Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 08:53 PM

7,937 posts, read 7,847,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerb_Seeker View Post
I'm pretty familiar with current issues facing Assyrian, Chaldean, Armenian, and Greek Orthodox Christians in Syria, Turkey and Northern Iraq as well as Copts in Egypt. Unfortunately, I doubt the CIA has interests in these minority groups that have almost no influence or power in the region. I know Urdu speakers, I could probably learn some proficiency in the language from them.

I had a friend in my graduate studies who spoke Arabic and the FBI actually approached him in person with a job offer.
Some of the groups you have mentioned are actually sought after from contractors (**cough Blackwater cough **) because they know the area and can be trusted more than potential extremists. So although they might not have influence and power in the region they can tend to blend. Also keep in mind just interpreting (vs translating) is a huge advantage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 11:17 AM

260 posts, read 606,248 times
At the very moment, trades look like a better bet than a college degree. The market is saturated with degree holders, so you need to be in the top 10%-20% of college students (in terms of grades, internship exp., etc.) to have have a fighting chance at getting a return on your education. If you're not super-excited about college, then don't go.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:24 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,806,156 times
College has become a glorified trade school.

Most people go to college not for the purpose of becoming educated but to get whatever they need so they can get a job in a particular field.

In many job fields you are required to take certain required courses, get a very specific degree. Very much like trades but you're not paid while learning like you might be as an apprentice in a trade, you often have to take on large debt.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:31 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,610,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryManback View Post
At the very moment, trades look like a better bet than a college degree.
It's paid off for me... I'm 39, single, no kids or ex-wives and making $85k as a high school graduate.

I know people with $500 student loan payments on their degrees that don't make what I make.

I'm not rich but I live comfortably in a high COL area.

The job I started 6 weeks ago told me "we've looked for someone for the last month." I guess that was why they hired me the same day I interviewed.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:35 AM

26,039 posts, read 22,230,983 times
I vote for trade school if you want to get out and get a job and have more than one offer with a choice of locations. Just look at positions that are available in the fields you are considering and think about how many applicants there will be. Getting one's hands dirty has become unpopular but I am seeing tech schools are starting to offer certificates in trades that are needed in local areas.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:42 AM

49 posts, read 82,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I vote for trade school if you want to get out and get a job and have more than one offer with a choice of locations. Just look at positions that are available in the fields you are considering and think about how many applicants there will be. Getting one's hands dirty has become unpopular but I am seeing tech schools are starting to offer certificates in trades that are needed in local areas.
Im going here, for Industrial Maintenance, I guess thats a Millwright:
SCC - Industrial Systems

Here is what the instructor (who is a Millwright himself) told me:
Bobby, Thank you for your interest in the IST degree program at SCC. We have great success in placing students in the job market (100%). We do have opportunities for students to fill intern positions. I currently have a position open at this time seeking someone to fill this position. We are looking forward to a new certificate program, to start in the fall if approved, in ammonia refrigeration. The new certificate is included in the IST degree if a student wishes to take that direction. This addition should enhance employment opportunities for the students.

If I can assist you in any way please feel free to call and/or stop by the school and we could tour our shops and talk about starting the program. You can g to our website for SCC and apply also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment