Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 06:06 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,672,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
Why is everyone jumping on the OP?

They were just a little surprised by the response. Hopefully this girl learns not to mention that the next time she gets a job offer. It's her first entry level job so I'd cut her some slack.
People are jumping all over the OP because she is publicly "knocking" a candidate simply for a "rookie" mistake. She is then reveling upon the HR department "eating her alive" presumably paying her as low a wage as possible. And to top it off after spreading her negative opinion publicly of this person she is still going to hire this person who she is demeaning. I'm glad I do not have to work at whatever employer is being discussed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 06:10 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,014,351 times
Of course we won't rescind the offer. Honesty is something we value of course. It just is surprising to hear a candidate say that. I've hired and interviewed people many times and this is the first time I have heard that sort of response lol.

I told my boss let's not tell that to the rest of the team, they might tease her about that. He commented that he hopes she doesn't have helicopter parents...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
If you are holding this against her, then you don't deserve an honest employee like her. Go seek out a bser or smooth talker if that's what you're looking for.
I think you are over-reacting... I not once said we will rescind the offer or that we want a smooth talker (though some posters responded to do that), but we do want someone who is capable of making her own decisions. She could have easily not mentioned her parents and that would have still been honest. I agree it's not something you expect a 22/23 year old to say. Even when I was 16 and asked if I had reliable transportation, I said yes, they didn't need to know I was using my mom's car to get to work.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:12 PM

97 posts, read 145,865 times
My gawd atleast she didn't bring her cat in a cage to the interview.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:14 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,344,935 times
your reaction is perfectly normal and reasonable.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:14 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
At least she didn't bring her parents to the interview. Apparently that's a new trend among young adults applying for jobs.
I only hear about this "trend" online, but have never seen or heard about it in person.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:16 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,244,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
I only hear about this "trend" online, but have never seen or heard about it in person.
Then all the articles I cited must be lying.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:25 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
Then all the articles I cited must be lying.
You cited one source that suggested that 3% of young graduates take their parents into an interview. 3% of a population doing anything is not a trend.

The only thing referred to as a "trend" was the parent's increased involvement in job-related decisions. Which is completely different than taking parents to an interview.

Nothing you cited is lying. Moderator cut: snip

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 01-21-2014 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: Removed unnecessary remark

Old 01-21-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
People are jumping all over the OP because she is publicly "knocking" a candidate simply for a "rookie" mistake. She is then reveling upon the HR department "eating her alive" presumably paying her as low a wage as possible. And to top it off after spreading her negative opinion publicly of this person she is still going to hire this person who she is demeaning. I'm glad I do not have to work at whatever employer is being discussed.
I'm knocking the candidate? Demeaning her? Nope- merely sharing an experience, like everyone else here does. I'm not sitting here giving out her name and number telling everyone to call her and laugh at her because I'm rescinding an offer. I still think she's a highly capable person, maybe a little green though. AND I told the boss it's best nobody else in the team knows, I think we are all pretty anonymous here anyways

I'm not reveling in HR eating her alive either. I wrote lol but I'm not clasping my hands together in glee. I've dealt with our HR, I'm 100% sure their job is to get people in with lowest possible pay... I went into the company with 8 years FT experience and a master's degree and they tried to act like I didn't have any leverage either. And I already had a job!

I'm worried her parents are going to put her off to a bad start saying she should get paid more like $20+ an hour and HR will flat out tell her no. The most this position pays is $18/hr but with 6 mos FT experience, she won't get that. And to top it off, she's not working, so they have even more leverage against her. Sadly many parents don't have a clue how different things are now for our generation and they could easily misguide her. They won't realize just how lucky their daughter is to get a full-time, permanent position with benefits, when our company pretty much usually hires people as temps first, then 1-2+ years later considers you for a FT/perm. BTW pretty much most of the companies around here hire people as temps first, I personally don't like that policy.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
Reminds me of the my interview for the state police. Yes, I was a state trooper once upon a time. One of the questions was have you ever done drugs. Let's be honest with ourselves. Out of 10 people, 9 have tried cannabis. You know what they did? They weeded out everyone who said yes, even the ones that did it decades ago and are completely clean nowadays. I'll tell you this much, every single person who passed the interview process and got hired was a damn liar.

Can't people just appreciate honesty for once? This girl is inexperienced, super honest about her indecision, and you guys are considering creaming her for it? I'll be honest. If your business fails, I'll be there laughing for even considering contacting a 2nd candidate because your 1st candidate had to consult with her parents.
Can you please show me WHERE I said we are considering rescinding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
We just sent an offer call/letter to a candidate for a Research Associate 1 position. The girl is fresh out of college, just graduated last year, has maybe 6 months of work experience, etc.

Today we get a call back saying we'll know her answer tomorrow because she has to discuss it with her parents.

Huh?

My boss and I were like okay either she's got no reliable form of transportation, or she's got helicopter parents.

My guess is she got offered $15/hr and her parents are going to talk to her about "negotiating a higher salary" when she's got nothing to negotiate with... everyone else who applied and was interviewed had a degree and more or less the same experience.

This will be interesting because if she tried asking for more HR would eat her alive lol.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:36 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,244,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You cited one source that suggested that 3% of young graduates take their parents into an interview. 3% of a population doing anything is not a trend.

The only thing referred to as a "trend" was the parent's increased involvement in job-related decisions. Which is completely different than taking parents to an interview.

Nothing you cited is lying. You are the one who is lying.

Well allrighty, then. Fortunately, I learned long ago that it is possible to have unexpressed thoughts.

I'm thinking some now.

Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment