure they are epic!
Sorry, but research is not an ivory tower. It hasn't been for about 30 years now. How old are you? I do not conduct research for a university and my research group is working on stuff that is hugely relevant.

You really need to learn the difference between opinion and fact. Your opinion is NOT a fact. You have no idea if "most" professionals scoff at anything, because you have only ever met a tiny fraction of the professionals in the real world, and those in a particular field. Your anecdote has exactly the same amount of weight as mine, neither of which is particularly meaningful.

Oh, and I am not a "guy".

Not exactly batting 1000 aren't you?

Old 09-24-2013, 08:06 PM

277 posts, read 688,291 times
I work for a small-ish hospital system in the Southeast. They forbid us from having tattoos showing while at work and you wouldn't believe the number of my co workers who have tats. Everyone walks around with band-aids over their tats.

Myself, I have one small tattoo above my ankle. It is a small dove with the word "peace" neatly inscribed below. Approx 1 inch by 1 inch. I was told during my first week at work that my tattoo was offensive and must be covered at all times while at work (I was never told in orientation). I would just like to know what part of a dove and the word "peace" are offensive?

And oh yes . . by the way I work in an off site billing office, where we have no patient and/or customer interaction.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:47 PM

20 posts, read 72,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikesfanmb View Post
I work for a small-ish hospital system in the Southeast. They forbid us from having tattoos showing while at work and you wouldn't believe the number of my co workers who have tats. Everyone walks around with band-aids over their tats.

Myself, I have one small tattoo above my ankle. It is a small dove with the word "peace" neatly inscribed below. Approx 1 inch by 1 inch. I was told during my first week at work that my tattoo was offensive and must be covered at all times while at work (I was never told in orientation). I would just like to know what part of a dove and the word "peace" are offensive?

And oh yes . . by the way I work in an off site billing office, where we have no patient and/or customer interaction.
For Christians the dove symbolizes the Holy Spirit. You are to never bring up politics and religion at work. (Shrugs shoulders) I don't know. Just my guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment