Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 03:50 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times

Advertisements

So it looks like I'm in a situation where I'm having a problem with a supervisor. Unlike a lot of people who have problems with bullying bosses, mean bosses, and unrealistic expectations, my issue is actually the fact that this lady is absolutely scatter-brained, disorganized and does not meet the minimum amount of knowledge in the account and auditing profession for her level (I work for an accounting firm). Her scatter-brained personality also translates to the team and just stressed everyone out.

I will add, she is nice, a person with good morals, ethical, and polite, but she is just so bad at project management. Heck, I am probably going to get a good review from our current audit because I've stepped up to the plate. I have no ill will toward this woman at all. So I really need to tread carefully on how to address this.

To sum it up, I work in public accounting. All of our audit work undergoes 3 levels of review, it is typical for seniors and managers to leave little notes on each file with their thoughts and suggestions on how to change things and making them better. Basically, my job is to get things to "75%" then seniors and managers come in and we work to finalize an audit procedure.

This lady, however, keeps leaving me contradictory notes. For example, I completed one of my tasks and she asked me to walk her through the process. Most of it was fine, but she had a few changes and some things were wrong. These changes take an hour or two to make. No problem at all. No complaints for me, I do the changes, and send it back to her review. Then today, she sends me a note saying I need to make this change to my audit document, because blah blah blah. The changes she wants are exactly the way my work was before. The issue is, she is totally oblivious to the fact that she made me change it in the first place because she is so scatterbrained. This is another 2-3 hours to change everything back.

I work in a client facing profession constrained by a certain number of budgeted hours. I'm supposed to get my stuff done in a certain amount of time. I have no issues making changes and doing the work, but this is like the 6th or 7th time she has told me to make this change to a document that was correct in the first place, make me change it to what she thinks, then she makes me change it back, totally forgetting she asked me to make the change in the first place. This is just an example but her mess ups are costing me like 20 hours on the budget.

How do I go about having this addressed by HR? I have documentation, I have coworkers who agree with me. I'm not out to bring people down, but she needs some type of intervention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 04:17 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post

This lady, however, keeps leaving me contradictory notes. For example, I completed one of my tasks and she asked me to walk her through the process. Most of it was fine, but she had a few changes and some things were wrong. These changes take an hour or two to make. No problem at all. No complaints for me, I do the changes, and send it back to her review. Then today, she sends me a note saying I need to make this change to my audit document, because blah blah blah. The changes she wants are exactly the way my work was before. The issue is, she is totally oblivious to the fact that she made me change it in the first place because she is so scatterbrained. This is another 2-3 hours to change everything back.
WHen she does this, do you tell her?? How does she react?

Old 02-15-2014, 04:27 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
So it looks like I'm in a situation where I'm having a problem with a supervisor. Unlike a lot of people who have problems with bullying bosses, mean bosses, and unrealistic expectations, my issue is actually the fact that this lady is absolutely scatter-brained, disorganized and does not meet the minimum amount of knowledge in the account and auditing profession for her level (I work for an accounting firm). Her scatter-brained personality also translates to the team and just stressed everyone out.

I will add, she is nice, a person with good morals, ethical, and polite, but she is just so bad at project management. Heck, I am probably going to get a good review from our current audit because I've stepped up to the plate. I have no ill will toward this woman at all. So I really need to tread carefully on how to address this.

To sum it up, I work in public accounting. All of our audit work undergoes 3 levels of review, it is typical for seniors and managers to leave little notes on each file with their thoughts and suggestions on how to change things and making them better. Basically, my job is to get things to "75%" then seniors and managers come in and we work to finalize an audit procedure.

I work in a client facing profession constrained by a certain number of budgeted hours. I'm supposed to get my stuff done in a certain amount of time. I have no issues making changes and doing the work, but this is like the 6th or 7th time she has told me to make this change to a document that was correct in the first place, make me change it to what she thinks, then she makes me change it back, totally forgetting she asked me to make the change in the first place. This is just an example but her mess ups are costing me like 20 hours on the budget.

How do I go about having this addressed by HR? I have documentation, I have coworkers who agree with me. I'm not out to bring people down, but she needs some type of intervention.
Tread very, very carefully. Many people are more knowledgeable than their immediate supervisor, especially if the supervisor is just learning. It's usually best to keep that to oneself.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:33 PM

160 posts, read 267,216 times
Maybe she isn't such a scatterbrain and she is purposely documenting corrections on peoples work product and then having them go back and do it the same way to look more knowledgeable than she is and prevent anyone from advancing into her job.

Just another angle to explore.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:43 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reenale View Post
Maybe she isn't such a scatterbrain and she is purposely documenting corrections on peoples work product and then having them go back and do it the same way to look more knowledgeable than she is and prevent anyone from advancing into her job.

Just another angle to explore.
I doubt it's this. If her job is occupied (with her in it), then how can someone advance to her job? If she leaves, she wouldn't care wh gets the job after her.

No need to see conspiracies around every corner.

To the OP, have you discussed this with her? Have you shown her the delays it causes?

Don't go to HR. It will only backfire on you. This is not an HR matter.

Work this out between you and the manager. If that doesn't work and YOU can't seem to just let it go (crap happens in life), then at the most, go to her boss and bring it up. However, if you do this, people might see you differently.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:58 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
Quote:

Don't go around her to HR but do whatever you can do to help her out.

Do never burn someone for you might be the next one to burn.

Old 02-15-2014, 05:02 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
Welcome to the GAWDawful corporate world.......

Look, man.

Going over budget is gonna be on her arse, not yours.

You must be delicate while training your boss.

A sweetie she may be, but a dumbass she still is.

Old 02-15-2014, 05:15 PM

160 posts, read 267,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I doubt it's this. If her job is occupied (with her in it), then how can someone advance to her job? If she leaves, she wouldn't care wh gets the job after her.

No need to see conspiracies around every corner.

To the OP, have you discussed this with her? Have you shown her the delays it causes?

Don't go to HR. It will only backfire on you. This is not an HR matter.

Work this out between you and the manager. If that doesn't work and YOU can't seem to just let it go (crap happens in life), then at the most, go to her boss and bring it up. However, if you do this, people might see you differently.
I think calling it conspiracy is a very strong word to use in this case. If you open your eyes, you would be very surprised at the lengths incompetent people go to in order to mask their in competencies and maintain a position they are not qualified for. If that means making other people look like they are making errors than so be.

Going to her boss is the worst advice as it will create additional problems for the OP.

I highly doubt she is stupid or she would not be in her position but incompetent seems more likely. Never underestimate the power of incompetent people.

Old 02-15-2014, 05:19 PM

120 posts, read 212,741 times
I understand what you are going through. I have had a boss similar to yours years ago, she used make changes and then changes again and go back to the where we were. Back and forth like that. However, as some responders suggested, I suggest that you handle the issue gingerly. If you can work it out between the two of you without the HR's interference would be the best solution. Have you had a heart to heart talk with her regarding this?

Old 02-15-2014, 05:23 PM

48 posts, read 49,999 times
Quote:

These are times when people can't find jobs. Let this pass until jobs become more available then quit.
My advise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment