Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 09:21 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,091 times

Advertisements

This is the meridian where the Millennial's are coming up against the entrenched establishment. Fifteen years ago I had a college intern working for me on Wall Street who had multiple piercings in her ear (I'm talking like six, including some that looked like tags stapled onto livestock). She was perhaps the most practically brilliant person I've worked with, she just picked up on everything and knew how to run with it. I convinced my boss that we should make her an offer to join us full-time after graduation which he did; she remains one of his all-time favorite hires. Shortly after she started her post-graduate career she celebrated by getting a diamond stud piercing in her nose and it turned out to have zero effect on her abilities.

I don't get tattoo's or piercings, never have and never will. But some of the most remarkable and capable people I've worked with have them and so I've long since concluded that it's just a generational thing. And for the record, my parents generation doesn't much care for business casual either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 07:43 AM

810 posts, read 1,449,978 times
True, mankind's descent into brutality includes self-mutilation for the purpose of vanity.

I'll be dead within a few years and I'm glad for it.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:11 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,061,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
This is the meridian where the Millennial's are coming up against the entrenched establishment. Fifteen years ago I had a college intern working for me on Wall Street who had multiple piercings in her ear (I'm talking like six, including some that looked like tags stapled onto livestock). She was perhaps the most practically brilliant person I've worked with, she just picked up on everything and knew how to run with it. I convinced my boss that we should make her an offer to join us full-time after graduation which he did; she remains one of his all-time favorite hires. Shortly after she started her post-graduate career she celebrated by getting a diamond stud piercing in her nose and it turned out to have zero effect on her abilities.

I don't get tattoo's or piercings, never have and never will. But some of the most remarkable and capable people I've worked with have them and so I've long since concluded that it's just a generational thing. And for the record, my parents generation doesn't much care for business casual either.
I have no doubt that some people with piercings are smart, just as there are plenty of smart people without them. But this is in the context of an office attire. You know, why don't we just abolish all dress codes and people can wear what they want. How about flip flops with a suit?

Old 01-07-2014, 05:55 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I wouldn't find that too appealing in a professional employee. There's nothing saying she has to wear it at work, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Doesn't seem like a big deal. She can always just take it out, right?
As someone who used to have a nose piercing, I'll tell you they are NOT easy to just take in & out! If I'd taken mine out even for a few hours, it would hurt like a you-know-what to get back in there. But they aren't permanent like a tattoo, so she could remove it for good if the boss had an issue with it.

That being said, I think it all depends on the specific work environment and location. Here in the Bay Area, tons of professional folks have tattoos and/or piercings. I'm a librarian of all things, and have multiples of both... never has been an issue, although one library didn't allow visible tattoos (luckily mine are all easy to cover). So it's hard to say without knowing her workplace well enough.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:00 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I have no doubt that some people with piercings are smart, just as there are plenty of smart people without them. But this is in the context of an office attire. You know, why don't we just abolish all dress codes and people can wear what they want. How about flip flops with a suit?
Sounds good to me! Again bringing up the differences in local attitudes, most work places around here have little or no dress code... especially given the average age of our Silicon Valley types, the old suit & tie/pumps has gone the way of the dinosaurs. I remember my father enjoying the change in attitude, when his (corporate management) office ditched the formal dress code - and he was thrilled to go tie-less for the first time in decades.

Where I work, at a public library, the only things that might raise an eye would be items like "wife beaters," open-toed shoes because of the hazards, and maybe overtly sexy/tight outfits. Other than that, it's pretty much anything goes! I'm wearing jeans, clogs, and a casual sweater at work right now.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,380 times
Default its really not a big issue

I have had my nose pierced for over 15 years. I am now a grandma, and I retired was looking for a job. I now have a temp position and was told I can't wear my nose ring... its very small 18g and 14k.I don't think I should have to hide who I am. I am clean!!!! i am not a wacko lol.So whats up with that? I think its a form of control and a bit prejudice. I'd like your feedback!!!!

Old 11-27-2014, 09:27 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,059,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equine09 View Post
I have had my nose pierced for over 15 years. I am now a grandma, and I retired was looking for a job. I now have a temp position and was told I can't wear my nose ring... its very small 18g and 14k.I don't think I should have to hide who I am. I am clean!!!! i am not a wacko lol.So whats up with that? I think its a form of control and a bit prejudice. I'd like your feedback!!!!
It's part of a company's dress code. Some don't permit employees to wear, while at work, visible body piercings beyond the ear lobe. I have see a lot of older people who wear nose and even eyebrow piercings. it's an alternative look that's for sure, but it's not "professional".

If you have a problem with your temp position not allowing you to wear your nose ring, look for another job that will allow you to do so.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:28 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
The only people at my office with nose rings are Indian women. If they can wear them, others should be able to IMHO. They also regularly wear leather thong sandals (aka flip flops) and toe rings, both of which are not allowed under our dress code.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:41 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGunz View Post
My friend is thinking of getting her nose pierced. She works an office job in a moderately liberal/moderately conservative setting. I've told her to wait and see, or ask around about it. She says there's nothing in policy preventing it in the dress code. She's said she has even noticed some companies using employee models with tattoos and piercings in their recruitment ads lately. Have you noticed society loosening up in this regard? Advice (so I can show her this thread)?

Recommend job search using keyword Nez Perce.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:02 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,770,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equine09 View Post
It's the company's dress code. If you don't like it, find a different company to work for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment