Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2013, 04:08 PM

547 posts, read 939,569 times

Advertisements

I don't like the question because when applying for a job, I think the question should be optional because some people might not want to list their current/previous base salary.

For example, if you're applying for a job that pays 30K a year and your current salary is 20K a year, the company can give you a lower offer, assuming if you get an inteview and the job offer. It's like "this person comes cheap, so we'll pay him lower than what we were going to pay".

Oh well..............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 04:37 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,288,784 times
It cuts both ways. A company doesn't want to waste it's time or an applicant's time if the salary isn't anywhere in the ballpark of what the applicant is giving up. Because absent something like a complete career change, a relocation to an area with a poor job market, or a jump back into employment after long-term unemployment, folks typically don't change jobs for less money.

That being said, it does present the applicant with the fear of leaving money on the table. And although folks on this forum seem to think that one should have a solid idea either personally or from sources like Glassdoor exactly what a prospective job should pay, it isn't always that easy. Many jobs have different levels, and you don't know if the company is tied to hiring a Widget Analyst I ONLY, or if a dream candidate appears, will they bring him in as a Widget Analyst III, with the corresponding higher pay range?

The even tougher question is "expected salary". Because that one requires the applicant to essentially lock in to a dollar figure before even beginning the interview process and learning more about the position.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:09 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
In salary negotiation, the employer has the advantage. You want a job, and they have one open. They have maybe 100 applicants, you probably have 1-3 decent prospects you are applying for. If no salary is posted (which is annoying) you may as well be honest about your previous/current pay because they may be checking it.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:23 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,448,948 times
I had a company that wanted to interview me but knew I was coming from a higher salary than they pay - so they asked my expectations. I knew the COL was lower in the new job, but I also had a minimum I was willing to consider. So I told them and after a week they got back to me and said they couldn't afford it. Basically someone wanted to interview me based on my resume, but someone said the price couldn't be accommodated so they never bothered interviewing.

It was a risk I had to take. But I knew that going through the interview process would be expensive and I really wouldn't take less than my minimum (I wasn't desperate for a job, just looking for something new). In the end it saved us both time and heartache.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:14 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
I feel free to lie about it. If I know I am underpaid and that the employer will likely use the information as license to continue to low-ball me and they are bullying the information out of you I'll lie and inflate my salary so when they offer 5-15% more it will truly be a step up.

It is not like employers and HR in particular have been playing fair or ethical either so what goes around comes around.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:57 PM

23,539 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Right now, employers have the upper hand and those looking for a job (especially if you have not worked for a while) have less leverage. If you want the job, you probably need to be honest. However, the tide will change one day...

Old 12-09-2013, 09:24 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
It cuts both ways. A company doesn't want to waste it's time or an applicant's time if the salary isn't anywhere in the ballpark of what the applicant is giving up. Because absent something like a complete career change, a relocation to an area with a poor job market, or a jump back into employment after long-term unemployment, folks typically don't change jobs for less money.

That being said, it does present the applicant with the fear of leaving money on the table. And although folks on this forum seem to think that one should have a solid idea either personally or from sources like Glassdoor exactly what a prospective job should pay, it isn't always that easy. Many jobs have different levels, and you don't know if the company is tied to hiring a Widget Analyst I ONLY, or if a dream candidate appears, will they bring him in as a Widget Analyst III, with the corresponding higher pay range?

The even tougher question is "expected salary". Because that one requires the applicant to essentially lock in to a dollar figure before even beginning the interview process and learning more about the position.
The company can easily solve this problem by telling people the salary of the job and trust people who make a lot more and who don't value the job in other ways more than their current job won't apply. Problem solved.

Nah, I think companies mainly do it so they can low ball applicants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment