Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 12:45 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times

Advertisements

This may be very "illegal" question, but it is what it is.
I had meeting Monday with one of my supervisors, who practically endorsed a new candidate for hire.
Next day, I had that person in my office, for about half day, shadowing me and "presenting" himself.
Whatever professional knowledge needed is apparently there.
Problem is, I had to drive him to his hotel later on, so we spent about 40 minutes in my car. I started noticing this at my office, but inside the vehicle, it became unbearable. Person has very unpleasant body odor. Bad breath added too it, but I can see that after entire day out without toothbrush. But the body odor was just killing me, I practically tried to inhale through my mouth, as there are no olphactic nodes there. Mouth does not smell odors, in plane language.
I had to keep windows down after dropped person off, for quite some time, to filter smell out.

Problem is, my office is quite small and we will have to work together. Close. That's the job. Also, we are inside the hospital and follow "no fragrances" policy, same for hospital.

My nose is broken, and is not overly to sensitive to smells. Plus, in my job, I have to work with VERY smelly patients. I am quite odor tolerant, but, so far, this is the 2nd worst BO that hit me so bad. 1st one is from a patient.

That being said, I have final say in hiring the person. I know it will be torturous co-habitation. I am willing to take a hit and say Neigh, though I know I'll upset the endorsing boss. And we do need help. Also, I do not think it's a "legal" reason to deny hiring. You know, like you can not ask "how old are yopu". Legal questions and illegal questions.

I need a suggestion. How to politically correct act in this situation. Plane English - don't want to **** off boss to become "picky" and "no one can satisfy you" yet, don't really want to suffer at work either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 12:55 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,764,043 times
Reminds me too much of my History teacher in HS. Great teacher but had a nasty case of halitosis.
This is tricky because you don't want to risk insulting him.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:01 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,790,414 times
This is a pretty hillarious situation.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:28 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times
Well, it's not halitosis. It's entire person. Halitosis is easier to cope with, you simply stay awy from one's breath. Entire BO in small room...
I am not going to insult anyone. Person leaves, bosses ask me my opinion, I have the right to say Yey or Neigh. But I'll have to provide reasons. And that's where the dilemma is. Candidate will never know what happened. They simply say something like "you will not be a right match" or "we decided to postpone hiring for this position". No worries THERE.
And by far, I am NOT a politically correct or corporate talk type. I just cut it straight down to the bare truth. Bosses do not appreciate this.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:49 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,790,414 times
If it were me, I would tell my boss the truth - that his professional knowledge seems adequate but there is a concern with hygiene.

I would also learn the difference between plane and plain.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:10 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,684 times
Plane English - tell him that his bad hygiene "just doesn't fly"

Old 07-30-2014, 02:12 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
Plane English - tell him that his bad hygiene "just doesn't fly"
May attract flies, though.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:15 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,116,397 times
"Smelly" is not a legally protected class of people. You can simply state you do not wish to hire him because of his body qnd breath odor. It"not illegal.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:18 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,624,361 times
I have an older brother who has an odor,brother.
Man do he stink.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:19 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,253,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
This may be very "illegal" question, but it is what it is.
I had meeting Monday with one of my supervisors, who practically endorsed a new candidate for hire.
Next day, I had that person in my office, for about half day, shadowing me and "presenting" himself.
Whatever professional knowledge needed is apparently there.
Problem is, I had to drive him to his hotel later on, so we spent about 40 minutes in my car. I started noticing this at my office, but inside the vehicle, it became unbearable. Person has very unpleasant body odor. Bad breath added too it, but I can see that after entire day out without toothbrush. But the body odor was just killing me, I practically tried to inhale through my mouth, as there are no olphactic nodes there. Mouth does not smell odors, in plane language.
I had to keep windows down after dropped person off, for quite some time, to filter smell out.

Problem is, my office is quite small and we will have to work together. Close. That's the job. Also, we are inside the hospital and follow "no fragrances" policy, same for hospital.

My nose is broken, and is not overly to sensitive to smells. Plus, in my job, I have to work with VERY smelly patients. I am quite odor tolerant, but, so far, this is the 2nd worst BO that hit me so bad. 1st one is from a patient.

That being said, I have final say in hiring the person. I know it will be torturous co-habitation. I am willing to take a hit and say Neigh, though I know I'll upset the endorsing boss. And we do need help. Also, I do not think it's a "legal" reason to deny hiring. You know, like you can not ask "how old are yopu". Legal questions and illegal questions.

I need a suggestion. How to politically correct act in this situation. Plane English - don't want to **** off boss to become "picky" and "no one can satisfy you" yet, don't really want to suffer at work either.
Really have no idea what the best solution for your dilemma is, but your story made me laugh because it reminded me of the Seinfeld with the BO in the car that he could not get rid of, so he finally tried to get someone to steal it. How did your car hold up? I'm a pretty honest person, so I would be frank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment