Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 04:19 PM

128 posts, read 148,686 times

Advertisements

I have an associate in science degree. Generally this degree is only good for transferring into a 4 year college. I was wondering if anyone else has any knowledge on what kind of jobs may be available with a degree such as this one. Are there jobs available for a transfer degree?

Also does anyone have any information on what would be the best place to look for an internship for a science related field, whether be from lab work all the way to physical sciences? I know that some internships require that you have some experience or knowledge of the job you are seeking. If getting paid with an associates degree is not possible due to it only being a transfer degree, than there should be internships available for people with transfer degrees?
Is there a good website that offers information on good internships or maybe a location in the city, a school, or some type of portal that would need to be accessed, or is it better just walking into random location and looking for the boss?

Of course would the same apply for just job shadowing or even volunteer work? I would imagine it would be a little easier to do that since little work is involved and more observation pertaining to job shadowing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 04:31 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Have you tried going to indeed.com and typing in "entry level lab tech?" Have you compiled a list of science related companies in your area and see what jobs they offer? Even if you have to take a non-science related job, you can possibly do an internal move to get into a department that would allow you to do hands on science.

Think out the box: cosmetics companies, food companies, pharmaceutical companies, etc.

There are science related jobs for people with Associates degree. They pay very little but it is good experience to put on your resume and your employer might offer tuition reimbursement so you can pay for school for your Bachelors.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Have you tried going to indeed.com and typing in "entry level lab tech?" Have you compiled a list of science related companies in your area and see what jobs they offer? Even if you have to take a non-science related job, you can possibly do an internal move to get into a department that would allow you to do hands on science.

Think out the box: cosmetics companies, food companies, pharmaceutical companies, etc.

There are science related jobs for people with Associates degree. They pay very little but it is good experience to put on your resume and your employer might offer tuition reimbursement so you can pay for school for your Bachelors.
I can try indeed. How do you go about applying for an internship with a company if they do not post internships? Do you do it as you would go about searching for a job, getting numbers and contacting manargers, etc, and asking them about internships?

As far as those associate degree jobs, I have had no luck with my given degree. I searched around and there are either none or just very hard to find.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:28 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,449,350 times
With an AS - the best you'll get in a lab is a lab assistant - and really you only need a HS degree for that. If you want a lab position you'll either need an MLT certification or a 4 year degree (places who don't require the certifications will require a 4 yr degree).

Mayo clinic has a clinical lab internship, but doing it won't help you get jobs afterwards. It would get some experience on your resume and help you decide if it's the work for you, but that's all.

If a company doesn't post internships, don't waste your time. The best you could do is email/contact HR and ask if they do internships. But really most internships can be found one way or another as posted positions either via direct websites or internship websites. Your school would be a better resource for finding internships.

Honestly, options are limited with an AS - it's not intended to be the final resting place for someone's education. Use search terms like 'lab assistant', 'lab support', 'specimen processing', ect to find jobs you'd be qualified for. You definitely need to consider what kind of career you want and then pursue a 4 yr degree.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:50 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmrbird View Post
With an AS - the best you'll get in a lab is a lab assistant - and really you only need a HS degree for that. If you want a lab position you'll either need an MLT certification or a 4 year degree (places who don't require the certifications will require a 4 yr degree).
What?? Getting a job as a lab assistant is GREAT! It's real work experience in a lab. As the OP learns mores, finishes school, and networks from the inside, he will be in a great position. He can move up to some other positions in the lab.

He will be ahead of all the fresh college graduates who have no real experience at all. A real job trumps an internship.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:05 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,449,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
What?? Getting a job as a lab assistant is GREAT! It's real work experience in a lab. As the OP learns mores, finishes school, and networks from the inside, he will be in a great position. He can move up to some other positions in the lab.

He will be ahead of all the fresh college graduates who have no real experience at all. A real job trumps an internship.

If it's a stepping stone, then yea, lab assistant is great. If he's looking to be done with schooling and just have an AS, then not so much. You can only move up if you get the certifications, which will require more schooling before the OP is even eligible for them.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:17 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,737,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tariqblaze View Post
I have an associate in science degree. Generally this degree is only good for transferring into a 4 year college. I was wondering if anyone else has any knowledge on what kind of jobs may be available with a degree such as this one. Are there jobs available for a transfer degree?

Also does anyone have any information on what would be the best place to look for an internship for a science related field, whether be from lab work all the way to physical sciences? I know that some internships require that you have some experience or knowledge of the job you are seeking. If getting paid with an associates degree is not possible due to it only being a transfer degree, than there should be internships available for people with transfer degrees?
Is there a good website that offers information on good internships or maybe a location in the city, a school, or some type of portal that would need to be accessed, or is it better just walking into random location and looking for the boss?

Of course would the same apply for just job shadowing or even volunteer work? I would imagine it would be a little easier to do that since little work is involved and more observation pertaining to job shadowing.
if you know people that can hook you up with a contact or even a boss, you could get into a technicians job, many different types but they typically work in the field. ive worked with many technicians that only had high school diplomas, but were good workers and pretty bright, just no degree. but they knew someone that got them in to door.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:28 PM

I am looking to complete schooling. But in the meantime, having a job in a related field would be great. I can get the experience needed, figure out if it is something I could do, and above all, find a job I actually like working while waiting until I move up instead of just working a 9 to 5 until I wait for the degree.

I wish I had connections. I am currently trying to network to find help. I work in the hospital so I should probably look in the lab. Most job sites dont have internships listed and the requirements for the job are usually (never) not available with my background. I would like a job but without connections, searching alone is exhausting. That is why I was wondering if there was another way around not having connections and needing an internship. I would take an internship over nothing but would prefer a job looking for someone with my credentials. Associates degrees are transfer degrees but its still knowledge and should be good for something.

Calling the HR department and simply asking for my specific requirements, looking for job postings that match my criteria, job posting internships, internship websites, school advisement, or making connections. Last one is probably the best bet.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:34 PM

595 posts, read 2,703,170 times
How long have you been out of school? Does your school have an alumni network or a career center that you could tap into for help in that regard? I know the CC I attended has a job site as well as a career center that can help with networking. Might be worth taking a look at...Good Luck!

Old 10-25-2013, 07:37 PM

Graduated this summer and should return this upcoming spring. My school does have information, I should probably contact them Monday and see if there is anything available. I remember them telling me previously though that internships are available for students in their 2nd to last or last year so I probably would not qualify. The school I graduated from had nothing for me as far as my associates degree was concerned. They told me it was pretty much only a transfer degree.

Last edited by tariqblaze; 10-25-2013 at 07:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment