Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 07:57 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,487,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
That depends what type of work it would be. I could very easily restart my industrial maintenance gig. It's more like contract work, but anyways... The work is hard on the body for one thing. That's the main reason I left. I could easily make $30/hr on a lot of that work, but the more you do it, the more you feel it, and the more it slows you down. Pretty soon, a job you've quoted to pay you $30/hr is now paying $20/hr because it's physically taking you longer to perform the work. Towards the end, I was having issues with hypotension from all the bending, stooping, and then standing. My body was telling me it was time to find something else to do...

The natural progression for a machinist looking to start a business is to open a machine shop. Judging by the average shop rates, we have enough already. Profitability depends entirely on finding competent, intelligent and creative workers. Good luck in that pursuit... All the good ones are working. You can try to pay more, but then you can't compete on the price point, and corporations are all about finding the cheapest outfit to widdle their widgets... Even if the company is cutting corners and sending out occasional garbage work. There are simply too many reasons not to go down that path.

If I had my druthers, I would get a captains license and do what my uncle does... Delivers boats. Every job is an adventure, and an opportunity to drink in new and exciting dives.
Can you work as an independent contractor? Work for a few months until your body feels like it's gonna "break" and take a 1 month vacation to recoup.. then start working again (rinse + repeat.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 08:07 PM

29,824 posts, read 24,917,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Can you work as an independent contractor? Work for a few months until your body feels like it's gonna "break" and take a 1 month vacation to recoup.. then start working again (rinse + repeat.)
That would be a last resort. I don't want to come to a point at any point where my body feels that way. It's simply not worth the money. And there is no incentive. I make decent money doing work that's far less labor intensive.

The main point was... There's tons of whining going on about the big bad business man and how they are collectively destroying the moral of the workforce. Looking at it through their perspective though, it's not like their lives are perfect. Profit margins today for many small businesses (the economic engine of America) are thin... Companies like Walmart can operate on razor thin margins due to their size. Small businesses can't. Imagine how stressful it must be to invest tons of capital in a small business, just to survive on tiny margins?

And trying to find the right help is always a challenge, at least it has been in my experience. Some of it has to do with money, but when you're getting squeezed out of the market, it's nearly impossible to pay prevailing wages anymore. And as the profit margin declines, the government is holding their hand out demanding their cut. It's no picnic out there for anyone these days...

Old 12-18-2013, 08:10 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,439,972 times
Quote:
That would be a last resort. I don't want to come to a point at any point where my body feels that way. It's simply not worth the money. And there is no incentive. I make decent money doing work that's far less labor intensive.

The main point was... There's tons of whining going on about the big bad business man and how they are collectively destroying the moral of the workforce. Looking at it through their perspective though, it's not like their lives are perfect. Profit margins today for many small businesses (the economic engine of America) are thin... Companies like Walmart can operate on razor thin margins due to their size. Small businesses can't. Imagine how stressful it must be to invest tons of capital in a small business, just to survive on tiny margins?

And trying to find the right help is always a challenge, at least it has been in my experience. Some of it has to do with money, but when you're getting squeezed out of the market, it's nearly impossible to pay prevailing wages anymore. And as the profit margin declines, the government is holding their hand out demanding their cut. It's no picnic out there for anyone these days...
Did you ever stop to think that most "complainers" on here aren't actually complaining about small businesses? I'd bet most of them probably prefer small business over large corps and MNCs.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:16 PM

29,824 posts, read 24,917,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Did you ever think that most "complainers" on here aren't actually complaining about small businesses? I'd bet most of them probably prefer small business over large corps and MNCs.
I think there is a lot of complaining due to the environment that we are all operating under. All the money is funneled up to the top, leaving very little for those beneath, including most small businesses. Of course, some of the blame is misplaced. I don't blame the rich... The system has been rigged heavily in their favor. Even folks like Warren Buffett are asking the government to raise taxes on the wealthy... Republicans will hear none of it though.

I believe America is becoming something of a ponzi pyramid scheme. All this fake money printing is merely inflating a balloon to continue the illusion of prosperity. Sure, the stores are packed, yet 1 out of 5 are making their purchases with food stamps. Many of those who aren't using gubmint funds are just barely above the threshold for qualifying.

It's like a game of hungry hungry hippos... And the table is tilted 45 degrees in favor of one big, bloated hippo. I blame the guy who is rigging the game, not the guy who is winning. Most businesses did not create this environment... They merely adapted to it.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:20 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,439,972 times
Quote:
I think there is a lot of complaining due to the environment that we are all operating under. All the money is funneled up to the top, leaving very little for those beneath, including most small businesses. Of course, some of the blame is misplaced. I don't blame the rich... The system has been rigged heavily in their favor. Even folks like Warren Buffett are asking the government to raise taxes on the wealthy... Republicans will hear none of it though.

I believe America is becoming something of a ponzi pyramid scheme. All this fake money printing is merely inflating a balloon to continue the illusion of prosperity. Sure, the stores are packed, yet 1 out of 5 are making their purchases with food stamps. Many of those who aren't using gubmint funds are just barely above the threshold for qualifying.

It's like a game of hungry hungry hippos... And the table is tilted 45 degrees in favor of one big, bloated hippo. I blame the guy who is rigging the game, not the guy who is winning. Most businesses did not create this environment... They merely adapted to it.
And who do you think is rigging the game? I think you'd be surprised that most "complainers" are in agreement with you. Again, many of us probably support small, local businesses over large corps. I tend to always prefer local business myself. I'll get my bike tuned and worked on at the small LBS down the street before I'd get work done on it at Sports Authority and the like.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:21 AM

25,964 posts, read 22,132,993 times
Of course you'll have issues on both sides. I would tend to agree that small businesses aren't what most are complaining about. It is difficult to find people with a good work ethic and with skills, even simple ones. My husband once went for an interview and they wanted him to read a ruler down to 1/16, he was confused until they explained that most of the applicants they got couldn't read down to 1/16. There are good workers and good employers but, frankly, I still think they are in the minority.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:37 AM

189 posts, read 239,881 times
Those people complain, maybe they think it’s easier to be a boss than be an employee. They think their job is tougher and less paid. I don’t understand why they cannot get the easier but higher paid job then.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:44 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,494,081 times
Quote:
Seriously, for all the complaining... It's like everyone thinks the grass is greener on the other side! I promise you, it is not... For 6 years, I have avoided hiring anyone for the various projects I have undertook. If it meant I had to work 16 hours a day for a week, I'd gladly take that over dealing with the incompetence of others. I know the way I like things done. They are not the easy way, but they are the right way, and they net the results I seek. That is usually a labor of love more than a way to bring in money.

I sleep much better at night knowing I put in a genuine effort in what I set out to do. Unfortunately, I rarely deal with "wage slaves" who feel the same way about work. What they fail to realize... Profit margins are slim for average quality anything. If you're capable of offering exceptional quality in any product or service you offer, you can charge more. People also call back when they need more work done, or they refer you to others. How can I pay someone more if they are only willing to be "average"?

I have attempted to hire in the past. I even paid decent for the work. Often times, a "helper" stood to do better than I hourly, since much of my time was spent actually securing the work. While I might make $20/hr on the project, when factoring in the time scouting out the work, it may have been closer to $16/hr... And I have even offered up to $18/hr for good help.

Here's what happens when I find "good help"... One guy pukes after 20 minutes of working. Says he doesn't like the smell of oil and is going home. I clearly stated the job would involve (protected) contact with oil and various forms of sludge prior to bringing the guy on... Left high and dry, I'm stuck working 14 hours a day in order to meet the quoted timeline.

Another guy started, and worked ok for a couple hours... Than he started whining about supposed breaks that were required by federal law. According to this work horse, workers are required breaks every 2 hours, paid by the employer. Apparently, he was a laid off auto workers and that's how things ran in the plant. Ya... He didn't last long.

Brought one guy on who tried to tell me what tasks should be assigned to him. Naturally, he wanted the easy stuff... Ya, that didn't work out. Had one guy that wanted to hit the bathroom every hour and half. Being that he was "suited up", that meant he had to remove his protective boot covers, protective suit, gloves, etc... A single bathroom break could easily run 20 minutes.

I have done an awful lot of off the beaten path work in the past. Never have I found any incentive to seek help. It's just not available in the form that I seek... Competent and without tons of baggage. Since I refuse to hire illegals, who many employers seem to prefer, I guess I'll be working in solitude should I continue down this path. From the perspective of a full time employed "wage slave"... I value the security that a steady paycheck offers, without all the hassle of jumping hurdles (finding decent employees).
That requires amazing flexibility....to pat yourself on the back while you kick others at the same time.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:04 AM

641 posts, read 1,021,352 times
Because with the rise of the "gimme" generation and the Boomers letting them get away with it, all these idiots think they are worth some huge wage or are expected to be given a job with benefits because they got a degree on the internet or whatever. Then when they get in the company after a few years they just slack off and dont like teaching new hires new things because they might "Take their job". Employees have gotten lazy, always on their cell devices, on the internet at work, etc

This is the me me me generaton, what else would you expect?!!?

Old 12-19-2013, 11:34 AM

3,674 posts, read 3,036,600 times
I for one, never thought it was easier on the "other side" of things, because it isn't. However, is treating folks the way you would like to be treated such a difficult concept for companies to follow? Apparently for a lot of those on the "other side" it is, and I think that's what has gotten people upset the most. Contrary to a lot of the stereotypes on this forum, most employees are hard working, decent, and always try to do the best job they can, and STILL end up getting treated poorly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment