Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 05:10 PM

389 posts, read 692,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antilost View Post
Hi,

I work for a hospital in NJ that's recently updated their inclement weather policy. It prohibits workers from calling out on days with hazardous weather conditions (i.e. blizzards). In order to make employees arrive on time they are essentially requiring us to come to the hospital the day before a predicted weather emergency and stay overnight until our shift. There is no compensation for this. My question is whether this is legal or not. I've been looking through NJ Labor Rules and haven't really found anything pertaining to this specific practice and was hoping that someone shed some light on the subject.

Personally, I would have no problem coming in the day before if some form of monetary compensation were offered.
Employers be buggin'. I used to work a minimum wage job, was dependable as Big Ben, and then one day an ice storm occurred. Not able to even make it out of my driveway, let alone my neighborhood, in my car (I was slipping all over the place), I called to let my boss know I wouldn't be in that day. I'd be lying if I told you he didn't tell me to charter a plane or attempt to melt the ice with my hair dryer but that he EXPECTED ME IN...

You want me to risk my life for you for $7.25 an hour? Sorry, but I have slightly more self-love than that

Oh, and if you're non-exempt, they need to pay you for every minute you are at work, btw. What if they told you they'd like for you to spend the whole week there? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 05:21 PM

6 posts, read 19,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
That's what 4WD vehicles are for. Up here employees who call in for weather get dismissed.
A 4WD car wouldn't make me impervious to all the 2WD drivers slipping and sliding all over the place. Despite our sometimes significant snowfall I don't think AWD is a requirement when living in NJ (the more urban parts anyways).

Old 12-09-2013, 12:35 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
A 4WD car wouldn't make me impervious to all the 2WD drivers slipping and sliding all over the place. Despite our sometimes significant snowfall I don't think AWD is a requirement when living in NJ (the more urban parts anyways).
Where I live the 4WD is great for getting home, the last 6 miles being all uphill. The problem in getting to work is that those same 6 miles are all downhill, and 4WD doesn't help you stop. With snow and possible freezing rain overnight we'll see if I go in tomorrow.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:41 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
I drive approximately 35 miles each way (40 min commute); but have access to public transportation. I think any scenario in which public transportation is still running would probably be a situation where I could still safely drive to work.

I don't really have any issues with the rules except that we're not paid to come in early. It's not a terrible policy but the burden of dealing with inclement weather shouldn't be entirely on the employee. I feel like the employer should shell out if they really care about hospital operations. Maybe enact an on-call pay policy?
If public transportation is running, there is no reason to come in early. At most, you would have to leave your home a bit earlier to get the bus/train.

Does the policy expressly REQUIRE you to come in the prior day or is it just suggested?

Old 12-09-2013, 12:59 PM

453 posts, read 632,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Back during the winter of 2009 - 2010, when Maryland had 3 huge blizzards and over 80 inches of snow total for the year, my insane former employer was enraged that the workers were not willing to drive through over a foot of snow on barely plowed roads to get to work. Their excuse was "we plowed the parking lot, so you should have been there." My reply (at least to my coworkers was) "How was I supposed to get to the parking lot?! It's not as if they sent a plow to my place and then plowed out the road leading to work!"
Jebus Crebus. Did reality ever send your boss a holiday card, or had they severed relations permanently?

Quote:
Idiots... they then tried to force everyone to work unpaid overtime to make up the last time. It was lunacy and a great way to lower employee moral just to make up for an extremely abnormal winter that we haven't seen the likes of in over 100 years.
Yeah, that would frost me. Did your area have any kind of global policy about snow emergencies and not driving in weather like that?

When I first moved from a seriously snowy portion of New York state to Cincinnati, Ohio back in the 80s, I discovered during my first winter there that when it snowed more than a couple of inches, the entire city basically shut down. The police ordered people to just stay off the roads unless it was an emergency or they were "essential personnel" who had to get to work in some outfit that had to remain open during a snow emergency (like the utility companies, emergency services, hospitals, etc.) and you could actually get ticketed if they caught you out driving in the stuff when you didn't have to.

I, of course, was dumbfounded to learn that three inches of snow constituted an emergency. I quickly realized the main reasons were because it was such a rare occurrence that nobody local really knew how to drive in it, and the area didn't have enough snow removal equipment to handle it. To me, three inches of snow had always been a fairly common occurrence in wintertime. My hometown might get that twice a week in any given period between November and April. Then again, I'd grown up in ski country. You put snow tires on the car just after Halloween if you hadn't already, and took them off sometime after Easter.

Quote:
My current employer just fires you if you're out of the office for 3 days without calling in. While calling in is easy, the casual treatment of the employees as disposable is so very corporate, even though it's a small, floundering company.
Friggin' wannabes.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:40 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
I drive approximately 35 miles each way (40 min commute); but have access to public transportation. I think any scenario in which public transportation is still running would probably be a situation where I could still safely drive to work.
I lived in the Northeast for 20 years. To my memory, any major snow storm would screw up all forms of mass transit. Whether it would shut down the system, different story.

Now I live in Arizona where there's not so much snow (well except in Flagstaff where I went for my undergraduate degree.) However we have more slippery roads that can flood during monsoons. This makes heading in or heading out of work in he afternoon or night, that can be tough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment