Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 05:09 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,615,835 times

Advertisements

A job that fits within their interests. NOT customer service oriented because they lack proper communication skills. I have read horror stories about them working in CS related jobs.

If he likes computers, find out exactly what about computers he like most, and go from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 06:50 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,787,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSloan View Post
The military
That was an easy question

P.S.
In the military you are not supposed to think outside the box, only do what you're told.
NO! People with Aspergers would NEVER make it in the military. No privacy, every minute you are forced to live as the military dictates. NEVER!

Old 11-27-2013, 06:58 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,411,456 times
Aspergers automatically disqualifies you from military. You have to look at all options and adapt to them if need be. For me I have no choice. I can't be picky. Sure I have preferences and certain jobs I'd like more, but at the end of the day you have to look at everything. You can't run away from human interaction forever either. For me I had to force myself to become more sociable. Just because someone has aspergers doesn't mean they have to be a turtle for the rest of their life.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I appreciate your advice but unfortunately, my son didn't even like to interact with his own family. He left home last year and cut all ties with me, my husband, and his brothers. It's very sad but as the saying goes, it is what it is. I don't mean to sound heartless but I think it's for the best. It's very hard to live with someone like him; our existence under one roof was sort of like we (me, my husband, and our other sons) were the United States and he was a tiny island out in the middle of the ocean. We were never going to mesh like a normal family.
I'm sorry for your family's pain. Try to keep track of him - if you know where he is, send him letters, send him money, let him know that he is still part of your family, no matter what. He is probably very alone, and in a great deal of pain.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
If you never saw your son get physically violent, then why would you even suspect he might be capable of shooting up a movie theater? Hint: People with Autism are not violent. People with Antisocial Personality Disorders shoot up movie theaters. People with Autism Spectrum Disorders do not.

It doesn't surprise me that you don't have a relationship with your son. You obviously don't understand him, and you understand even less about his neurodevelopmental disorder.
This is NOT true. People with Aspergers can misunderstand the world of human interactions, and have great difficulty understanding how someone else feels. They can become bitter and angry after repeated social rejection/isolation. So it is entirely possible for them to develop weird ideas associated with their obsessive interests. This is what happened in Newtown - extreme isolation, obsessive fascination with violent video games, intensive training in the use of assault weapons, and free and easy access to the same. That young man never considered how someone else would feel - the children, their families. He only saw himself, ever, acting out a fantasy. Some of us with teen or adult male family members with Aspergers can understand perfectly what happened in Newtown. Those who say that there was no connection between his Aspergers and what he did are very, very wrong.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:51 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,410,675 times
computer science degree and work as support for a cloud server site. They run shifts around the clock so he can find one that fits his particular rhythm. I have a friend doing this as 3rd shift and he is in heaven.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:44 AM

444 posts, read 820,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
My nephew is 23 and is diagnosed with Asperger's (aka high-functioning autism). When it comes to finding a job/career he likes and can stand it's quite difficult.

For example, he HATES working with people. He can handle working with people if the interaction is very limited but if it's a job where he would have to be constantly working/talking with others; forget it!

He is very good/smart when it comes to things like "To get x you do y" etc. etc. jobs that require one to "think outside the box" or "be creative" is a definite no go for him. He did have an office job he really liked 2 years ago but he was let go. He liked it because he stayed in his cubicle for the good majority of the time just doing his work and would listen to music (he requested his cubicle be furthest away from everyone else as so not to distract him) and he did very well there. He even said he would be perfectly happy at the same job doing the same thing for the rest of his life at the same company, he just needs an environment conductive to his needs.

So, for someone like my nephew who has some bad anxiety when dealing with people and much prefers a "step-by-step" approach towards work, I was hoping people here could get some ideas. Thanks!

I have two friends with high function autism. One went into theoretical physics and another went into math. Its a good choice for these types of minds along as they can find someone that will get grants for them.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:47 AM

444 posts, read 820,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
computer science degree and work as support for a cloud server site. They run shifts around the clock so he can find one that fits his particular rhythm. I have a friend doing this as 3rd shift and he is in heaven.
CS has recently got a lot more "team work". Wouldnt college CS team work mentality be miserable for an A social mind?

Old 11-27-2013, 12:25 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,865,702 times
Book keeping is more solitary.
Working in a lab.
Night janitor.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:29 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,414,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
People with Aspergers can misunderstand the world of human interactions, and have great difficulty understanding how someone else feels. They can become bitter and angry after repeated social rejection/isolation.
This describes my son. Other kids picked up on his differences early on. He was bullied the most in middle school but it even went on as early as the 2nd grade. I can remember one instance, back in February 1999, that he came home without his hat. It was one of those types that snap onto the jacket. It was a new jacket and very cold out so we asked him what happened to it. He was quiet about it at first until he finally told us a boy took it from him. Then my MIL (who used to watch him after school) went over to the boy's house to retrieve the hat. The boy's mother asked her son why he took it. He said he took it because my son would never play with the other boys at recess. The bullying continued through middle school (although he didn't tell us about that bullying until years later). Finally, he went to a private, all boys, high school where he wasn't bullied but he kept to himself the whole time and didn't make any friends either. He refused to ever let go of the bullying though. He'd go on and on about it at therapy sessions years after it occurred. We'd tell him over and over to let go of it and move on but he refused. He wanted to stay angry about it.

He has no empathy. He was 15 when my mother died. My next oldest son was 10 at the time. Of course, no one likes going to a funeral parlor but he just hung out in the back of the room. He didn't talk to anyone nor did he go anywhere near my mother's casket. My younger son, however, came right up to me while I was standing by my mother. He put his arm around my waist, looked up at me with tears in his eyes, and said "I'm sorry Mommy." I'll never forget that; I thought it was so sweet, especially coming from a 10 year old (plus it was the first time he was ever in a funeral parlor). What a stark contrast between two very different kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment