Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 06:01 AM

41 posts, read 79,155 times

Advertisements

Check out the SF86. You fill out this form for both a TS and Secret level clearance. You are required to report foreign nationals on the form by whom you have been bound to by affection, obligation or close and continuing contact in the past 7 years. Foreigners who you casually meet and do not maintain contact with do not need to be reported unless they exhibited a suspicious interest in you, your job, or what you have access to. After your clearance is granted, you must report any new relationships with foreign nationals to your security officer, as well as any foreign travel. Plenty of people with clearance travel all over the world. The most important factor is that you honestly report what is required and follow all security protocol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 12:19 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,807,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ml123 View Post
Would it affect the clearance process negatively if I exchange contact info such as email or Facebook info with foreigners while traveling?
No.

Quote:
Would it be bad if I accept an invitation with a foreigner to have dinner together at a restaurant?
No.

Quote:
Or go around some tourist sites?
No.

Quote:
In general, is it bad to keep in touch with foreigners? (Assuming they do not ask me about anything that would tigger security flags).
No.

Quote:
I thought about making a policy for myself to make no foreign contacts. But life is long and who knows whether I will work as a federal contractor forever. International connections might become useful career wise someday. It seems overly shortsighted/restrictive that I should not make any foreign Facebook friends just because of the possibility of security clearance issues? What do you guys think?
Go ahead and talk to foreigners and have fun, heck, I even married a foreigner while having my TS SCI in the military, and went on to obtain my TS in the fed gov. I know more foreigners than Americans, and have traveled extensively and still do.

They key with obtaining and maintain a security clearance is not who you know or where you go, it is your;

- finances.
- conflicting data on your clearance forms.

Old 01-24-2022, 07:42 PM

4 posts, read 4,903 times
As long as your finances are good you are good

Old 01-25-2022, 12:13 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,268,769 times
We've been waiting 8 years for that sage advice. Hope it worked out for him.

Old 01-25-2022, 01:20 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,955,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonbonfay View Post
Check out the SF86. You fill out this form for both a TS and Secret level clearance. You are required to report foreign nationals on the form by whom you have been bound to by affection, obligation or close and continuing contact in the past 7 years. Foreigners who you casually meet and do not maintain contact with do not need to be reported unless they exhibited a suspicious interest in you, your job, or what you have access to. After your clearance is granted, you must report any new relationships with foreign nationals to your security officer, as well as any foreign travel. Plenty of people with clearance travel all over the world. The most important factor is that you honestly report what is required and follow all security protocol.
Technically on the e-QIP form the question is as follows:

Quote:
Do you have, or have you had, close and/or continuing contact with a foreign national within the last seven (7) years with whom you, or your spouse, or cohabitant are bound by affection, influence, common interests, and/or obligation? Include associates as well as relatives, not previously listed in Section 18.
Now if you have in-laws from your marriage that are foreign-nationals, then list their names, addresses, and frequency of contact below.

Note the underlined part, ONLY REPORT those "you, or your spouse, or cohabitant are bound by affection, influence, common interests, and/or obligation". So NO NEED TO REPORT those with casual contacts including professional associations.

To use an extreme example, I am in California and every time I go into a fast-food store I come in contact with a Foreign National, even perhaps an ILLEGAL ALIENT. I used this example to ask my Security Officer and watch them quickly back-track their statement to "Report EVERY TIME when you're in contact with a Foreign National".

After you receive your clearance, there's common sense on when to report to your Security Officer on anything unusual activity. For example, if a professional contact asks you about the particular of your jobs that is sensitive in nature, you should evade the question with generalities. But if he/she is persistent in asking further questions, then an alarm should set off in your head that this person has an unusual interest in my classified work. That's when you should report them.

Also, do not be a potential subject for blackmails. So don't get into debt, don't be seduced to have an extramarital affairs, and don't associate with known criminal elements. Another word - Common Sense.

Old 01-25-2022, 01:47 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,955,310 times
To answer your specific questions in your OP

Quote:
I travel for vacation internationally from time to time. Sometimes while on vacation, I meet foreigners. For example, I might meet someone from China or Japan or Germany.

Would it affect the clearance process negatively if I exchange contact info such as email or Facebook info with foreigners while traveling? Would it be bad if I accept an invitation with a foreigner to have dinner together at a restaurant? Or go around some tourist sites?
The short answer is "NO". See my post above, unless it's those "you, or your spouse, or cohabitant are bound by affection, influence, common interests, and/or obligation".

I meet foreign nationals through work, vacations, family, and through online professional networking. You DO NOT need to report them, but only if an attractive person tried to have sex with you and you ENDED UP having sex with that person (Not that it makes a difference but I'd imagine it's worse if both of you are of the SAME SEX). That would fall into "bounded by affection", not to mention potential for blackmail.

Another example, suppose your wife is from China and her parents still lives in China and the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) knows that your work involved in a classified area. You would be subject to a high probability of "influence... and/or obligation". That would make you a higher risk but that is for the Agency to decide if they would grant you a clearance with this information. You do, however; need to disclose this information. It's not a category denial either, I have a co-worker who was born & raised in China but she has a security clearance because the nature of her work, for example.

Quote:
In general, is it bad to keep in touch with foreigners? (Assuming they do not ask me about anything that would tigger security flags). I thought about making a policy for myself to make no foreign contacts. But life is long and who knows whether I will work as a federal contractor forever. International connections might become useful career wise someday. It seems overly shortsighted/restrictive that I should not make any foreign Facebook friends just because of the possibility of security clearance issues? What do you guys think?
It's not bad to maintain professional contacts as long as they don't ask "funny questions" that triggers alarms in your head. For example, I would be alarm if someone ask me "how do you build a bomb?" and I would report this person regardless whether a foreign national or a U.S. citizen.

Old 01-25-2022, 02:03 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,882,138 times
So net-net.... Pre-Clearance required to drink a Margarita in Cancun with an Instagram model from Brazil?

Old 01-26-2022, 03:39 AM

30,619 posts, read 18,203,012 times
Your organization/agency/government agency that has granted you a clearance should have additional guidance. Some agencies may require you to provide foreign contact reports on any foreign nationals that you have a close or continuing relationship with. Yes, this can include hookups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment