Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 12:49 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,713,325 times

Advertisements

8-1/2% and you're disappointed?!? Boo hoo! Poor baby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 01:06 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,798,579 times
8.5 is a large increase in my book. I'm at your level in terms of salary/yr and wouldn't consider a move for under a 20% increase. But it's more than dollars and cents, the other environment may have not been worth the jump in terms of what you want for your life. I always consider much more than $ when thinking about a move, I try my best to make sure it's a good fit. Yeah, you left $ on the table but sounds like it was an ok decision so I wouldn't be dissapointed for long. And depending on ow nervy you are, you can consider approaching your superior and asking for a bit more to keep in line with the market or whatever BS works. I'm surprised people had trouble guessing what industry you're in. Pretty easy to know it's IT - working from home and big $. Anyone who knows much knows that many mediocre Sr. Analysts/Programmers are at least in the low 100's. Anywhoo, just be happy with knowing what's out there so you know the possibilities for the future. Best of luck.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:13 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,934,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
8.5 is a large increase in my book. I'm at your level in terms of salary/yr and wouldn't consider a move for under a 20% increase. But it's more than dollars and cents, the other environment may have not been worth the jump in terms of what you want for your life. I always consider much more than $ when thinking about a move, I try my best to make sure it's a good fit. Yeah, you left $ on the table but sounds like it was an ok decision so I wouldn't be dissapointed for long. And depending on ow nervy you are, you can consider approaching your superior and asking for a bit more to keep in line with the market or whatever BS works. I'm surprised people had trouble guessing what industry you're in. Pretty easy to know it's IT - working from home and big $. Anyone who knows much knows that many mediocre Sr. Analysts/Programmers are at least in the low 100's. Anywhoo, just be happy with knowing what's out there so you know the possibilities for the future. Best of luck.
You nailed it on the head... I know I made a a**hole response and that's because many of us would like to be in your position and I'll continue to work hard and hope the cards fall in the right places and I can obtain that salary one day.With that said... this is definitely more about $$ and you need to think of all the variables in play. Sure... you may have had a figure in mind that you want to reach one day and you probably will at some point. However... sounds like you have a good gig working mostly from home and you're obviously making a decent salary. Do you think that bump in pay is worth making the move to NYC (where cost of living is much higher) and now you must report to an office most if not all of your work week?Be fortunate to have such options... many out there are "stuck", and many more are jobless.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:16 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,672,866 times
Only in IT have I known people to whine about having to work for their 100k+ salary. And yes it's barbaric they actually expect you to come into the office.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:19 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Is this a serious topic?? What do you want, a hug because you "only" got 8.5%? Give me a fricken break. I had an outstanding performance evaluation and I didn't get half of that, so pardon me while I cry moar.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:24 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibit_B View Post
my current job is nearly 85% working from home with occasional travel, salary is in mid-$100K range and a few bonuses paid throughout the year. i waited patiently for my end of year pay raise and it was only "8.5%". the 8.5% will suffice for a bit longer, but my expectation was a 20% increase. i was close to negotiating a new job with a 40% pay increase. i decided not to take it as it required relocation to NYC. i'm appreciative, but compared to a 40% increase at a new company i feel like i'm leaving money on the table. only caveat with the offer I turned down was a 9-5 work week, office - suit & tie environment and likely more than a 40hr work week. salary would have been around $225K. my personal goal was to hit the $200K+ salary, and it looks like i'll have to make a move after another year. my issue is that annual salary increases never equate to what the market offers to take a new position.
OUTRAGEOUS!

I really think you need to share your feelings, shattered expectations and lay it all out there.

Everybody knows that businesses are in a very strong position to offer EVERYBODY A 20% increase! Especially with this current administration who just LOVES private business. Obamacare and the like.

In fact, go with the threat of 40% or I'm OUTTA HERE.

Now that I've amused myself. WHAT?

I don't even really believe you're being serious because ANYBODY in that salary range knows EXACTLY how raises or merit increases are awarded and the basis compared with all employees in the same pool etc etc.

And if your company doesn't have that in place then you're lucky to have even gotten the 8.5% based on you apparently sitting there like a bump on a log all year just WAITING for some magical figure to pop into your paycheck.

What percentage of the merit increase pot goes to how many individuals at 20%, 10%, 5% etc?

And why DIDN'T you get 20% if that's achievable? I'm SURE you asked about it, right?

Then again you are working from home and obviously not part of the management team who does the rank and rate or whatever system they have in place. If you were part of "the inner circle" or even mildly "connected" you'd already have known what the approximate increases where going to be - give or take. You just may not have known where you fell out in the pool of people. AND you'd know what the CRITERIA was and if you made it or not or if someone else or someone else's department outdid you.

You're also talking like "salary" is interchangable regionally AND completely omitted whether the job you allegedly were offered was a promotion in title or not, thereby explaining the 40%.

Or do you think we all just fell off the "entry level banana boat" this week?

I would advise you to have a conversation with your boss about how raises work there. You should have done that this time LAST year.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:34 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,168,483 times
Lol at all the posts being mad that he makes a lot of money. He could have just left it out of the equation, but I feel for the purposes of his post it has relevance, especially considering where he lives now and where he may have to move. To the OP, is there a reason why you expected a 20% bump? Was it unofficially discussed? I think it depends on what you like. It sounds like you really enjoy working from home. Would you be giving up your traveling for the move to NYC? Is traveling and interacting with clients within their walls appealing to you? I know both DC and NYC have very high cost of living if you are trying to raise a family on a single income 125-150 can be relatively tight in DC, but 225 in NYC with a daily commute can be a little tight in NYC too (hour long train rides if you have a family and don't want to live in the city). So its almost like a time vs. money proposition. Do you value a higher salary and a more traditional office job or a very comfortable salary and more time.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:56 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,798,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
many of us would like to be in your position and I'll continue to work hard and hope the cards fall in the right places and I can obtain that salary one day.
SOme advice that's worked well for me - One of my aims has always been to pick a position with a good supervisor (I know "picking a position" isn't something one can always do). For me, it's been critical in learning and advancing. My previous supervisors have been great - they mentored me, taught me, respected me, propelled me, gave me opportunities and exposure, gave me advice, and generally looked out for my well being. I've been very fortuntate. And I gave back, I made sure to do my best for them and our dept. I also had supervisors who weren't as involved with me but found that most responded when I met with them and told them I wanted and felt ready to take on more responsibility or asked them for advice. People like to be made to feel useful and helpful and feel respected when they are asked for their opinion. Other thing that helped me was that I tried to always make time to get to know and help people outside of my area. I've been a resource to people that I didn't need to be a resource to. Basically, help others with your skills, knowledge, information, etc. and they'll love you and that love of you will get around (hopefully) and pay off when you're ready to make a move.Best of luck.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:59 PM

273 posts, read 503,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
To the OP, is there a reason why you expected a 20% bump? Was it unofficially discussed?
A few things... I was expecting a 20% bump because I hit and exceeded all metrics for my position. I generated more than 60 x's my annual salary in revenue. I also closed on several sales opportunities, which I did receive bonuses for throughout the year, so my logic was my increase would be a bit more. Comparing DC vs NYC COL is quite comparable with $225K. The increase would make up for it. The role in NYC was for another company in a similar industry, but more sales focused. Currently, I do mostly design and consultation, which indirectly leads to additional sales. The position in NYC was more sales oriented and the engineering side was mostly in the form of mentoring junior guys or providing high-level support and planning, but no day-to-day field work. In the end I passed on it, because the NYC company wanted an immediate start date, the logistics with relocating, getting an NYC apartment, etc --- and I was hopeful that my pending increase would be a bit more.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:01 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,934,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Is this a serious topic?? What do you want, a hug because you "only" got 8.5%? Give me a fricken break. I had an outstanding performance evaluation and I didn't get half of that, so pardon me while I cry moar.
It cracks me up at my job every year we have to reach certain "goals" which has zero affect at all on how much of a raise you do or don't get... everyone gets the same 3% raise company-wide. I also love too that we have evalutations every year where there's a rating system on your performance.... why? If you're going to implement such things then give us an incentive to work harder than the next person....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment