Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 12:27 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by work324 View Post
Most colleges these days are $25K or more. If you're a mediocre student and get no scholarship, your 4-year degree is $100K.
Even with their scholarships, the expenses incurred by my kids with books and housing and food, etc., you're talking about $100K+ easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 12:33 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,986,308 times
Absolute not. Loved college itself but the truth is its the biggest waste of time in the world without having connections and soft skills. What i truly regret is not learning and developing communication, butt kissing, political skills early on. I would have been far better off then I am now.

Butt kissing, connections, who you know etc. (even without a degree) is 10 times the worth of a piece of paper Ive learned.

At least in corporate america that is what I found..

I made more money without a college degree than I did having one. Im a college graduate working for people With NO college education but obtained the positions they have because they kissed rump and spent their entire days do nothing of value accept polishing upper management's booty.

My immediate boss needs me to proofread his grammar before he sends out e-mails to the higher ups

Old 07-12-2014, 01:26 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
The other thing is I've met plenty of people with experience that then have to go back to school in their 40's and 50's to get the degree to advance their job. I'm not talking grad school I'm talking undergrad.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:42 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
I have mixed feelings and really can't say 'yes' or 'no' without a lot of 'buts'. I didn't make bad decisions for what I knew. My parents didn't go to college, but wanted me to have a better life than the cousins who were teenage parents. I could have used some direction. My experience from 20+ years ago is getting more publicity these days

I went to a flagship university in my state. I chose what was to be a usable degree. IMO, the university oversold themselves and the programs. The school didn't have the outside contacts or reputation in many areas. The degrees weren't as flexible as we had been told. A percentage of the top graduates in the field might find an outside job. Some went to work for their daddies. Some women went to get the Mrs. Anyone outside of that was left hanging. I eventually found work, but absolutely hated it because of the dirty politics and dishonesty involved. There weren't a lot of options for switching jobs.

My direction for my kids is different. They will not be returning to my alma mater. As parents, we aren't going to dictate their lives. We hope to help direct them to an education that will be a better fit whether it be college, trade school, or working for a bit and then pursuing an education.

Old 07-12-2014, 03:05 PM

9,093 posts, read 6,314,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unixfed View Post
Curious to hear from those who bit the bullet, took out student loans, and now have been working in the "real world" for some time... Was it worth it to take out those loans? How are you making a dent in them? Did the resulting degree really make a big difference?
The answers are (1) Yes, (2) I have paid about 60% of the original balance, (3) Yes. The reason my student loans were worth it is because my field of expertise is not taught at the high school level but it is taught extensively at the collegiate level. Most colleges and universities make it a minimum of a concentration and some goes as far as making it a full major.

Old 07-12-2014, 03:18 PM

74 posts, read 307,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It depends what major you choose, and how in demand that major is. I turned my my investment of about $60,000 total for a B.S. in Occupational Therapy into probably more than a million dollars over the past 18 years or so, so yes, it was worth it. I did the first 2 years at CC or it would have been more, but it still would have been worth it.
I REALLY wish I had known more about occupational therapy when it only required a bachelor's degree. I am starting an MS in OT program this fall and I am very concerned about student loan debt. Luckily I will be going to a public university and will pay in-state tuition, but the thought of all that debt still concerns me greatly. I hope the demand for OT's will still be there when I graduate and the costs will be worth it. I've read a lot of horror stories about people who have gone into nursing who can't find work despite having been told repeatedly that nurses are in high demand. I suppose I should be grateful that I am getting into the OT field before a doctorate is required (as it is now with PT); from what I understand, OT is heading in that direction.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:38 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Curious to hear from those who bit the bullet, took out student loans, and now have been working in the "real world" for some time... Was it worth it to take out those loans? How are you making a dent in them? Did the resulting degree really make a big difference?
Yes, it was worth it because not taking out loans would have meant not going to school which would have meant a more difficult time getting a good job. I am making a bit of a dent, however I am not the least bit concerned about it. I think of it as insurance.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:12 PM

1 posts, read 688 times
Default I bit the bullet and am still recovering

Quote:
I took out an additional 13,000 for a BSN from the College of Saint Scholastica for a RN to BSN. I did not receive one clinical. I did not get my public health nurse license and it has still not been conferred. I am disgruntled RN because the title has done nothing for me. My fiancee is a ADN nurse and makes 83,000 based on experience and I cannot get a job past PRN with all my experience as a nurse. I believe this shows the male work force is still paid higher even in a role that is predominantly held by women. Ridiculous!!! I am grateful that my fiancee makes that kind of income however, I would be ecstatic if someone would show some recognition for my strong desire to continue my dream of being a nurse. I am always getting low balled or told after I arrive the full-time day position has been taken and there is a night position available. How the hell did a full-time day position become unavailable within 12 hours? Ya! I am NOT desperate for a job.

I thank my fiancee for allowing me to be picky. If you enjoy nursing and want to work nights great! If you are a nurse manager, please pay attention to the applicants choice of work hours. Do not treat working mothers like desperate unemployed losers willing to stay up all night, clean the house all day, struggle to stay awake for the kids and make mistakes later. Employ the nurses that do not have families for nights. Make them pay their dues. They might learn a damn thing or two.

I am baffled at how much this career has back fired for me financially. Truthfully, I would have done better working as a waitress with tips than begging to become employed a nurse. The nursing shortage seems to be a result of the old who you know, not what you know. Thank the incompetent inappropriately dressed person that got the manager's job because she knew someone that worked there to interview you. Now I know why the nursing field is still questioned as to whether it is a profession or an occupation. I have come to conclusion it is neither. It is a waste of time.

I would rather shovel **** than be treated like ****. The older nurses eat their young and cannot see the stress of change reflected in a new grads eyes. New grad. What an insult to a wonderful person that could save your life. Really???? Shame of the medical field and educators for not taking a more proactive approach in securing the future of great and wonderful nurses. I am not alone in how I feel. Feel free to make whatever comments you need. After being a nurse for 13 years, no negative comment could scathe me.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:00 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,243,937 times
Quote:
Depends on what you want to do. If you want a career as a professional, then yes, you should suck it up and go to college.

If you are into the whole minimum wage/manual labor thing, then maybe don't worry about it.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:35 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,475,764 times
I'm glad I did too. Even though it's still takes much effort for me to find work, having at least a bachelor's keeps many doors open where otherwise that straight up require them. There are definitely those who can get jobs that require degrees that don't have them. I've met a couple of them... one guy appeared to be very knowledgeable about the Systems Administrator and hardware side of IT, and was also pleasant to work with, but he had to rely on favors from his mom, who worked at the same company and had some pull. Another only had a psychology degree or something for another type of IT work. However, he got the job because his father was a partner in our parent company. I can hardly count on these favors and inside tracks, so the degree at least gives me that much of a boost.

I'd imagine it could be helpful to get a masters, but AFAIK, having just a bachelor's may be an advantage since those with Masters may be too expensive for a company to hire (unless some companies are trying to get those with Masters level education at Bachelors level pay).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment