Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 08:28 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,499,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Intentions aside, it's a good tool to help companies gain more insight into a person and how they handle responsibility.

It's in a company's best interest to use any tool available to gather as much information as they can on an applicant before offering them a job. There's a big cost associated with hiring and firing an employee, so it's wise from a business standpoint to do as much of the leg work up front if they can.
Then they should be using more than a credit report. Let all of your records be available....medical, family history, driving, your kids records, spouse's background, etc. If the mentality is that employers should be to use anything to find the best candidate, then let them use anything they want. Don't just stop at a credit report....that can be misleading and not tell the whole story. Let the employer know everything possible about you so they can really choose the best candidate. No need to use just a credit score. After all, you want to make sure they pick the very best candidate, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 08:28 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,986,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfProfessional View Post
This is incorrect. It can be used to identify behavior.

Read this thread to learn more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...?mode=threaded
You do realize you referred to the very same thread we are posting in, don't you? Reading this thread all I will learn is that folks like you have been brainwashed by the credit reporting industry.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:50 PM

384 posts, read 349,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
You do realize you referred to the very same thread we are posting in, don't you? Reading this thread all I will learn is that folks like you have been brainwashed by the credit reporting industry.
Yes, I linked to this thread because apparently you haven't read it. Do you really think that it's just coincidence that the OP has bad credit and poor decision making skills? Even after she admitted that her poor credit was due to poor decisions she made?

You're quite misguided if you don't believe empirical evidence that has been brought up in this thread. The reality is that someone who repeatedly makes poor decisions, is bound to do the same elsewhere. Behavioral traits transcend various contexts.

The most important point, is that, statistically, people with poor credit, are likely to make decisions that impact the organization.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:33 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,986,461 times
Quote:
Yes, I linked to this thread because apparently you haven't read it. Do you really think that it's just coincidence that the OP has bad credit and poor decision making skills? Even after she admitted that her poor credit was due to poor decisions she made?

You're quite misguided if you don't believe empirical evidence that has been brought up in this thread. The reality is that someone who repeatedly makes poor decisions, is bound to do the same elsewhere. Behavioral traits transcend various contexts.

The most important point, is that, statistically, people with poor credit, are likely to make decisions that impact the organization.
Here we go again.

Please provide a link to these so-called statistics.

Even if the OP is a person who has poor credit and has made poor decisions ( and I am by no means saying that's the case), one person is not representative of any group.

There is currently something in the range of 9 or 10 states that ban or limit the use of credit reports in the hiring process, and the number is growing. There has also been legislation proposed on the federal level to do the same, and it's probably going to pass some day (but probably not any time soon, I grant you). The reason this is happening is that there is no evidence that credit reports have relevance, and the statistics you and others cite don't really exist.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:44 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
How? By not borrowing money.

And what if they borrowed money while able-bodied and employed, and then abruptly lose their entire income?

Old 07-18-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Everyone should have money saved up for a rainy day. If you live paycheck to paycheck you are living above your means. I too have been laid off. But I had money in the bank to pay my bills until I found employment.

And maybe I should have been more clear on the mental stability comment. What I mean by that is that someone who is bankrupt could be in a state of depression (bankruptcy takes a while to happen and I would imagine a normal person would be stressed to no end before hand) or a state of panic, which means they may not be the most sound person at the moment to handle money.

??? People at poverty level or with minimum wage jobs should have money saved for a rainy day? How exactly would that work?

Old 07-18-2014, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
So basically, you would rather keep someone UNEMPLOYED, allowing their credit to slide further down, eating up your tax payers money through welfare, than LET THEM WORK and pay for they stuff? That's a much better analogy!

Shameful.

Employers, like investors, are generally risk-averse, and are happy to reject undertaking risk even if that costs taxpayers money.

Last edited by freemkt; 07-18-2014 at 10:06 PM..

Old 07-18-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Specifically, I look for BAD credit... Bankruptcy, Charge Offs, Collections, Evictions and Judgements.

It is very possible for a person to have no credit or a slim credit file especially if young... it's not a problem.

So if I'm living on a poverty-level income and can't pay off 10-year-old judgments (which followed an abrupt, total and extended loss of income), I should just forget about getting hired or finding an affordable place to live...thereby pretty much ensuring I'll never be able to pay them off.

I have had no new (original) credit activity in over 10 years but it's still on my credit report.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrels View Post
No. They are a result of a failure to provide payment for medical bills, not for having medical issues. Nonpayment is nonpayment regardless of who you owe or why you owe them. All hospitals will work out a payment plan with patients who can't afford their bills, so there's no excuse for not paying up.

What kind of payment plan can someone at poverty level get?

Old 07-18-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Sex offenders show up on a background check.

I'm more concerned about not being able to do medical history checks. This day in age, employers should be able to do so.

BIG class issues there especially pre-Obamacare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment