Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 01:51 PM

1,420 posts, read 3,185,697 times

Advertisements

I was just reading the story of the kid in Massachusetts that allegedly killed his teacher. So often we read about someone committing a horrible act of workplace violence; so often, we read some description of that person as being "Quiet, likeable, friendly, normal, reserved, etc..."

Anybody get the creeps about anyone you sit near now?

I do, the guy sitting behind me. Never talks to anyone. Just sits at his desk and works. Never smiles. Always has headphones one. The only time I hear him is on a telecon. Every other person in our office (hundreds) is engaging or will at least make eye contact (and yes almost all of them are engineers).

But the guy behind me....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 02:06 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,784,392 times
Despite the fact that one of my current co-workers probably should give me the creeps, they don't.

At my previous job I used to have one that would go on long, rambling, conspiracy-theory rants. He had a halo of untrimmed white fringe around his head and a slightly sociopathic demeanor (missing social cues, little empathy, etc). He also had quite a temper too, but for some reason he like talking to me (which creeped me way the heck out). I'll admit that he did play a part in my decision to leave. Not a big one, but I was looking forward to not having to work in his vicinity. He was definitely my pick for most-likely-to-open-up-with-an-assault-rifle-at-work.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:10 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,424,925 times
I think environment fosters sanity. In my current office, I don't think there is anyone that I know of, that I would say is going to go berserk.

At one of my previous jobs working at a large auto repair shop, one of the techs was suspended, so he came back that night (very late) and smashed up all the cars in the parking lot, including mine which was parked there. You could say you could've seen it coming, but we didn't expect it. I also didn't know he was suspended until after the incident.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:15 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
I was just reading the story of the kid in Massachusetts that allegedly killed his teacher. So often we read about someone committing a horrible act of workplace violence; so often, we read some description of that person as being "Quiet, likeable, friendly, normal, reserved, etc..."

I do, the guy sitting behind me. Never talks to anyone. Just sits at his desk and works. Never smiles. Always has headphones one. The only time I hear him is on a telecon. Every other person in our office (hundreds) is engaging or will at least make eye contact (and yes almost all of them are engineers).

rear view glasses

Old 10-24-2013, 02:19 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Quote:

I work alone most of the time, With the exception of training and supervising new hires since the beginning of Summer. So far, Not one has been creepy in anyway. I am grateful. There was one that made me laugh because of her hyperactive demeanor and when she began running around (literally) and I had to reel her in. (not literally.)

The guy behind you may just have a lot on his mind, Or is anti-social and just focused on getting the work done and leaving. That said, Anyone can be capable of workplace violence even if they are extra outgoing and sociable. It goes with the old saying to "watch out for the quiet ones" which is not always true. My advice: Maybe introduce yourself and smile and see what his reaction is, or-Just focus on work and ignore it unless there is a real bad sign something might happen.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:29 PM

12,776 posts, read 14,987,827 times
Cheektowaga_Chester, starting this year, I started working at a pretty rough school, so yeah, any of those students could pull out a weapon since there's no metal detectors at the rundown school. Think kids like from the movie Dangerous Minds. One thing about this workplace is that my car is parked not too far, so if anything happens, I can speed off pretty quickly...I sit closer to the parking lot than anyone else at my workplace.

Ordinarily though, I've worked in safer schools and my job position itself, is rather isolating, so I don't have to worry about sitting around anyone. If a coworker goes berserk, I just hope I can tell in time to get the heck outta there!

I'm in the process of trying to get a few work at home projects going, so hopefully soon, I won't have to worry about ANY people at work! I'll be in the privacy & safety of my own home.

But yes, I know how they say that it's the quiet people you have to watch out for. I'm quiet too, but would never do anything to hurt a fly.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:48 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,308,341 times
Quote:

He could have issues at home or other things going on outside the workplace. Maybe he just isn't a people person. Not everyone is going to be social, friendly and engaging, especially if they are new to a company. That alone should not be cause for alarm or concern. In all honesty, he would be the LAST person to worry about.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:38 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,035,522 times
I work in an environment full of crazy, bigoted rednecks in a company where every department is out to undermine every other department. These crazies couldn't care less about anyone other than themselves, and they believe it is more important for everyone to have a gun (and be eager to use it) vs. a job, for example. They also love to talk about "when that day comes" when they'll finally get to "kill those people who need killing" - government officials, "communists," and "those people" - and they make no qualms about explaining who "those people" are in painful detail.

The only upside is that most of them are probably too old to be bothered going on a killing spree... but to answer the original question, yes, I do wonder at times when one of them will finally snap.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:46 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,661,722 times
Im pretty sure the guy next to me thinks about this all the time.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:25 PM

415 posts, read 764,730 times
Hmm....I work at a college, and let me say I can tell very quickly if I talk and look into the eyes of a student that is X military, It's the eyes'' I have run into 2 of them that made my hair stand on end....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment