Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 04:44 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,058,679 times

Advertisements

depends on your job classification, wether you tend to work late or odd hours, if your employer offers showers and lockers, if any one else does it...

when I lived 7 miles away it was fun to bike to work. 27 miles, not so much, even tho there is a protected/isolated bike path away from traffic for 50% of the route.

I sweat ALOT when I workout, so bike to work is only applicable in the cool spring/fall season. In the summer it would be ridiculous, because I would need 20 mins just to cleanup and change my clothes.

I also had a "nice" bike that I was not comfortable leaving locked up outside, so I brought it in my office. The old man big boss would glance askew at my bicycle, but I assured him meetings would always be in a conference room and not in my office...

Once I was promoted to certain point I felt it WAS unprofessional to ride the bike to work... it is what it is mah brother...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 06:02 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,406,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Obviously none of the PRO BIKE riding group here lives in FL with rain, thunder and lightening half the year.
Excuses. I live in Western New York where it averages 100 inches of snow per year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Sorry, I disagree with showering first does not make you stink. It may work for some people, but I don't think that is the norm.
Science is what it is...

Sweat doesn't smell. "Stench" from sweat is from being covered in bacteria. The smell is bacteria excrement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
depends on your job classification, wether you tend to work late or odd hours, if your employer offers showers and lockers, if any one else does it...

when I lived 7 miles away it was fun to bike to work. 27 miles, not so much, even tho there is a protected/isolated bike path away from traffic for 50% of the route.

I sweat ALOT when I workout, so bike to work is only applicable in the cool spring/fall season. In the summer it would be ridiculous, because I would need 20 mins just to cleanup and change my clothes.

I also had a "nice" bike that I was not comfortable leaving locked up outside, so I brought it in my office. The old man big boss would glance askew at my bicycle, but I assured him meetings would always be in a conference room and not in my office...

Once I was promoted to certain point I felt it WAS unprofessional to ride the bike to work... it is what it is mah brother...
Why does it matter? What is unprofessional about using a non-polluting, healthy form of transportation for commuting?

Are we that self-conscious of status symbols?

Old 07-01-2014, 06:04 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,406,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Yep if it was feasable for me I would be riding to work at least half the year. Unfortunately I work 23 miles from home, and there is really no good bike routes from A to B. I'd need to a least partially ride on major arterial highways that would be downright suicidal in rush hour. The near western subburbs and anything adjacent to Ohare airport in the Chicago area sucks for cycling.
Have you considered doing a cycling / transit hybrid? Ride half the way, put it on the front of the bus, finish the last mile or so to your office. A coworker of mine rides 21 miles each way. He only does it 2-3 times per week though. He's also 48 years old..

Rush hour doesn't matter. I ride in Rush Hour every day. Mind over matter. Bicycles are traffic.

The "safest" streets are those with two travel lanes and a center turning lane. Just ride in the right most lane. You cause no real delay on that street set up to motorists, since left-turning traffic has a turning lane.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:31 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
Most of the roadsin the areas I mentioned are 4-6 laned highways with 45-55mph speed limits (and cars going faster than that), lots of entrances to strip malls etc . Also Illinois in most cases doesn't believe in putting shoulders on roads. Also most buses are designed to get you to a train station and bring you towards downtown chicago. If you are commuting from the North to the West subburbs there aren't too many options.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:14 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
See? There's the problem -- what they SHOULD do versus what is by-the-books legal. If the law reads (as it does in California ) "Slower Drivers Keep Right", and if the speed-limit is 65, and the Prius driver is doing 64, who's to say that they should move over for faster drivers (who are most likely going faster than 65 and therefore breaking the law)?

Now let's complete the picture. Prius drivers, et al, have far more of a choice than do bicyclists, wouldn't you agree? Yet, and as a rule, automobile drivers are more likely to forgive the Prius driver for being a prick than they are to forgive the bicyclist for hanging on to the only (very tiny) slice of road he legally has access to.

What have I missed or overlooked?

-- Nighteyes
"Prius drivers" have options doesn't mean they use them wisely. If you are on a two lane road and have two "Prius drivers" going the same speed (say going five/10 mph lower than the speed limit) they are impeding traffic. I've seen this happen without traffic being the cause (obviously that is excused because it is out of their control.)

Old 07-02-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Science is what it is...

Sweat doesn't smell. "Stench" from sweat is from being covered in bacteria. The smell is bacteria excrement.
While sweat itself don't smell, you can't always control how the bacteria comes out, that's genetics. You can mask it but that's it and all your co-worker hopes for. Tips to Control and Reduce Sweat

Old 07-02-2014, 11:26 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,390,223 times
Quote:
Excuses. I live in Western New York where it averages 100 inches of snow per year.

Science is what it is...

Why does it matter? What is unprofessional about using a non-polluting, healthy form of transportation for commuting?

I agree with all of this. So long as you're presentable for work while on the job, it shouldn't matter. In essence, biking to work can never be unprofessional. Being unpresentable while working, sure.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:18 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,058,679 times
Quote:

there has to be a community of practice to fit into. Once you pass a certain threshold, if you don't feign an interest in golf and spectator sports, you aren't considered "one of them". A leased sedan makes you look like a "company man".

I'll give you another one - once they ditched the desktop towers, and gave every employee a laptop - they told you to carry the laptop back and forth between work and home - the laptop also contains a software IP phone app. I wasn't cool carrying the laptop in a saddle bag on the bicycle. You need to counterbalance the weight, at least.

One of those concessions to your career.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
I agree with all of this. So long as you're presentable for work while on the job, it shouldn't matter. In essence, biking to work can never be unprofessional. Being unpresentable while working, sure.
So long as you continue to fit with culture and don't rock the boat too much, there's isn't too much of a problem.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:24 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
Not around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment