Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 08:45 AM

469 posts, read 637,532 times

Advertisements

It seems whether in the cover letter or right upfront in phone interviews they are asking this question of candidates. While I do not want to waste my time either if they are offering a low amount for the position, what is the best answer.

I have read that the best answers are:

Offering a range

Not offering amount at all and stating; "salary is not you main consideration and you are sure if hired you would come to a mutual agreeable amount"

Any thoughts on best way to handle this delicate question?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 08:49 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
If you have no idea what they are offering, and the posting says DOE or similar, do some research to discover what other companies are paying for that kind of work, and ask for something in the middle of that range. Otherwise you could give a number that you are comfortable living on but add that you have some flexibility depending on the benefits. If they are advertising a salary below your needs, don't apply unless you are desperate and/or need the experience.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:59 AM

182 posts, read 477,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3littlebirdies View Post
It seems whether in the cover letter or right upfront in phone interviews they are asking this question of candidates. While I do not want to waste my time either if they are offering a low amount for the position, what is the best answer.

Offering a range

Not offering amount at all and stating; "salary is not you main consideration and you are sure if hired you would come to a mutual agreeable amount"

Normally, if I'm filling out an application, I just put "Negotiable" in the Salary Requirements Field. I generally also say "It's Negotiable or I'm Flexible" on the initial phone interview if they ask. If they absolutely insist on a number, I do one of three things:

- Give them a range (most of the time)
- Give them a number based on what I've seen listed for the company/position on Glassdoor
- Give them the absolutely lowest I'd be willing to take (I did this mostly when I was unemployed)

Old 07-10-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
If you have no idea what they are offering, and the posting says DOE or similar, do some research to discover what other companies are paying for that kind of work, and ask for something in the middle of that range. Otherwise you could give a number that you are comfortable living on but add that you have some flexibility depending on the benefits. If they are advertising a salary below your needs, don't apply unless you are desperate and/or need the experience.

I am getting this question on ads that do not advertise salary and then when I give my range(which is based on research and industry average)sometimes I do not hear back. I wondering if they just were offering a very low salary or I was wrong to give the range.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:06 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,780,448 times
The answer really depends on one huge thing. Are you currently employed?

Personally I would just do the math on 20-30% above my current salary. If they're not willing to consider that, they probably can't get me to jump.

Of course that only applies if you currently have a job you're ok with. If you don't have a current salary, I would give a really wide range with the disclaimer of "based on other compensation/work life related items". I'm willing to take less if I can work from home 3 days a week for example, or if I get 4 weeks vacation, or if the benefits are great.

At the same time, without those things, the salary better make up for it. Ultimately, a wide range will at least get them interested, but the compensation details will allow you to stick to higher end salary negotiations or make them give up room elsewhere.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:15 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
Quote:

Offering a range

There is no "best answer." It depends on the employer.

If 99 employers asked this question, they would each have their own expectations of an answer from applicants.

Some, for example, will pass up your resume/application if you fail to give a range or state a specific number. Others will pass you up if you state a number/range that's too high (many employers use this question as a screening method).

Old 07-10-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post

Personally I would just do the math on 20-30% above my current salary. If they're not willing to consider that, they probably can't get me to jump.

Of course that only applies if you currently have a job you're ok with. If you don't have a current salary, I would give a really wide range with the disclaimer of "based on other compensation/work life related items". I'm willing to take less if I can work from home 3 days a week for example, or if I get 4 weeks vacation, or if the benefits are great.

At the same time, without those things, the salary better make up for it. Ultimately, a wide range will at least get them interested, but the compensation details will allow you to stick to higher end salary negotiations or make them give up room elsewhere.

Thanks

Old 07-10-2014, 09:22 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,668,923 times
Places like glassdoor and salary.com are good indicators of what the pay scale is for positions in your area. I typically use those which give a range. If I have experience, I will choose the median salary number and use that. If no experience, I use the lower number. If they counter and I'm in no hurry to change jobs I will then counter that with an option to work from home certain days, or ask for added benefits like PTO.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:01 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,990,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSmooth View Post
Normally, if I'm filling out an application, I just put "Negotiable" in the Salary Requirements Field. I generally also say "It's Negotiable or I'm Flexible" on the initial phone interview if they ask. If they absolutely insist on a number, I do one of three things:

- Give them a range (most of the time)
- Give them a number based on what I've seen listed for the company/position on Glassdoor
- Give them the absolutely lowest I'd be willing to take (I did this mostly when I was unemployed)
I usually give a range or a vague answer. Recently I said "well, I'm in the high XX's right now and since changing jobs is always a risk I am looking for more money to make a change." Something like that...

Quote:
I am getting this question on ads that do not advertise salary and then when I give my range(which is based on research and industry average)sometimes I do not hear back. I wondering if they just were offering a very low salary or I was wrong to give the range.
I would say the bolded is likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post

I generally use the 20% figure as well; it's harder to ask for that much more as your salary goes up, but I always try anyway.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:07 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
Give a range ie. "in the 50s" based on your research and current salary + a % (or whatever you need to be content) and say but this is dependent on the total compensation package being offered. Benefits can make or break a deal.

If you say this and wanted 55 and they offer 45 but insurance is 100% covered that might be doable. However if you want 55 and they offer 55 and cover 10% of your insurance only then then 45k offer might be better.

Saying this allows flexibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment