Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 04:10 PM

3 posts, read 10,370 times

Advertisements

In the last couple of months I have learned that my boss and my co worker, who is a close friend of mine, are having a romantic relationship. My boss knows that I am close friends with my co worker and now she is always butting into our conversations asking what we are talking about. If he comes over to help me figure out a problem or even just says hey, she gets angry and demands to know why he is talking to me and what we were talking about. If she sees us saying hi as we pass by each other she will glare at me. The look on her face is frightening. Recently he told her we were talking privately and she pulled me into her office and repeatedly asked me what I talked to him about and I told her if I wanted to talk to her, I would and it was none of her business. She kept pressuring me to answer until I just got up and ran out of the office. On her days off she calls him at work and they spend hours talking on the phone or sometimes she will come in and they will be in the back hanging out and talking. I find this to be a huge problem because then I am left to pick up the slack. I have talked to him about it and he rolls his eyes and says I worry too much. I am extremely uncomfortable with this and I want it to stop. I don't know how to proceed. I did speak to her manager about the issue and she tried to talk to both of them but they have denied the affair and I don't know what management can do then. I don't care if they date, secretly or openly, I just don't like what's happening at work and how I am now having to deal with her nosiness when I am just asking my friend how his weekend was. I feel I am losing my friend over this situation as well. We no longer talk or hang out outside of work. Anyone else go through something like this? Any suggestions on how to deal with it? I will lose my friendship if I have to but I can't take the work problems that have come with it. Is this something that could get her fired? I always thought relationships between a supervisor and a subordinate were a big no no since it creates a conflict of interest and seems unethical. Am I going to be forced to just live with this forever?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 04:14 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,358,980 times
It is definitely against most office policies. However, if you told their supervisors and they didn't do anything, there isn't much else you can do. And you will probably lose her as a friend. That's how women operate.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:25 PM

336 posts, read 590,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
It is definitely against most office policies. However, if you told their supervisors and they didn't do anything, there isn't much else you can do. And you will probably lose her as a friend. That's how women operate.
Wait. The boss is a woman and the friend is a guy, according to the post.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:29 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,739,979 times
WOW, the drama is so thick you can literally cut it with a knife and spread it on some krustini.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:45 PM

820 posts, read 1,209,676 times
Find another job.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:46 PM

3 posts, read 10,370 times
Quote:

Her manager said she believed me over them and they are watching them now. I am not sure what will happen if they find anything. I have never had an experience like this. My friend/co worker told me that our boss doesn't like that him and I are friends and she only acts this way towards me. But when questioned by upper management he denied all of these things he told me. It makes me mad he's defending her at my expense. I told him I don't care if they have a relationship, just keep it professional at work and tell her to stop acting so psycho jealous because I said hey to him. I have a right to work in peace and be friends with whomever I choose without her acting so unprofessionally.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:59 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,739,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emj84 View Post
Her manager said she believed me over them and they are watching them now. I am not sure what will happen if they find anything. I have never had an experience like this. My friend/co worker told me that our boss doesn't like that him and I are friends and she only acts this way towards me. But when questioned by upper management he denied all of these things he told me. It makes me mad he's defending her at my expense. I told him I don't care if they have a relationship, just keep it professional at work and tell her to stop acting so psycho jealous because I said hey to him. I have a right to work in peace and be friends with whomever I choose without her acting so unprofessionally.
This might go really really bad for you.

They both know about it, one is a manager and one has been asked by upper level about it...he already lied and now knowing this I am sure he went and told her everything. They will lie and it most likely try to set you up.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:10 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,902,933 times
Seems to me you have two choices: get a six foot pole or a new job. They're both being immature and trust me, that guy is not your friend. Coworkers are rarely truly friends.

Avoid them both and when the relationship runs it course (she sounds needy and a little psycho, so it shouldn't take long although I'd guess it will be directly proportional to how hot she is) you may be able to salvage the friendship.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:30 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,600,221 times
Quote:
That's how women operate.
It's a mystery to the rest of us, but I guess jman07 (and maybe Freud) have them down to a science.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:41 PM

469 posts, read 637,650 times
He probably tells her that you wouldn't leave him alone(not that its true)and that is why she is badgering you about what you talk about and he blows you off when you mention it.

He made his choice and sticking on the side where his bread is buttered. In addition, he made you look like a crazy liar to the big boss. In short, you are in danger and best start looking for another job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment