Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2013, 08:05 AM

156 posts, read 193,582 times

Advertisements

Until this month, I was working 11-hour days at two jobs.

I quit the second one because I hated it, it left me no time to work on my side projects (a novel and a screenplay) or the freelancing career I want to start, and my manager kept telling me I was underperforming anyway.

I moved up to 39 hours a week at my primary one. They don't want to give benefits, so that's the most they'll let anyone do.

They tell me I'm doing an excellent job, I'm much happier with my workload now, and my side projects are going well, but there's one major problem. My income's been cut to $1100 a month, $800 of which goes to rent, bills, payment on a loan, and car insurance. I've also decided to save up at least $5,000 over the next two or three years so I can move back up north, find a better job, and pursue an education.

I'm trying freelance writing and photography on weekends. but it's not working out yet. I found several assignments, but all of them either stiffed me on payment or decided they didn't want me at the last minute. I know it'll work out with time and patience, but I kind of need the extra income now.

In the short term, I can't keep living like this. It looks like my choices are either:

A. Take another second job and go back to being miserable and having no time to do any of the things I love.
B. Move in with a bunch of random people from Craigslist for $300 a month yet again.
C. Take up my friend's offer to sleep in his living room.

There is a possible fourth option: Sell my car and get my security deposit back (which will leave me with about $3k) and move up north right away, but that would basically be gambling that I could find a job within a month or two, which would probably be stupid.

Last edited by That Guy You Met Once; 10-28-2013 at 08:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 08:41 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,496,129 times
Life is all about trade offs, isn't it? It sounds like you value your passion projects (writing and photography) more than the security of a high income. If that's the case, sleeping on your friend's couch seems to be the most palatable of your three options.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:11 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
I value privacy so I would take option A.

Sometimes you have to suck it up and do the things you don't like to do. Working a second job for 6 mons. or so won't be the end of the world. Save the money and move.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:25 PM

211 posts, read 529,280 times
I'd take the first option. It'll definitely suck, but the faster you get your $5000, the faster you'll be able to move back up.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:36 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,077,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
Life is all about trade offs, isn't it? It sounds like you value your passion projects (writing and photography) more than the security of a high income. If that's the case, sleeping on your friend's couch seems to be the most palatable of your three options.
omg, no truer words were ever said!

Old 10-28-2013, 02:18 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,580 times
What about option D? Find a higher paying job? I'm not saying it'll be done overnight, but the best way to make more money is have a job already and then find one willing to pay you a bit more

Old 10-28-2013, 02:49 PM

156 posts, read 193,582 times
Well, I've only been in this one for three months, and the one before that (my former second job) for six. My last job was a seasonal position. I think having more than three jobs in under a year would look terrible on a resume.

Also, I'm possibly on track to become a manager. My direct supervisor is leaving sometime within the next year and I'm the only one in our department who has the potential to fill the position. (Because "our department" is just me, the current manager, and one other guy who doesn't give a ****.)

There's always the potential that they'd bring someone in from another department or hire someone from outside, though. But I at least want to wait and see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment