Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 10:29 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,498,243 times

Advertisements

I'll be doing a talk on the pros and cons of hiring for company culture, and I was wondering if anyone had any good arguments against cultural fit being such an important factor in today's hiring process. The trend I see in nearly all companies is a ton of emphasis and effort placed in finding people who fit with the company's mold on personal levels. Skills, qualifications, and competence by themselves hardly seem to get you anywhere these days.

I've always personally been against the big emphasis on cultural fit hiring, because as someone who puts massive effort into buffing up my skills and qualifications, I often feel discriminated against when the guy with 5 years less experience than me gets the job instead because he fit the company culture and I didn't. I also feel it lets employers be way too picky about hires, leading to lengthy interview processes, understaffed teams, and lots of unemployed folks getting led on. These are just all my feelings though, and I'm just one guy. Feelings can hardly be used for evidence in an informative speech!

Does anyone have any good arguments of why it might be better to hire just for higher competence rather than better company fit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 10:35 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,605 times
One big argument I see is people won't work well together. I guess it's more important for people to be able to get along because they'll have to work with various people even if they aren't truly competent. It's easier to work with people and teach them if you like them, than it is to teach someone and work with them if you aren't interested in being work buddies.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:37 PM

400 posts, read 1,509,082 times
its leads to more productive balanced reams due to diversity of ideas/ backgrounds

Old 01-24-2014, 10:41 PM

I realized, I answered your post as to why people DO hire for cultural fit. Nowadays there's more of an emphasis on why fit is better than competency.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
I realized, I answered your post as to why people DO hire for cultural fit. Nowadays there's more of an emphasis on why fit is better than competency.
Yea, there are definitely lots of reasons why hiring for fit is important, but I'm really curious about the benefits of hiring for skills/competence instead.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:23 PM

928 posts, read 1,101,576 times
Unless your job is highly specialized and involves hard to acquire skills such as being a surgeon, engineer, scientist, etc. most other skills can be learned if trained properly in a few months. So called people skills take a lot longer. What employers are looking for is someone who will fit the mold, toe the line, follow orders without questioning or complaining. They don't want people who stand out, have an opinion, or have quirky personalities. Also it is really hard to work with antisocial people or folks who simply lack social skills.
I am determined in my next job to keep my mouth shut, not complain, do exactly as I am told and never question my boss. Not doing these things in the past has only brought me grief and tension with employers.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:27 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,576,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
Yea, there are definitely lots of reasons why hiring for fit is important, but I'm really curious about the benefits of hiring for skills/competence instead.
No benefits from hiring people who only focus on skills. Frankly, I think people like you make lousy colleagues. I speak from experience from having worked with mediocre but social people and very competent antisocial know-it-all's. What's worse is when one of you guys become a manager, because now you get to make everyone else's life miserable.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:28 PM

Okay, well that's easier.

1. Hiring for skills saves you money. There's a reason why you need someone who knows how to do the job or at least has a good understanding of how to do the job. A person with even just part of the skill set is going to already have the resources to seek out the people and information they require to fulfill their duties.

2. Hiring for competency saves a company from errors. These errors can hurt the company's image, hurt their relationships with clients or vendors, or hurt their finances. If someone is competent at their position, a supervisor doesn't have to worry about keeping tabs on them to ensure they do what they're supposed to do correctly. People who are skilled/or competent at their jobs have accepted the legal obligations to perform their duties.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:34 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
Okay, well that's easier.

1. Hiring for skills saves you money. There's a reason why you need someone who knows how to do the job or at least has a good understanding of how to do the job. A person with even just part of the skill set is going to already have the resources to seek out the people and information they require to fulfill their duties.

2. Hiring for competency saves a company from errors. These errors can hurt the company's image, hurt their relationships with clients or vendors, or hurt their finances. If someone is competent at their position, a supervisor doesn't have to worry about keeping tabs on them to ensure they do what they're supposed to do correctly. People who are skilled/or competent at their jobs have accepted the legal obligations to perform their duties.
Based on the way the OP phrased the question in the subject, it looks like he's comparing hiring for:

Cultural Fit ∧ Competency ∧ Qualifications vs. ¬Cultural Fit ∧ Competency ∧ Qualifications

Old 01-25-2014, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
No benefits from hiring people who only focus on skills. Frankly, I think people like you make lousy colleagues. I speak from experience from having worked with mediocre but social people and very competent antisocial know-it-all's. What's worse is when one of you guys become a manager, because now you get to make everyone else's life miserable.
To each their own. Frankly I think working with adult children who treat work like an adult playground and are unreliable, unskilled, and incompetent are a pain in the ass to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search