Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 07:17 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,895 times

Advertisements

I'll go out on a limb, though this will probably be shot down pretty quickly. lol

Employed are employed because:
A) they have connections to jobs
B) they started working a job in their teenage years
C) both A and B

Unemployed are unemployed because they don't have A or didn't do B, or both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 07:44 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,583 times
Lets look at a different angle, between people who lost their jobs in the last few years and their co-workers who kept their jobs (or got a better one).
It will involve all the different reasoning people have offered. In my field (technology), major corporations I worked for, the ones who lost their jobs are
1)very low performers (rock bottom), possibly folks who had 'connections' when they got in
2)the ones who screwed up and never redeemed themselves
3)the folks who take more than they put in
4)the redundant

Old 02-11-2014, 07:55 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
You do realize that you can WORK while collecting UI, don't you? As long as you don't make over your benefit amount. They deduct earnings over $100, excess earnings, dollar of dollar, until you are at benefit amount.

That is what people don't realize, working a PT job, extends your UI benefits, and you can re qualify for a new claim as well, with the quarters of the higher paying job.

Working helps people, even a PT job, for lower wages, you are still out working. It is a mind set. Some people just don't get it. If they can't make $2000 a pay period, they don't want the job. Elitism.

That does not work well, in this new economy, unless you have high demand skills.
That or because they were never in the situation to be on unemployment, they don't understand that. Plus state regulation varies. One state may be like that, another may not.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:10 PM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Eh

I wouldn't say that is unemployed is somehow detached. Sometimes it's just by agreement.

If you have a non competitive agreement it can be months if not years. I know of people that could not start working because their severance would be discontinued if they started. It was more of a wink wink nudge nudge concept as even the other employer would know they are coming but could not say.

Working in teenage years is kinda iffy.I worked the second I turned 14 but at the same point many of the people there were in their 60's to 80's and they are deceased now.

I would argue that not everyone is able to move, not everyone has a car in the best shape, not everyone is able to go to all interviews or only selects a physical area, being able to find jobs before others know about them etc. I wouldn't say not all jobs are posted but certainly not all are advertised or at least that well.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:34 PM

67 posts, read 140,599 times
The 6.6 unemployment rate is flawed. It's hard to keep statistics 100% accurate in a nation with hundreds of millions of people to account for. What would be interesting to see is how many of that 6.6% are continuously unemployed, and the percent of those continuously unemployed whom are actually TRYING to find work, not just seeking the unemployment benefit. Where I am from (UK), there are plenty of "dole bludgers" who don't even try looking for work, and many single mothers who find it difficult to find jobs in businesses which are willing to be flexible to the parent's needs.

I am a firm believer in survival of the fittest, even in this modern age. I have never had trouble finding a job. I didn't work part-time while I was studying at college, but my largest period of being unemployed was a mere three weeks. This was after a three week holiday after finishing another position, so that's 6 weeks in total.

Comparing myself to people I know whom are "continuously" unemployed, I factor this to a few things:

1) I was well connected to the people whom got me my current position. Being well connected is highly important.
2) With no children or no house to sell, I am extremely flexible, relocatable and reliable. I think this, too, is highly important.
3) Above all, I am hard working, and somewhat ambitious and clued up in my industry - I am okay at interviews. This is also important - this is what gets you the job after the introductions.
4) A job's a job. I know exactly what sort of role I want in 10 years time, but I'm not scared of cleaning toilets if I need to. Nothing is "beyond me", I would do any sort of job if it means I don't have to use taxpayer money. This is way better for the economy, anyway. Besides, I enjoy working. Working is what made and makes mankind.

I think if someone is unemployed and works tirelessly at getting a job, they can get it, pronto.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:38 PM

34 posts, read 63,570 times
I'm gonna kinda veer off a little bit here- but mostly on-topic. I also just need to rant a little.

I've just returned from a job interview. Today. A retail management position- RETAIL. Selling shoes in a mall. I last worked retail in the 1990s. I've been doing web/ graphic design/ ecommerce since 2000-but the reliable, permanent, full-time position has been elusive and I've mostly been freelancing and contracting and less than part-timing over the past 3 years. Just casting a wider net, because, y'know I'm in "TAKE A JOB, ANY 'EFFING JOB!" mode.

Some highlights:

Interviewer: "Tell me about a time when you spoke up about something that would have been easier to keep quite about?"

What I DID NOT say:

"You mean the time that I called out an employer for willfully mis-catagorizing a group of freelancers/ contractors in order to save on labor costs? The time that I pointed out all of the state of CA EDD guidelines for using freelancers and contractors that they were in violation of? Oh that? Yeah. I should have kept quite about that. Oh sure, I, along with my work group, ended up being offered permanent (part time) positions as a result of my speaking up. I was given a much higher wage, retro-wages, along with a non-disclosure agreement. So, what happened? Well, over the following year, I was ostracized and ignored by upper management and little by little had my responsibilities/ input diminished to the point of being useless.

...not that I would be a trouble-maker employee selling your fine, Chinese made footwear. Because, y'know, don't want to put out any "red flags" or anything like that!"

I ended up giving some measly answer about having to cut off a popular social program that I was running (at my current less-than part time job) because the quality and effectiveness of the program was questionable.

Other questions, FYI :

"Tell me about a time where you had to go that "extra mile" to get a job done and make a client happy?"

"Tell me about a time where you had to work with someone that you may have had differences with and how did you make it work?"

Fair, standard, dull retail work questions. No fault for that.

Anyway, didn't feel much rapport with my interviewer- and then of course, my wheels start spinning- is it my age? Is my current part-time job a problem? Is part time work one of those "red flags" ? Is it my being out of the traditional retail environment for almost 15 years a problem? Yeah- maybe all of that. But, you gotta take these interviews and stir your cosmic soup. At the very least it's just practice.

Now here's where I want to go dark. And I hope all of these hiring managers/ HR people in every industry take this to heart-

Do you understand what's going on in our country right now? Because, when I feel that you cannot look past my age, my imperfect, honest employment history and see a capable, reliable person- I know that you don't. Multiply that by MILLIONS.

At the very least, I hope all of you that are employed have some basic kind-hearted understanding-not colored by your politics- and would stand with the unemployed, long-term unemployed, under-employed and displaced workers- your fellow Americans. Know that this darkness is stalking each and everyone of you.

When I'm at my darkest/ lowest- I wish for the entire economy to take a nose dive and for this pain to be spread around a little more deeply- because then, finally something will get done about this.

Though, fear not! I'm an optimist to the core! I know that I am fortunate, I'm grateful and I am able to see the silver linings in my own situation. It's just that I'm an American and I expect more. I'd rather give than receive. I've been conditioned to expect more from the years I've invested in hard work, education and trying to do the right thing always. I want more for my children and your children, too.

...and that's it. Imma go find another thread and talk about Pizza.

Thank you for letting me vent, people.

Last edited by TypoGlyco; 02-11-2014 at 09:50 PM..

Old 02-11-2014, 09:44 PM

@ FreeSpiritButterfly

"I am a firm believer in survival of the fittest"

Pretty dry, dispassionate view and I appreciate that. I like to call this period that we're in as "The Great Shift" or, alternately, "The Great Shake Out".

God help us, though. (Yep- I'll take it to one of the religion threads...)

Old 02-11-2014, 09:56 PM

A little off topic- but this movie resonated with me and the employment situation in general.

"Moneyball"

A positive movie- no syrup. Plenty of people might need that right now.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:18 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,389,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespiritbutterfly View Post
The 6.6 unemployment rate is flawed. It's hard to keep statistics 100% accurate in a nation with hundreds of millions of people to account for. What would be interesting to see is how many of that 6.6% are continuously unemployed, and the percent of those continuously unemployed whom are actually TRYING to find work, not just seeking the unemployment benefit. Where I am from (UK), there are plenty of "dole bludgers" who don't even try looking for work, and many single mothers who find it difficult to find jobs in businesses which are willing to be flexible to the parent's needs.

I am a firm believer in survival of the fittest, even in this modern age. I have never had trouble finding a job. I didn't work part-time while I was studying at college, but my largest period of being unemployed was a mere three weeks. This was after a three week holiday after finishing another position, so that's 6 weeks in total.

Comparing myself to people I know whom are "continuously" unemployed, I factor this to a few things:

1) I was well connected to the people whom got me my current position. Being well connected is highly important.
2) With no children or no house to sell, I am extremely flexible, relocatable and reliable. I think this, too, is highly important.
3) Above all, I am hard working, and somewhat ambitious and clued up in my industry - I am okay at interviews. This is also important - this is what gets you the job after the introductions.
4) A job's a job. I know exactly what sort of role I want in 10 years time, but I'm not scared of cleaning toilets if I need to. Nothing is "beyond me", I would do any sort of job if it means I don't have to use taxpayer money. This is way better for the economy, anyway. Besides, I enjoy working. Working is what made and makes mankind.

I think if someone is unemployed and works tirelessly at getting a job, they can get it, pronto.
Um, you are from the UK. Don't they actually have job placement offices where they send you to jobs?
I have this suspicion that if you stood up in the pub and said this, you would get the snot kicked out of you (especially in an Irish pub).

Old 02-11-2014, 11:11 PM

"Those who are out of work haven't done anything wrong."

That's a big thing for everyone to understand.

"It ain't you." Period.

Ultimately, I feel we're at a point where technology and human input are missing each other by a long shot. So, it's way beyond "you".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment