Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 11:35 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,439,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
Because with the rise of the "gimme" generation and the Boomers letting them get away with it, all these idiots think they are worth some huge wage or are expected to be given a job with benefits because they got a degree on the internet or whatever. Then when they get in the company after a few years they just slack off and dont like teaching new hires new things because they might "Take their job". Employees have gotten lazy, always on their cell devices, on the internet at work, etc

This is the me me me generaton, what else would you expect?!!?

Surprise, another disgruntled Millennial hater on City-Data Forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 11:48 AM

641 posts, read 1,021,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post

I am a millenial, sad to see my own generation end up like a bunch of brain dead tools.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:50 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Did you ever stop to think that most "complainers" on here aren't actually complaining about small businesses? I'd bet most of them probably prefer small business over large corps and MNCs.
You do realize that of those who believed Obama when he said "tax the rich" he was going after small businesses right?

Give it up OP. I was once an employee and used to laugh when people would say "they don't care". The reason I laughed is because they didn't understand that they made an agreement to be paid x amount in exchange for their time and skill. Companies are not social institutions. Actually small businesses owners do care about their employees. They are aware that people working for them depend on them to keep the business profitable and able to keep them working. They just don't realize that they voted against the very people who also work hard and employ them.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:53 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,832,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Seriously, for all the complaining... It's like everyone thinks the grass is greener on the other side! I promise you, it is not... For 6 years, I have avoided hiring anyone for the various projects I have undertook. If it meant I had to work 16 hours a day for a week, I'd gladly take that over dealing with the incompetence of others. I know the way I like things done. They are not the easy way, but they are the right way, and they net the results I seek. That is usually a labor of love more than a way to bring in money.

I sleep much better at night knowing I put in a genuine effort in what I set out to do. Unfortunately, I rarely deal with "wage slaves" who feel the same way about work. What they fail to realize... Profit margins are slim for average quality anything. If you're capable of offering exceptional quality in any product or service you offer, you can charge more. People also call back when they need more work done, or they refer you to others. How can I pay someone more if they are only willing to be "average"?

I have attempted to hire in the past. I even paid decent for the work. Often times, a "helper" stood to do better than I hourly, since much of my time was spent actually securing the work. While I might make $20/hr on the project, when factoring in the time scouting out the work, it may have been closer to $16/hr... And I have even offered up to $18/hr for good help.

Here's what happens when I find "good help"... One guy pukes after 20 minutes of working. Says he doesn't like the smell of oil and is going home. I clearly stated the job would involve (protected) contact with oil and various forms of sludge prior to bringing the guy on... Left high and dry, I'm stuck working 14 hours a day in order to meet the quoted timeline.

Another guy started, and worked ok for a couple hours... Than he started whining about supposed breaks that were required by federal law. According to this work horse, workers are required breaks every 2 hours, paid by the employer. Apparently, he was a laid off auto workers and that's how things ran in the plant. Ya... He didn't last long.

Brought one guy on who tried to tell me what tasks should be assigned to him. Naturally, he wanted the easy stuff... Ya, that didn't work out. Had one guy that wanted to hit the bathroom every hour and half. Being that he was "suited up", that meant he had to remove his protective boot covers, protective suit, gloves, etc... A single bathroom break could easily run 20 minutes.

I have done an awful lot of off the beaten path work in the past. Never have I found any incentive to seek help. It's just not available in the form that I seek... Competent and without tons of baggage. Since I refuse to hire illegals, who many employers seem to prefer, I guess I'll be working in solitude should I continue down this path. From the perspective of a full time employed "wage slave"... I value the security that a steady paycheck offers, without all the hassle of jumping hurdles (finding decent employees).
I'm not going to paint a rosy picture of being a business owner, my mother is one. I don't expect that it's a walk in the park or that it's even easy more times than it's tough, I know it's not. But owning a business isn't for everybody and making them think otherwise is disastrous for many financially. But for people who employ other people, there are certain laws that have to be followed and were passed for a reason. If they can't deal with that, then they shouldn't be an employer.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:59 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,729,541 times
So you bring in $16/hour and yet offer $18/hour pay. I'm not sure how that works.

Sounds like you're the whiner.... you can't judge potential employees and then complain abut them and then complain even more when you have to do the work yourself.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
I am a millenial, sad to see my own generation end up like a bunch of brain dead tools.
It's not my business as to the company you decide to keep.

When you surround yourself with a bunch of brain dead tools, it's sort of, kind of your own fault.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:04 PM

Default Go tea party nut cases!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
You do realize that of those who believed Obama when he said "tax the rich" he was going after small businesses right?
Yeah, keep your political propaganda on the political forums.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:09 PM

189 posts, read 239,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post

Give it up OP. I was once an employee and used to laugh when people would say "they don't care". The reason I laughed is because they didn't understand that they made an agreement to be paid x amount in exchange for their time and skill. Companies are not social institutions. Actually small businesses owners do care about their employees. They are aware that people working for them depend on them to keep the business profitable and able to keep them working. They just don't realize that they voted against the very people who also work hard and employ them.
Exactly. They do care. It's the government, the unfair laws, the overregulations, the heavy taxes that make it so hard for a business owner to run a business, especially hard for a small business owner. 90% of the small businesses fail in the first year. The big corps cannot absorb all the labor surplus. It's not easy for the big corps neither, now they are facing global competition.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:42 PM

29,824 posts, read 24,917,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
So you bring in $16/hour and yet offer $18/hour pay. I'm not sure how that works.

Sounds like you're the whiner.... you can't judge potential employees and then complain abut them and then complain even more when you have to do the work yourself.
I didn't say anything about the total rate in which I bill the work out.

I never offered any type of 40 hour a week job. Only part time/one time project work. I can understand that most of the people worth a damn are chasing 40 hour a week jobs. I could never offer anything along those lines though. When the work was available, I took it. When it wasn't, I wasn't working, and couldn't give work to a helper.

Quote:
They're not all worthless. A fair number of them are, but that is typical of any generation. The term "those damn kids today" was not coined for our generation.

I've met a lot of whiners, but there is some truth to their whining. It is difficult to get by today. Unfortunately, many were not prepared for the challenges they face by the school system or even their parents. Being thrown out to the wolves at adulthood, many of them stumble a bit before they develop the right attitude, work ethic and skill set for success.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:38 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,175,792 times
Quote:

I have a 24-year-old son who's in graduate school now, but when he was in high school he worked on a fruit and berry orchard picking fruit in the summers in 100+ degree heat in Central California for minimum wage. He and most of his friends went to college on scholarships and are serious, hard-working kids. Unfortunately, most of them will never have the career opportunities we, their parents, had, and certainly not our benefits, like generous pensions. I swear I don't understand why there's this general negative attitude about this generation, except that my generation was reviled at that age, and so were the Gen Xers, so maybe it's just the way it always is, that older people make unfair assumptions about younger ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment