Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2014, 12:46 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,208,151 times

Advertisements

Low
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
Yep, thuseat's the best way. then even the slow people can understand and follow along.

I had never been late to an interview in my life until my current job. I didnt know they had moved and went to the old location. I called and explained the situation. Ended up getting the job.;
well there are usually several who did everything right. That's why its easier to weed out the loosers.
Ne
I did a hone interview yesterday and the guy just kept yawning. I finally asked if i was keeping him up. he responded with something like no, I've just been up too late lately. needless to say he didn't get an interview and on paper he was my #1 prospect. I wish I could call him back and explain why so that he knew. That feedback would be so fun, and useful.
Slow people? Really? I think you are the slow one. You discard your top prospect because he yawned? Arrogance and incompetence. Considering that you cannot even spell loser correctly you shouldn't be judging anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I love lazy posts like this. The entire point of the Work and Employment forum is to, you know, discuss work and employment issues.

So when those of us who actually interview candidates for jobs remark on woefully-prepared people who are missing opportunities, we're suddenly on a power trip. Nice. Maybe if you actually paid attention to the people who are allegedly on a power trip, maybe you'd have the job you wanted.

And interviews actually predict a great number of things: Grace under pressure, people skills, and the ability to articulate answers to difficult questions. These things are highly important in any job beyond working on an assembly line.
The applicant in question was not woefully unprepared. He yawned during a telephone interview. Your interviewing skills are as flawed as your reading comprehension skills.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:05 PM

31,846 posts, read 17,683,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Understood. Actually, if someone used a spelling like "rediculous", but was otherwise pleasant, and trying to be helpful ( especially on CD), I wouldn't say a word about it, as it would be somewhat inappropriate, and not very nice. But if there's condescension, or mean-spiritedness involved, then all bets are off..

All this reminds me of an old axiom about journalism that I came across many years ago:

"To comfort the afflicted, and afflict the comfortable"

The employment scales of today are heavily weighted against the employee, or the underdog, so I think this statement is very applicable, and appropriate, today.

And this is the problem I have with the discussions here. People want to afflict the comfortable, meaning those who have jobs and are on the other side of the table, just because.

You can do everything right, have a lot of experience, and be a great candidate - and still not get the job. Why? Because there were three of you in that category and someone else had an edge in some area. Why take it out on the person in charge of hiring? It may be you one day and you'll see how tough it is, and how painful it is to hire someone more qualified over someone who may need the job more.

I'm not talking about managers who are rude during interviews, but I seldom get specific answers about how people are rude other than, "They looked at my resume when they came into the room" (which I already covered in another thread) or "Nobody told me I didn't get the job" or "I didn't hear back for four months." Those aren't examples of rudeness. You may not like it - but it's not rude.

The reason there is a lot of sniping here, is because there are extremes on both sides of the argument. Both of those groups are so far from the middle, it's hard to meet on common ground.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Your expectations are unreasonable. What if the person assigned to handle your paperwork is sick? Or maybe the original person quit. Or maybe they changed the list of interviewers for you? Maybe this company is like a startup and doesn't pay much attention to these kind of details? But it could be the job of your life - so deal with it.

The simple answer is that YOU should be prepared for kinks in the process. Don't be a baby and expect the red carpet for you.
He isn't expecting red carpet treatment merely the same amount of preparedness the interviewers expect of the applicant. The reasons you listed are simply excuses for the laziness of the interviewer.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
And this is the problem I have with the discussions here. People want to afflict the comfortable, meaning those who have jobs and are on the other side of the table, just because.

You can do everything right, have a lot of experience, and be a great candidate - and still not get the job. Why? Because there were three of you in that category and someone else had an edge in some area. Why take it out on the person in charge of hiring? It may be you one day and you'll see how tough it is, and how painful it is to hire someone more qualified over someone who may need the job more.

I'm not talking about managers who are rude during interviews, but I seldom get specific answers about how people are rude other than, "They looked at my resume when they came into the room" (which I already covered in another thread) or "Nobody told me I didn't get the job" or "I didn't hear back for four months." Those aren't examples of rudeness. You may not like it - but it's not rude.

The reason there is a lot of sniping here, is because there are extremes on both sides of the argument. Both of those groups are so far from the middle, it's hard to meet on common ground.
You're right they are not examples of rudeness. However they are examples of complete unprofessionalism and as such inexcusable.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:47 PM

31,846 posts, read 17,683,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
You're right they are not examples of rudeness. However they are examples of complete unprofessionalism and as such inexcusable.
That's your opinion. The initial poster in a previous thread thought it rude that the hiring manager reviewed his resume when he came into the conference room, saying he should have looked at it before since he had two weeks to do so. I've explained that I go through a persons resume several times and if I'm crunched for time, I may take a moment to review it once inside a conference room on a day when I have multiple people coming in. It's easy to get details mixed up when doing multiple interviews. So what? You don't like it? Walk out of the interview and keep looking for the perfect hiring manager. You're not a good fit for me or my team.

If a company takes four months to make a decision - which sometimes happens - and they let you know after they've made that decision - it's their timeframe you are taking issue with. It's not unprofessional. But if you think it is - and after four months they tell you that you're hired - decline the offer. You're not a good fit for the company.

And as for not letting people know that they didn't get the job - take a look at the hostility exhibited here. Why would any HR person or hiring manager want to open themselves up to this grief? I always encouraged people on my team to follow up, but after hearing some of their stories with threatening phone calls, vulgar emails and two people trying to get into the suite but blocked by security - I don't care what they do. They don't have to take that kind of abuse from anyone.

THAT is unprofessional and inexcusable.

It's funny that the same people who want twenty million excuses made for them aren't willing to overlook anything when it comes to HR or hiring managers.

Unemployable.

Old 08-03-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
That's your opinion. The initial poster in a previous thread thought it rude that the hiring manager reviewed his resume when he came into the conference room, saying he should have looked at it before since he had two weeks to do so. I've explained that I go through a persons resume several times and if I'm crunched for time, I may take a moment to review it once inside a conference room on a day when I have multiple people coming in. It's easy to get details mixed up when doing multiple interviews. So what? You don't like it? Walk out of the interview and keep looking for the perfect hiring manager. You're not a good fit for me or my team.

If a company takes four months to make a decision - which sometimes happens - and they let you know after they've made that decision - it's their timeframe you are taking issue with. It's not unprofessional. But if you think it is - and after four months they tell you that you're hired - decline the offer. You're not a good fit for the company.

And as for not letting people know that they didn't get the job - take a look at the hostility exhibited here. Why would any HR person or hiring manager want to open themselves up to this grief? I always encouraged people on my team to follow up, but after hearing some of their stories with threatening phone calls, vulgar emails and two people trying to get into the suite but blocked by security - I don't care what they do. They don't have to take that kind of abuse from anyone.

THAT is unprofessional and inexcusable
It's funny that the same people who want twenty million excuses made for them aren't willing to overlook anything when it comes to HR or hiring moughtanagers.

Unemployable.
Not an opinion, fact. I was taught the meaning of professionalism by my longest employer.
Unemployable? No. Overlooked by poor interviewers, yes.

Old 08-03-2014, 02:39 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,094,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedTheFreak View Post
I've found that the best thing to do in interviews is not talk a lot. Just look presentable, give short answers and don't flinch. Answer with a simple "yes" or "no" whenever possible.
This would be a mistake if interviewing with me. One word answers are often indicative of a person trying to hide something. The interview is your opportunity to sell me on your skills; leaving an answer at "yes" doesn't do that.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:25 PM

11,024 posts, read 7,880,773 times
Quote:

THAT is unprofessional and inexcusable.

It's funny that the same people who want twenty million excuses made for them aren't willing to overlook anything when it comes to HR or hiring managers.

Unemployable.
Not informing an applicant of the time frame in which he can expect a response, especially when it extends to four months, is unprofessional. If you don't see it that way you may want to take a step back and reexamine the situation.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:45 PM

9,830 posts, read 11,603,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
I was over 30 minutes late for an interview once (due to a previous interview running over!). I did call and let the hiring mgr know I was running late. It worked out really well actually, I spun it into a positive and the hiring mgr felt bad that I felt bad so that helped to forge a human connection before the interview even started. Guess who got the offer...yup, this guy.
Same thing happen to me except I got really lost. I called 30mins before the interview and explained I was lost but on my way.
I was real sincere and sorry to the interviewers, and got offered the job the next day
I have a interview tomorrow morning and was thinking of showing up late on purpose
Nhaaaa!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment