Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 09:59 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,481,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
^This. My previous boss was a divorced 55 year old women that LIVED for work. It was the reason she was divorced, and she was company all the way. Would call and text me at 8:00 at night on occasion. Its a very difficult situation because you are perceived as lazy to her if you work less than she does.
Oh jeez, I've worked for a number of these. I've realized that the only way around it is to work the hours you are supposed to work and show no signs of life otherwise. Brown nosing by answering emails/phone calls at 9pm doesn't work. For promotions, they will pick people they like over people that do the job better any day. Once you set the precedent that you can be reached only during work hours they will stop bothering you. If the boss calls you into the office and asks why you didn't respond to an email at 9pm at night, then you have the conversation about boundaries. At that point it can go either way, but unless it specifically states some where that you have to answer emails at all times during the day, I don't see what they can do. The people that live to work will never see your side of it anyway.

On a side note, if I was 55 divorced I would find a hobby. Who the hell wants to work all the damn time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 10:04 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
"Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part"

The only way to deal with managers like this is to adopt a dose of apathy and stand by your guns. It doesn't sound like he's directly ordered you to cover these unplanned shifts and threatened your job if you don't, so when he asks/begs just simply say sorry, no can do. Don't get upset, don't argue, don't ask why he let others off before securing their replacement, don't try to solve his problem. Just calmly and quietly say sorry. It sounds to me like you have been a bit of a pushover so far and given in to get him out of a bind. That will only make you the person he turns to in these situatiuons.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:21 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,332,501 times
I would agree with the advice so far: just don't be available.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:27 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,481,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post

The only way to deal with managers like this is to adopt a dose of apathy and stand by your guns. It doesn't sound like he's directly ordered you to cover these unplanned shifts and threatened your job if you don't, so when he asks/begs just simply say sorry, no can do. Don't get upset, don't argue, don't ask why he let others off before securing their replacement, don't try to solve his problem. Just calmly and quietly say sorry. It sounds to me like you have been a bit of a pushover so far and given in to get him out of a bind. That will only make you the person he turns to in these situatiuons.
This is totally true. Don't get upset that other people get extra time off or whatever. I've learned to be this way. What my boss does for person A in no way applies to me. If he fails to have coverage, not my problem either.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:34 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,153,827 times
Just say no.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:33 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,556,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywriter110 View Post
I work for a large, well-known company...
If you worked for me I'd expect 16 hours a day 7 days a week. Albeit you'd get ownership for your efforts.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:39 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post

Bingo. Considering that this manager has now at least twice allowed too many people time off he doesn't sound too bright.

The OP is a pushover. I notice he mentioned the manager didn't cancel his plans when he had no one to work, well that is what needs to happen. It might take the manager having to cancel his plans to learn how to schedule.

Not your problem OP.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:42 AM

50 posts, read 76,369 times
I appreciate all the help.

I e-mailed my boss back to explain the conflicts I had with the new schedule, and I am waiting for him to respond to me. We are in a busy time right now and have all worked different hours, so I was expecting a change in a few weeks after the busy season was over. But he just reached out to everyone and said "this is the new schedule effective immediately." Just a surprise to have it sprung on me right now.

So we'll see what comes out of it when we get a chance to talk.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:58 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,237,202 times
Clarification question to the OP:

Were the onsite colleagues consulted on the new schedule that your boss published? You stated that you were not consulted.

Permanent schedule changes in a multi-shift environment must be done with all participants. People do have obligations that are unmoveable (school, children, second jobs).

My theory has to do with the fact that you work remotely. The boss may be a talker/ negotiator type, so that those colleagues who are in the office can talk the boss into the concessions they want regarding scheduling. Since you are not physically there, and I suspect you mostly communicate via text/ e-mail like many remote workers, you are at a disadvantage. This boss may not be able to handle negotiation without face-to-face talk. How quickly does the boss reply to e-mails?

I've worked with a few of these people while working remotely, and it is maddening, especially when changes that affect everyone are made. You may have to go onsite for a few hours per week just as "face time maintenance." I've seen managers who only know "management while walking around" and who may as well be illiterate, with a complete lack of response to written communications. When pressed on something that was presented multiple times in writing, they might act totally surprised -- "I don't recall talking about this." For some people, talking is the only communication they do - both inbound and outbound.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:01 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,548,159 times
OP- I tend to agree with others in that I think you need to assert yourself a bit more than you have been with your boss.

You might enjoy this blog - Ask a Manager
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment