Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 02:50 PM

395 posts, read 603,526 times

Advertisements

So Ive been unemployed for about a month now and I think its really starting to driving me nuts. Ive been on several interviews and find myself putting all of my eggs in one basket. When I get rejected, Im so letdown that I dont want to get off of the couch and do errands or go to the gym. Not sure how you guys do it, but ive lost faith in finding a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 03:03 PM

186 posts, read 349,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cm5878 View Post
So Ive been unemployed for about a month now and I think its really starting to driving me nuts. Ive been on several interviews and find myself putting all of my eggs in one basket. When I get rejected, Im so letdown that I dont want to get off of the couch and do errands or go to the gym. Not sure how you guys do it, but ive lost faith in finding a job.
Don't lose faith, you will find something. Just keep looking, think of the job search as a job. I devoted 4 days a week 8 hours a day for about 4 months to find a job. While it is disheartening to get rejected; say okay and get back up and apply at the next place. Do you have other things to do while looking for a job? I had school and seeing the good marks from that kept me very positive and kept me going everyday.

Old 05-28-2014, 03:26 PM

395 posts, read 603,526 times
Of course there are things I can do for free around the house, like yardwork or cleaning up the house, but I'm almost such a "sore loser" about being rejected from jobs and scared I only have 4 months left of unemployment. I try to head to the gym 4x a week but that only takes my mind off of the rejection part for so long. I have 11 years of Accounting experience plus a Bachelors degree and I'm in my mid 30s, so I'm not sure if Im not marketable or what.

Old 05-28-2014, 03:36 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,982,569 times
I know how you feel, I went through two layoffs in less than 18 months. I made looking for a job my full time job, and made sure I still got up each morning, did my usual morning routine, and then hit the job boards scouring for any relevant opportunities. I was fortunate both times that I found something within a month or so, but both times there were also rejections. I always had a number of balls in the air so that when I got a rejection for one opportunity I usually had another one that was in play and that helped. My first layoff happened to occur in mid December, so everything wound down for the holidays for a few weeks from like the third week of December through the second week odd January, so there were a few times where I had nothing pending. Those were difficult days, just need to power through them and keep looking!

Best of luck.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:42 PM

23,512 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Don't give up. Keep at it. Something will turn up. Be flexible and positive.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:03 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cm5878 View Post
Of course there are things I can do for free around the house, like yardwork or cleaning up the house, but I'm almost such a "sore loser" about being rejected from jobs and scared I only have 4 months left of unemployment. I try to head to the gym 4x a week but that only takes my mind off of the rejection part for so long. I have 11 years of Accounting experience plus a Bachelors degree and I'm in my mid 30s, so I'm not sure if Im not marketable or what.
You are very marketable. However, the NYC/NJ is so saturated. If you're really hungry, start looking nationwide. There are big banks like BOA and Wells Fargo that could use your skills but they are both headquartered in Charlotte.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:11 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
If you want to be more productive, attend career development classes and clubs. It works.

If you are routinely beat out by other interview candidates, you need to work on those skills.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:21 PM

80 posts, read 128,620 times
Things will get better, you just have to believe. I've been out of work since February, I'm a single parent of a 14 year old daughter and my unemployment runs out at the end of June. I've had several rejections and promises that never panned out but I haven't given up and you shouldn't either. I don't know if you believe in a higher power, but prayer has truly kept me strong during this process. I have faith that I'll get a job soon and so will you but you must lose the defeated attitude. I would suggest to take a day off from job hunting and go for a walk in the park or volunteer. This will allow you to clear your mind and refocus. I wish you luck and success in your job search!

Old 05-28-2014, 10:06 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digg9779 View Post
Things will get better, you just have to believe. I've been out of work since February, I'm a single parent of a 14 year old daughter and my unemployment runs out at the end of June. I've had several rejections and promises that never panned out but I haven't given up and you shouldn't either. I don't know if you believe in a higher power, but prayer has truly kept me strong during this process. I have faith that I'll get a job soon and so will you but you must lose the defeated attitude. I would suggest to take a day off from job hunting and go for a walk in the park or volunteer. This will allow you to clear your mind and refocus. I wish you luck and success in your job search!
Thanks for the positive feedback here. To the OP, you need to fight for the work. Giving up and feeling sorry for yourself is just way too easy. Do not wallow for too long, stand up and get back to it. Good luck.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:12 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,123 times
Yea, you'd think having all this free time...you'd be able to pursue other things like writing a book, working out more, etc. and yet, its the complete opposite. Well, it is for me. I try looking for work from 1-4pm. I feel like i get more hits / replies during business hours on brand new postings. Nearly all of my hobbies I want to do cost money so yea, it sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment