Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 01:20 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times

Advertisements

Everybody knows a cashier is supposed to count their drawer when the go ON the register and go OFF. And not let anyone touch it in between.

However, employers and management and owners will break this rule to their own detriment out laziness and lack of discipline and common sense. IF they can get away with it.

But of course, then they'll fire you if you make a thing of it.

I had a large national grocery chain work me off the clock. After three months of me complaining to the store manager AND HR, I finally threatened the manager to go to the NLRB and showed him the form. (they were clocking me OUT a half hour lunch that they didn't let me take!)

He said, ok just submit how much you're owed and we'll pay you.

I wrote up the spreadsheet, submitted it for $700.00 and they paid it the next week.

Along with that payment they cut my hours from 40 hours per week to 4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 02:48 AM

411 posts, read 901,273 times
one set of hands in the drawer, per drawer.

They can't charge you for anything. They can warn you, write you up, and then fire you if it keeps happening. They can fire you for improper cash handling but they cant accuse you of stealing and they can't charge you for anything.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:51 AM

411 posts, read 901,273 times
[quote=runswithscissors;32193516]Everybody knows a cashier is supposed to count their drawer when the go ON the register and go OFF. And not let anyone touch it in between.

However, employers and management and owners will break this rule to their own detriment out laziness and lack of discipline and common sense. IF they can get away with it.

I had a large national grocery chain work me off the clock. After three months of me complaining to the store manager AND HR, I finally threatened the manager to go to the NLRB and showed him the form. (they were clocking me OUT a half hour lunch that they didn't let me take!)

I wrote up the spreadsheet, submitted it for $700.00 and they paid it the next week.

Along with that payment they cut my hours from 40 hours per week to 4.[/quote]

it's just a shame that they did that. not ethical people. not worth your time.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:35 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Everybody knows a cashier is supposed to count their drawer when the go ON the register and go OFF. And not let anyone touch it in between.
Unfortunately not everybody does know and that includes management. The proper procedure is for the drawer to be counted by the employee in the presence of a manager before the shift starts and the same procedure followed in a back office at the end of the shift.

It's common practice for a cashier to be responsible for shortages. By the same token, multiple people should never be using the same register.

Senkar - even the most experienced cashier can make a mistake and particularly when things are very busy. It's unfortunate but it happens. In light of your experience I suggest you talk to management about implementing better register handling procedures. Good luck!

Old 11-12-2013, 05:50 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,135,920 times
I used to work at McDonald's at the register. One time, I came up 4.95 short. They gave me a register without counting the cash with me and I'm sure other people had used the drawer, yet I was the one being written up. I was pissed. I would have quit on the spot if they asked for me to pay for it.

I think you should start job hunting.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:20 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post

Along with that payment they cut my hours from 40 hours per week to 4.
You weren't in a union?

Old 11-12-2013, 06:34 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,077,228 times
I will never, ever work handling cash, and here is why: Some years ago, I worked for a place- not mentioning the name- but the very name of this company is just about the most honest ones in the country- ANYway.....I handled money coming in from various charity functions, as well as other money- and my supervisor told me that before I came, there had been thefts from within- large amounts- one of the cash drawers I handled wouldn't hardly lock because someone before my time had pried it open to get the money- Well, while I was there, money kept disappearing- and I was completely freaked out about it because I didnt want to ever be accused of it- I'm as honest as the day is long- finally, I quit because it was very stressful- and I would take money to the bookkeeper and beg him to take it immediately to the bank, because if he didn't, it would disappear and it just unhinged me.

Long story short, I did leave the company- and found out later that it was my supervisor and HER boss who were stealing the money- I couldn't believe it.....they were buddies, and both came to work within a week of each other, driving identical brand-new SUVS.....

Old 11-12-2013, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
You weren't in a union?
No. I was shocked myself having worked in a closed shop union with the phone company in PA for years before that.

I took that grocery job when I needed something overnight to free me up to care for a relative during the daytime.

I'm a little foggy on the details (it was 1999) but I seem to remember it was an open shop (if there even WAS a union back then) and you probably needed to be working there for 3 months to join just like you needed to be there for 6 months, for full benefits.

The whole reason they made me work my break was so the overnight manager doing stock didn't have to relieve me ringing up! (so I guess there was no union now that I think about it). I was told when I got hired that he would be relieving me for the break.

It paid well, something like $13.00 per hour for the overnight cashier. But I learned alot about how difficult it was for people who had no clue about labor...being abused by that chain.

They used to schedule the daytime cashiers a "split shift" to avoid giving them the company POLICY 15 minute break past 3 hours.

So they'd schedule them 7-10 then again 11-2. !!

There is no law guaranteeing breaks or lunch but there IS a law for making you clock OUT for that lunch and making you work it!! duh.

I used to say "Dude. You're being ridiculous. If I get SHOT on the register on company time I get Workman's Comp but if you have me OFF the clock I can sue you for alot more".

It just didn't compute with the moron.

Even HR? Can you believe it. They'd say "Go ahead and force him to comply but he's only going to cut your hours" and that's exactly what happened.

I made that threat when I knew I wouldn't need that job any more after the three months but not everyone is in that position.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Unfortunately not everybody does know and that includes management. The proper procedure is for the drawer to be counted by the employee in the presence of a manager before the shift starts and the same procedure followed in a back office at the end of the shift.

It's common practice for a cashier to be responsible for shortages. By the same token, multiple people should never be using the same register.

Senkar - even the most experienced cashier can make a mistake and particularly when things are very busy. It's unfortunate but it happens. In light of your experience I suggest you talk to management about implementing better register handling procedures. Good luck!
You're right, that's how we did it in the grocery store in the "counting room" (but no manager bothered to observe).

They used to TRY and get in my drawer during my shift on the belt. But I REFUSED. They'd try all kinds of tricks like "Wait, let me get change from you (for another clerk who ran out)....NO! GTFO of my drawer!

Old 11-12-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post
I will never, ever work handling cash, and here is why: Some years ago, I worked for a place- not mentioning the name- but the very name of this company is just about the most honest ones in the country- ANYway.....I handled money coming in from various charity functions, as well as other money- and my supervisor told me that before I came, there had been thefts from within- large amounts- one of the cash drawers I handled wouldn't hardly lock because someone before my time had pried it open to get the money- Well, while I was there, money kept disappearing- and I was completely freaked out about it because I didnt want to ever be accused of it- I'm as honest as the day is long- finally, I quit because it was very stressful- and I would take money to the bookkeeper and beg him to take it immediately to the bank, because if he didn't, it would disappear and it just unhinged me.

Long story short, I did leave the company- and found out later that it was my supervisor and HER boss who were stealing the money- I couldn't believe it.....they were buddies, and both came to work within a week of each other, driving identical brand-new SUVS.....
YES!

After I would close my store at 9:00 PM, (a business I owned) I'd go to a neighborhood chain for "dinner". This was a VERY VERY busy store like a 7-11.

I noticed a cashier acting very suspicious - making extensive eye contact and keeping the customers chatting and not giving receipts. I couldn't quite see behind the counter. But I finally saw he wasn't ringing up or under-ringing. Like $.79 instead of $7.90. That would allow him to pop open the drawer and make change. (another trick I was familiar with in my store).

Most of these thiefs have a gift for counting money and moving it fast. Like flim flam.

So I told the manager who I knew to keep an eye out. And he asked me to be his secret shopper. LOL

They caught the guy not making drops into his box on time and not ringing up when they found a CARDBOARD BOX under the register when security came in one night to do an audit without announcing it. And it was early in the shift.

There was 800.00 in that BOX!!!! And nothing in the drop box.

I had to fire alot of people in my retail store for that. There are SO MANY TRICKS and things you have to implement for theft.

They even used to take my merchandise out to the dumpster and drive around in the middle of the night to pick it UP!!! This was including LIVE STOCK (pet store) I would find little lizards and rabbits and stuff sitting in the dumpster at 1 AM !!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment