Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 11:17 AM

305 posts, read 723,993 times

Advertisements

I'm a 23 year old who has graduated from a design school and landed an internship because right now, I don't stand a chance at gaining real employment compared to other people who have Master's degrees, and 8 years of design experience on their belt. I told my mom I stand very little chance at employment now. I knew I didn't qualify for an internship anyway because I wasn't good enough, but I asked my boss to train me so I can be at an employment level. He agreed to do it despite not having the time to do it.

I have to lie to her and leave stuff out because she doesn't want me to live off her anymore.(And I don't want to either.) I'm under some really bad financial ****(2 collection bills and crap credit), and I'm going to lose my cell phone in a few months. And I'm doing the internship that's not paid so I can eventually get a job there, and anywhere if I'm employed(This is a multi-million dollar company, and because clients like P-Diddy, Miley Cyrus, and Selena Gomez pays us a lot of money to do photo shoots for them, photo edit, and do music videos for them.) because they have very high standards of who they hire.

But I don't know how to face her and how to make her understand that this is what I wanted, and have her wait a little longer. I'm willing to intern for as long as it takes to be at an employable level, but she's not. I want to make her understand that I'm not some idiot that's being taken advantage of.
Someone give me some advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 11:33 AM

595 posts, read 2,702,351 times
If you are in a bad way financially, why aren't you looking for paid work part time?

Old 10-09-2013, 11:37 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,124,133 times
This is less an employment issue than it is a relationship issue.
Have you been trying to find work or have you just assumed that you cannot compete being a new grad?
To me, an internship is an extension of your education but it sounds like you still need to convince your mother.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDH35 View Post
If you are in a bad way financially, why aren't you looking for paid work part time?
Because its hard enough finding employment.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:55 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,887,972 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
Because its hard enough finding employment.
That is the problem. I mean let's face it a LOT of jobs want your job with them to be your most important job and if you don't, there is enough of a supply to replace you.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:58 AM

595 posts, read 2,702,351 times
I understand that. Trust me. Along with this internship you should be finding something part time. What if this internship doesn't work out the way you are hoping? What then? I guess I believe in the Plan B, and C. Do you have ANY job experience outside of your chosen field?

Old 10-09-2013, 01:51 PM

211 posts, read 529,208 times
Quote:
I understand that. Trust me. Along with this internship you should be finding something part time. What if this internship doesn't work out the way you are hoping? What then? I guess I believe in the Plan B, and C. Do you have ANY job experience outside of your chosen field?
Definitely agree with this. It may be hard, but that's no reason to not do it, given the circumstances.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:55 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,734,470 times
Unpaid internships don't necessarily equate to guaranteed job offer at the end. Even being at whatever the term "employable level" is also does not mean that finding a position in your field won't take a lot of time and effort. If you can't support yourself, look for a part time gig so you can keep your cell phone and pay off your collections accounts.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
If it doesn't work out, that's extra design experience to add to my resume. And no, I have no job experience. Hence why I chose an internship.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:19 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,515,619 times
You're 23 and you've NEVER had a job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment