Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 06:34 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
Just so I'm clear, you're saying I shouldn't tell my co-workers?

I think I got the message. But how do I explain it if I show up to work dressed up (either dress pants & tie or suit) one day? The dress at work is definitely on the casual side (jeans and a polo shirt).

Other than that, why is it a bad idea to tell my co-workers that I'm applying for the supervisor position? I genuinely am curious. Anyone have any good examples of where things went wrong because someone found out they applied to a job?
Use the standard excuses. Court appearance, funeral, external job interview.

If you have coworkers that dislike you they can set you up for embarrassment or failure just so that you don't get the job. They can make it impossible for you to get your current job done, start fights so you look like a troublemaker, and general sabotage of this type.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 07:29 PM

12,774 posts, read 14,983,025 times
Quote:
I think I got the message. But how do I explain it if I show up to work dressed up (either dress pants & tie or suit) one day? The dress at work is definitely on the casual side (jeans and a polo shirt).

Other than that, why is it a bad idea to tell my co-workers that I'm applying for the supervisor position? I genuinely am curious. Anyone have any good examples of where things went wrong because someone found out they applied to a job?
Since we've got it settled that you should NOT tell A SOUL that you've applied, which I definitely believe in 110% myself, onto the being dressed up question. Who the heck cares what they think or say. Make something up about why you're dressed up more than usual. If they guess it for themselves, that's fine, but they won't hear it from YOU...the horse's mouth. IF they ask you if you've applied, say, "No".

The reason you don't tell them beforehand? You want to make sure you've got the job first & it's been confirmed & they shake your hand offering you the job & it's a sure thing. Otherwise, a whole plethora of things could happen if you tell beforehand:

- No matter how great a guy you think you are, not everyone likes everyone. There could be resentment from someone if word gets around & someone could start rumors, gossip, etc. & let's say you don't end up getting the job, well, you'll look like a fool.

- It's just not good practice to tell beforehand. Someone always talks. I don't care if you tell just one person & they promise on their mom's grave that they'll keep the secret.

- I don't care if you only plan to tell your closest buddy coworkers...the ones you drink beers with after work 7 days a week & one of them is the godfather of your firstborn. You don't owe them anything. DO NOT TELL.

If any coworkers get mad & joke around about why you didn't tell them sooner, etc., just say, you don't like spreading news unless it's a sure thing.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:36 PM

2,122 posts, read 1,794,611 times
Quote:

Main reason is that you might cause someone else to apply who wouldn't otherwise apply or it's possible that another co-worker is also applying and it will just be an awkward situation. Also your co-workers who aren't qualified to apply they may resent the possibility that you may go from being their equal to their superior. Then there is the possibility that you don't get the job, why would you want people to be aware that in a way you "failed"

The closest personal example I have isn't work related but is a good example of why you shouldn't tell people your business before the opportunity is yours. In high school I often participated in government related activities, like going to leadership conferences and such. The local American Legion we having some contest where I had a chance to win a trip to the state capitol and I told my friend about it an she decided that she would apply to it also. Of course she ended up winning one of the spots and I just missed out and what made it worse is that she didn't go because it wasn't something she was really interested in. If I hadn't told her about it beforehand I would have had a better chance of going on that trip

Old 04-14-2014, 07:45 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,082,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
If any coworkers get mad & joke around about why you didn't tell them sooner, etc., just say, you don't like spreading news unless it's a sure thing.
I like that response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
Main reason is that you might cause someone else to apply who wouldn't otherwise apply or it's possible that another co-worker is also applying and it will just be an awkward situation.
This is a great point. Someone might say, "Hey, I'm just as qualified as RaveAboutToast. I'm going to apply too!"

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I guess I'm a bit naive or too trusting of my coworkers, but I'll keep it guarded for as long as I can.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:02 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,279,131 times
OP, a person at my place of employment applied for a promotion, and a ton of people started whispering about whether she applied, and whether she would get it. Finally someone asked her directly, and she spilled the beans. I could see that she was embarrassed. What if she had not been chosen? It would have been even more embarrassing.

I was sort of angry that people put her on the spot like that. It really was no ones business but hers at that point. And thats why I dont think you will want or need to tell anyone. Its no one's business except yours.

As far as wearing a suit, just tell them you are going to a funeral, visitation, or wake for an old boss or minister or neighbor or something.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:06 PM

240 posts, read 423,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Nooooooo! As I told my sister coworkers aren't your friends. They can stab you in the back at any given time.Do what you need to do for yourself.
Exactly. I have seen this first hand after a co-worker posted for a leadership position. She told a few people and the whispering began: "She is not qualified for that position", "Really? Her?" and the ever popular, "I hope she doesn't get it. I don't want to work under her."

Keep it to yourself.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:09 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
If no one as posted yet, NOPE! NO!

Old 04-14-2014, 08:17 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,104,127 times
Quote:

Let's say you get this job. You will enter into one of the most awkward positions you have ever experienced. You haven't seen ugly until you've been "one of the guys" then suddenly become management. People who you thought you were tight with can become total a*******. It's as bad, or worse, as when someone in the family dies. Why would you want to subject yourself to that, and not even get the job. Don't even fix your mouth to say, "but my coworkers are different." They're not!

Old 04-14-2014, 08:19 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
No.

Your coworkers are nothing but competition, particularly in a predatory culture without enough jobs, so don't tell them anything.

Good luck.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:36 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali2jersey View Post
Exactly. I have seen this first hand after a co-worker posted for a leadership position. She told a few people and the whispering began: "She is not qualified for that position", "Really? Her?" and the ever popular, "I hope she doesn't get it. I don't want to work under her."

Keep it to yourself.
Oh yeah when I was promoted I got the eye rolling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment