Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 10:28 AM

242 posts, read 1,001,881 times

Advertisements

How do you feel about going to the Christmas Party being around Phony co-workers?

I'm not perfect but i'm pretty much a for real person. There's some co-workers that barely speak or want to be around you, which I don't have a problem with, my problem is.
One day out of the 365 days in the year at the Christmas Party, these same people are in your face laughing & trying to have a conversation with you.

Don't let them have some alcoholic beverage in there system, they are really going to be all up in your face!

Normally our Christmas Party is on a Saturday.

Here's the Shocker, come Monday morning back to work, these same fake co-workers return to being well, fake.

By me being genuine, a few times, I didn't want to attend the party simply because of experiencing this type of thing.

This year our party is on December 14th Again i'm thinking long & hard whether or not, I want to go.

Some of you have dealt with this at work & know exactly where i'm coming from.

Bottom line, do you suck it up and go on to the Christmas Party?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 10:42 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,842,313 times
At my last job, we didn't have a choice. It was mandatory even though we weren't paid for the time spent there. It was pathetic watching my co-workers slur their words and stumble around drunk. There was even a fight in the parking lot between two of the partners. I hated that not only were we expected to put in 65 hour work weeks for months on end, but when we did have time off we were expected to go to regular social functions like happy hours, golf games, and a Christmas party without being paid for any of it. I believe in a clear distinction between work time and personal time. My social life does not revolve around the people I work with. If I were you, I wouldn't go and if you get any flack for it, start looking for a new job.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:44 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
It is just part of the game.

Suck it up and don't expect them to be your friends.

Just be glad you do have a job, so many Americans don't this season.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:53 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,436,826 times
Go for the free food and booze. Honestly, who cares about anything else.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:02 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times
I'll add that a Christmas party IS social time only, the workplace is not. I've often felt pressure on the job to be friends with seemingly dozens of people and I just don't have the time (or I won't get the work done). I can maintain a half-dozen work friends or so but that's about it. So I find it inappropriate the way some people think I'm an A-hole for not taking an interest in their lives nor sharing mine with them. And I'm more likely to get the promotion, so...

It seems that many people think social "rejection" cannot exist on the workplace. These are probably the same people who wouldn't dream of starting a conversation with a stranger on the Metro.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:04 AM

23,512 posts, read 23,986,796 times
I always go and enjoy the time, it's part of the "office politics".

Old 11-29-2013, 09:13 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,183,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificWest View Post
come Monday morning back to work, these same fake co-workers return to being well, fake.
Sounds like you have it backwards. While at work, they're working - not fake. Maybe they're fake at the xmas party, or they're trying to be friendly, festive, engaging, and social - behaviors typical of parties.

Take advantage of it. Do what everyone else wants to do at xmas parties - have a few drinks and try to hook up.

Attached Thumbnails
How do you feel about going to the Christmas Party being around Phony co-workers?-hook.jpg  

Old 11-29-2013, 10:41 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Go for the free food and booze. Honestly, who cares about anything else.
We have to pay for our party. Free would be nice. That's private sector, I guess.

I get out of it this year. All-day meeting too far from the party venue!

Old 11-29-2013, 11:39 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificWest View Post
How do you feel about going to the Christmas Party being around Phony co-workers?

I'm not perfect but i'm pretty much a for real person. There's some co-workers that barely speak or want to be around you, which I don't have a problem with, my problem is.
One day out of the 365 days in the year at the Christmas Party, these same people are in your face laughing & trying to have a conversation with you.

Don't let them have some alcoholic beverage in there system, they are really going to be all up in your face!

Normally our Christmas Party is on a Saturday.

Here's the Shocker, come Monday morning back to work, these same fake co-workers return to being well, fake.

By me being genuine, a few times, I didn't want to attend the party simply because of experiencing this type of thing.

This year our party is on December 14th Again i'm thinking long & hard whether or not, I want to go.

Some of you have dealt with this at work & know exactly where i'm coming from.

Bottom line, do you suck it up and go on to the Christmas Party?
It is just something one does. Don't over-analyze. Who cares who interacts or how "fake" anyone is being? IT IS A PARTY.

Just go, do your thing, be polite and go home. And don't give it another thought.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:42 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,225,470 times
Do you have at least one person you would enjoy talking to that would make it worth it?

Otherwise, it's about social graces. It's always good to make an appearance. You don't have to be phony yourself. Enjoy the food and liquor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment