Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 10:08 AM

21,830 posts, read 25,102,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
I agree about the burnout factor, that's why I do it only a couple of shifts a week max! Working full time in a hospital is more stress, politics and drama than it is worth. Working agency fits my personality better.
Yeah, my job isn't the medical field but similar. I have somewhere between 1-4 hours of behind the scenes work, so the same thing. I try to do 2-3 jobs a week. If you've got 4-5 hours of driving, 3-4 hours on the job, and then say 6-8 when you get back home... you're just beat. Sometimes they need it the next day, so you're talking about a 14-16 hour day. Not fun. On the other hand, those jobs pay well. $500/day is a conservative average. Of course, if you're trying to do five jobs a week you're talking about doing something like 70-80 hours. There's people that do which is how they end up making solid six figures. Me, I like to work about half of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 03:10 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
Some here think that commission sales is a terrible thing.

I got out of the Navy in 1954 (Joined the navy to keep from being drafted as my draft notice was in the mail box when I left for the navy) and started selling furniture in a major store. Sold furniture till January 1961 when I went into the corporate world ending up as division sales manager with the division from the Mississippi river west. Left the corporate world as I got tired being transferred in 1970 and went into the real estate business as a commercial real estate broker. Sold 2 real high end apartment houses my first week in the business, and exchanged a 16 unit apartment house for an irrigated farm the next week. More property sold by value, than most people in the real estate business would do in a year. Then I got busy, and started to make real money.

I always worked on commission and bonus and would not work any other way. By the end of my first year selling furniture, I was earning over $100,000 per year in today's dollars. I never made less than that per year the rest of my working life. In the real estate business, I got into making real money. My last sale before retiring was exchanging a large half finished condo development for a 2,000 plus acre irrigated farm put together on my last day in the business. The sale was over 5.5 million at 3% commission, sold on the telephone. Never saw either property. The two owners, were real estate brokers, but did not know how to make exchanges on property hundreds of miles apart and did not have the contacts I did to find the property they wanted. Commission over $150,000, and only took three telephone calls to put it together, and driving 125 miles to get the two contracts signed.

I am bringing this up, to show that commission sales, can be very profitable it one is really knowledgeable of what they are doing and working big ticket (high priced) items.

I never felt I could afford to work for a salary, as we could not afford to take the cut in income.

Old 10-06-2013, 04:11 PM

115 posts, read 208,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Some here think that commission sales is a terrible thing.......

I am bringing this up, to show that commission sales, can be very profitable it one is really knowledgeable of what they are doing and working big ticket (high priced) items.

I never felt I could afford to work for a salary, as we could not afford to take the cut in income.
I agree with you, sales and marketing can be very profitable but most people can't be successful because their perception.

I made a lot of money in Real Estate, selling and investing, and my business now is on automatic pilot but it is based 100% on sales commissions paying me more in my last ten years doing this than most people would earn in 100 years...

Old 10-06-2013, 04:23 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limbo24 View Post
It's not mine. I'm asking for a friend...
Note: no paid vacation, or time off, but you can choose to take weeks off without consequence or risk of being fired.
This is a SERIOUS question????? WOW!!!!!

Old 10-06-2013, 06:57 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Not to be mean here, but if you & your friend have to ask if $400/day is any good, hundreds of others would have swiped that job up so fast in the meantimne while you two are still trying to figure out if that pay's any good or not!

I worry about you two if you have to wonder if that is considered good pay.
If the OP's friend is not smart enough to know the answer you wonder if he deserves a job paying that much?

Old 10-06-2013, 07:03 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I wouldn't say that, it's well under the median in our city.
In Seattle?? What us the median income in Seattle per year?
Half my family and almost all my friends live in Seattle making no more than 70 k. Yes they have kids and they are living in nice houses or apartments.

Or I you referring to 400 dollars per week? If so, yes I agree.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:35 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
My roto-rooter guy was getting ready to retire at age 65.

He came to California with little after getting out of the service.

Bought an old truck and started cleaning sewer mains.

He was making an honest $400 a day after expenses...

Lots of dirty work night and day and he had to pay for his truck, insurance and equipment plus business licenses.

So I know at least one guy clearing $400 a day running his own one man business.

No paid time off, no health insurance or other benefits.

Almost all his advertising was by word of mouth... did a lot of work for property managers because he was honest, never padded the bill and could go to the jobsite alone which means a lot...

I bought one of his cable machines and know if times ever got bad it is something I could do...

Old 10-06-2013, 11:35 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,625,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
Most people do not make that much in a week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I wouldn't say that, it's well under the median in our city.
Actually, one would say that, since the figures the OP mentions work out to twice the median income for the country as a whole:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/22/us...peak.html?_r=0

Median income falls while poverty rate edged lower - Sep. 12, 2012

It doesn't matter what the median income is in a few high-income cities or in cities with outrageous cost of living. Since the OP didn't mention a specific city it's only fair to compare his numbers to the much larger income sampling for the country as a whole than to some hoity-toity little towns or a few select cities with a very high cost of living.

Here's an article that pegs the percentage of households earning at least $100,000 as being only 20 percent. I'd say having an income higher than 80 percent of all households definitely means you make more than most people or rather, households.

Of course, that article takes on the tone that a household income over $100,000 isn't all that great anymore, but still, with only 1 in 5 households making that much I'd say it still qualifies as being more than most people make.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:23 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
Actually, one would say that, since the figures the OP mentions work out to twice the median income for the country as a whole:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/22/us...peak.html?_r=0

Median income falls while poverty rate edged lower - Sep. 12, 2012

It doesn't matter what the median income is in a few high-income cities or in cities with outrageous cost of living. Since the OP didn't mention a specific city it's only fair to compare his numbers to the much larger income sampling for the country as a whole than to some hoity-toity little towns or a few select cities with a very high cost of living.

Here's an article that pegs the percentage of households earning at least $100,000 as being only 20 percent. I'd say having an income higher than 80 percent of all households definitely means you make more than most people or rather, households.

Of course, that article takes on the tone that a household income over $100,000 isn't all that great anymore, but still, with only 1 in 5 households making that much I'd say it still qualifies as being more than most people make.
Yes this is true unless the region you desire is one of those high cost regions...

This is why conforming mortages are not the same throughout the country... some areas are 100's of thousands higher than others...

Without more info... all we can comment on are generalities...

Old 10-07-2013, 07:22 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,495,259 times
I know a man ( working by himself ) who makes $85.00hr
working 8-12 hrs a day 6 and 7 days a week.

Making anywhere between $680.00 - $1020.00 a day + a percentage on all parts.

He works on RV's and Campers and he stays busy year around.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment