Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 01:30 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,811,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Survey and reviews for money like college research are not good ideas at all. I looked at that at one point. I rather blog and get paid for that.
It is fine for extra money which is why I do it but it's not okay that it's the only thing I can find especially when I don't refer people anymore.
People say you can have your own website but that'd never work for someone like me but yet I guess I was desperate enough to be pressured into spending money for someone to build me a website. I know it's never going to pay off because I read it's difficult to get into Google Adsense and I have to worry about getting that money back so I may not get any profits
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 01:38 PM

8,079 posts, read 7,444,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Despite the argument I had with a drinking family member last night, they said part time work in retail was unacceptable here in Pennsylvania as I look in Wisconsin because that would show how much of a loser I am, especially since I graduated college and haven't worked full time other than a day or two with a temp agency.
Why would you listen to a drunk person, family or not? Having a job (or two) does not equal being a loser. I speak as a financially secure 53 year old man who had two jobs when I was in my 20's.

Old 08-07-2014, 05:34 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,680,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Why would you put the number of hours work on your resume anyway? That's just odd.

I have never put my hours worked, even though I worked 45+ hours/week at a few jobs. I worked 20 hours at my first job.

I have seen many resumes, while helping my former bosses with hiring. I can't think of one resume with "full-time/part-time" status or number of hours worked.
Yeah it struck me as odd also.

Old 08-07-2014, 05:42 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to relocate to Wisconsin now (Michigan didn't work out and I'm glad... I realized the dream I had since 2010), but I will be taking on a 2nd part time job in retail (to supplement the library). Despite the argument I had with a drinking family member last night, they said part time work in retail was unacceptable here in Pennsylvania as I look in Wisconsin because that would show how much of a loser I am, especially since I graduated college and haven't worked full time other than a day or two with a temp agency. However, I have worked other jobs and the hours combined were like a full time schedule (I handled it well). They still maintain I should work for a temp agency for a year because it'd be better experience (I really don't want to stay here for a year longer). I know this family member was drinking and they always have called me a loser, but would that make me a loser to take on a PT retail job while I look for something in Wisconsin or Midwest?

I have an interview with a company at a local mall on Thursday and I said I could work Sundays 11am-3pm; Tuesdays 9am-4pm; Wednesdays 10am-2pm; Thursdays 9am-4pm; Saturdays 9am-2pm, then work Mondays and Fridays fully at the library and Wednesday afternoons. I'm really excited because I do love this company and I look at it as customer service experience. I'm not sure if I'd be a loser or not. I don't plan on working retail for the rest of my life, it's just a filler for extra money. However, if I do get it, I'd like to transfer with it once I do get a FT job in the Midwest because it would be extra income.
First off, nobody is a 'loser' unless they put down other people.

There are people here who brag about how much they make and how well they do and rag on those who might work in retail or 'make 50K' who make salt peanuts compared to some people I know. So, somebody is a loser to everybody if you play that game.

There isn't really a second point. If you want a career other than retail though, the retail experience prolly won't help you that much.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:43 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
It is fine for extra money which is why I do it but it's not okay that it's the only thing I can find especially when I don't refer people anymore.
It isn't that good at least through college research where you at best get $1.00 per review or survey and most aren't relevant. Say some are iPhone reviews, if you don't use iPhones, you can't legitimately do those.

Quote:
People say you can have your own website but that'd never work for someone like me but yet I guess I was desperate enough to be pressured into spending money for someone to build me a website. I know it's never going to pay off because I read it's difficult to get into Google Adsense and I have to worry about getting that money back so I may not get any profits
This is the problem with blogging, many need an alternative revenue source. One I've liked for years (though it's more of a podcast with a blog) has had several side businesses whether it was being part of Orlando Attractions Magazine at the launch, starting a lanyard business or doing writing for Fox News in their theme park division. This is on top of the amazon stores that anyone can launch.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:23 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
First off, nobody is a 'loser' unless they put down other people.

There are people here who brag about how much they make and how well they do and rag on those who might work in retail or 'make 50K' who make salt peanuts compared to some people I know. So, somebody is a loser to everybody if you play that game.

There isn't really a second point. If you want a career other than retail though, the retail experience prolly won't help you that much.
The only thing retail can do is pay for bills and living expenses while looking for your job.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:39 PM

877 posts, read 1,316,826 times
I think this mentality is what makes Asian and African immigrants so successful academically & financially, generally speaking.

Never assume you're too good to take a job at McDonalds, or that somehow working as a bussboy or salesperson is beneath you.

They have no problem with working those jobs when push comes to serve.

It's a shame that Americans act entitled to high paying jobs all the while not meeting the qualifications and putting down those who work in customer service or retail.

Do what you need to do to survive and live happily and comfortably.

Don't worry about some prissy morons. You've gotta start somewhere.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:49 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,180,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
I dont consider any person who's willing to go out and work regardless of the postion a loser!

A person who stays home playing video games and watching t.v while mooching off of someone else?.....Now that's a loser!

I concur
OP keep up what you're doing & ignore the idiots who are trying to put you down.....
Try not to associate w/ anyone who tells you you can't do something-
or that you'll never amount to anything, etc.
That's their way of trying to sabotage you, by making you feel inferior.
I think it's great that you are working-
so many people these days are happy doing nothing all day, every day.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:50 PM

3 posts, read 4,531 times
How could you consider yourself a loser when you graduated from college and worked to support yourself while doing so? Everyone who has read a newspaper article, or blog, watched the evening news or YouTube must have a clue about the state of the world economy! Unless you are in the health industry, the job market is highly competitive right now. So go with the job opportunities you have now, and keep your eyes open for future employment in the field you trained for in college, if that is what you want to do. There is nothing wrong with trying other avenues of employment; you might find something you like better, you never know.

As others have suggested, I would try to distance yourself from your relatives if that is the best they can offer in the way of moral support! (Sounds a little like jealousy to me, but whatever the reason, you don't need friends like that. If you can't get out of that environment at present, just let it go in one ear and out the other. Don't bother to argue, it's not worth your time or emotion.) Good luck!

Old 08-07-2014, 11:24 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
I never think much of anything when it comes to exchanging money with a cashier. Most of us in the real world have more important things to think about besides the alleged relationship between occupation and personal value
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment