Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 07:57 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by readytofly View Post
why is it difficult to come to work TO WORK? A lot of the extra drama is too much. I don't understand WHY
Yeah, I worked in an office where I was routinely harassed by an older female manager and labelled "not a 'team player'" simply because I worked quietly at my desk all day, concentrating on my job instead of socializing. I was polite to everyone, but all of my communications were work related. Apparently there was something wrong with that. It confused me too. I always thought work was about getting a job done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 08:06 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,041,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Who said anything about drama?

The employees that chat to others can get their work done and still have time to chat, it's called streamlining. The ones that come to work to chat and do not get their work done or underachieve/under produce aren't likely to keep a job. It is a large problem when someone comes to work and does not work and then forces the work they were assigned onto others, but at that point the ones that get the extra workload tend not to speak up and defend themselves, thus they are to blame as well (because people will continue to walk on them if they let them).
Why don't we just work for 3-4 hours without frivolous chit chat, and then go home?

Old 04-13-2014, 08:52 AM

670 posts, read 1,044,283 times
I'm a person who needs quiet to work also. It would drive me a little crazy trying to work under your circumstances.

I would be very pleasant to everyone because it is good to be known as someone who is likeable and gets along well with others. However, I would probably get some noise cancelling headphones and put them on. If someone mentioned them, I would just jokingly say something like "Oh, I must be a little ADD...sometimes I just need more quiet to focus on a task." Either that, or you could get one of those white noise machines if you think that may help drown out some of the background noises.

Best of luck to you.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:53 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tairos View Post
Why don't we just work for 3-4 hours without frivolous chit chat, and then go home?
As stated, not everyone takes the same amount of time to get work done. I'm not saying all situations involving chat are good. This isn't like smoking breaks, why can't we take a 5 minute break once every hour if we don't smoke? (although I think they are silly).

Old 04-13-2014, 10:06 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,580 times
Being social is rewarded just as much if not more so than being productive in this society. I think partly because most things we do now, besides physical labor, is so much easier to do than before. I learned the hard way working my ass off doesn't pay, but schmoozing does! In less than 3 years at the company I'm with I'll have been promoted 3 times, partly because of my smarts and work performance but also because I speak up, mingle, make relationships with people in the company, etc. I'm on the tail end of one major project and have already been requested to join a team for an even cooler project in a few months!

Old 04-13-2014, 10:16 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,142,570 times
The empty can rattles the most

Old 04-13-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
As stated, not everyone takes the same amount of time to get work done. I'm not saying all situations involving chat are good. This isn't like smoking breaks, why can't we take a 5 minute break once every hour if we don't smoke? (although I think they are silly).
So as usual in other words, the mediocre masses drag the rest of us down while getting to act as though we're the problem.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:42 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tairos View Post
So as usual in other words, the mediocre masses drag the rest of us down while getting to act as though we're the problem.
I have issue with your language. Why are you hostile?

Old 04-13-2014, 10:47 AM

5 posts, read 4,692 times
I hate cubicle work with a passion but it did feed me for many years. It just the gossiping about people's personal life that I hate. Lack of privacy blows.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
I have issue with your language. Why are you hostile?
LOL. "Issues." You sound like you "work" in HR. The unceasing deprivation and misery that's been inflicted upon me over the course of a lifetime by the culture and people described in this thread tends to engender "hostility" over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment