Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 06:39 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,481,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daward View Post
Business degrees are liberal arts too, but computer science is not liberal arts ( a branch called MIS is )

We can roughly divide careers into two distinct areas : science ( including plumber, sheel metal worker ) and liberal arts ( including finance/accounting )

In business-related degrees,

courses in economics, human resource, marketing, organization behavior are liberal arts oriented courses,

courses operations research and MIS are something between liberal arts and science ( some business graduates who want to specialize in operations research or MIS think like industrial engineer or computer science professional , respectively, or already have background in engineering or IT outside their business educations )

courses in finance/accounting are completely liberal arts, but some way in doing exercise problem similar to science ( like doing math, practice a lot , following logics )
The business disciplines are almost never classified as liberal arts. These are applied professional subjects. MIS is not a liberal art either. However, there are actually several colleges that classify computer science as a liberal art. It has much more to do with mathematics (not just adding and subtracting figures) and physics than any business discipline. The liberal arts are highly theoretical and often research oriented.

Quote:
Psychology is also something between liberal arts and science, actually it's completely liberal arts, but some clinical psychologists like to call themselves doctors
That's because they are doctors. Anyone with a doctorate is a doctor. The title is not only for medical doctors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 08:53 AM

149 posts, read 310,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Because if they have a phd, that is what they are: "Doctor so-and-so."
I said medical doctor ( clinical psychologists counted as medical doctor ? )

Old 05-05-2014, 09:40 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,497,620 times
The short answer is there is no set career path for liberal arts and humanities majors. However, that is true of almost ANY major outside of a few very specific fields such as accounting or medicine.

I majored in history as an undergrad with the original intention of becoming a K12 teacher. When I realized that I was not equipped to handle a classroom full of students, I panicked. Realizing I needed to get whatever relevant experience I could, I interned at a corporate archive my junior year and at a publishing company my senior year. Through hard work and a little luck, I landed an entry-level customer service position at the publishing company. The first 3-4 years were a bit of a slog as I worked various low-paid administrative positions. However, I learned a lot of excellent practical experience in those first few years. I tried different things and eventually landed in the Marketing department as a Research Analyst. Once I realized that Market Research was the right career for me, I went back to school for my MBA part time.

The lesson I learned looking back is that experience is everything. At the time I thought those administrative positions were a waste of time and that I was heading nowhere in my career. However, I frequently draw on things I learned initially in those positions. Any experience you can get is key to future success.

The bottom line is that you have to go out there and figure it out for yourself. Figure out where your strengths are and then build on those areas. It can be a little scary at first, but a relatively intelligent, hard working lib arts graduate can do quite well.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:48 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,715,510 times
Start here: Heritage & Archaeology Jobs HeritageDaily – Heritage & Archaeology News

My daughter graduates this week with a history degree...though she is going on to take a Masters, I have no doubt she could get a good job. She has interned in some very interesting places and gotten high recommendations from every single one, including some that were instrumental in getting her into her next program. Once she graduates from that, she will have a wide variety of choice. Especially as she is passionate about her particular field of interest -- which is a rather select group anyway.

Figure out what your core interest is...not just 'history' but 'medieval textiles' or 'Pre-Columbian trade routes'...and focus on meeting the people and doing the work that will get you the job that will use that knowledge. In history careers, everyone seems to know everyone else so don't burn any bridges!

You are not limited to elementary school or 'fast food', no matter what anyone tells you.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:50 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,865,120 times
I volunteer at a local history museum and was asked to do a presentation for a school career day for those with an interest in history. Some possible careers:
History teacher
Museum staff
Archeologist
Set designer
Costume designer
Appraisal, restoration, sales of antiques (think Pawn Brokers, American Pickers, Antiques Roadshow) Become an expert in some area
Genealogist

Why did you major in history? What is your main interest? If you find that, then you might need to supplement your degree, but you could be happy and successful. Business? Direct a museum. Art? Restoration or appraisal or design. Teaching Certification?

Good Luck!

Old 05-05-2014, 09:59 AM

I majored in the Liberal Arts. Now what?

Old 05-05-2014, 10:05 AM

149 posts, read 310,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
which subject ? what you do ? how you entered the field ?

Old 05-05-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
which subject ? what you do ? how you entered the field ?
Scroll up about 4 posts and read my initial post.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:20 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,926,748 times
A liberal arts degree is something you get if you're not certain of a career path yet still want a piece of paper (which most living wage jobs require today)

I have a couple of friends with lib arts degree. One is a WalMart manager and another delivers groceries on a motor route working for tips.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:31 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,045,533 times
Most of the project managers I have worked with over the years had liberal arts degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment