Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 01:46 PM

618 posts, read 939,013 times

Advertisements

I started the position 2 weeks ago and have not had any work delegated to me. It took 4 working days to get a computer and a phone. It took another 2 days to get access to the network drive where all the relevant files are. The coworker who is supposed to have sent me files has been late doing so because he has been busy. I constantly needed to remind him I have been proactive in trying to start on certain tasks but the coworker said the files were not yet ready and did not send when they were. I have done as much I have done on my own as I could. So I have been sitting at my desk bored the whole time. I have been discretely using my phone for internet texting and such. I have taken care of a few personal things over the phone. This way I was able to keep my sanity.

It is supposed to pick this week because I am flying out to meet him and he is formally going to transition work on to me. My question is have others been in this situation. I have never sat around doing nothing before. I did not want to complain because I am new and don't want to rock the boat by mentioning it to my boss. Other coworkers have mentioned they have not been busy either. I have just gone with the flow know it will pick up soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 01:52 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Don't use the company's equipment for personal matters no matter how bored you are, period. That alone would be reason to terminate the relationship. Use your personal phone only for necessary brief communication. Take this time to learn about the company's business and or industry. Read, study, materials that will increase your skills.

Old 08-10-2014, 02:38 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,992,335 times
Rock the boat! Your direct supervisor is there to support you. Why wouldn't you speak to him/her about an issue? I say be proactive and ask for help....or just wait to get fired for texting and goofing off.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:03 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
This was posted before but....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he4dQTuqtZc

Old 08-10-2014, 03:27 PM

618 posts, read 939,013 times
I asked multiple times. It is there responsibility to have equipment and work ready for me to do when I start my boss said in the first week that he was sorry that the computer was late in arriving and this last week he and the rest of the department were on a business trip being trained in part by that co worker who was late in providing reports. So I figured co worker was legitimately busy. I didn't want to report him to my boss especially since I will see him next week

Last edited by jobseeker2013; 08-10-2014 at 03:50 PM..

Old 08-10-2014, 03:31 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,498,243 times
Most of the companies I worked it took them two weeks to get me up and running. They were always horribly unprepared for my start date. Like you mentioned, a few days to get a computer and equipment, couple more days for network access and accounts, couple more says for tasks to get delegated to me. I would be as proactive as possible about getting working asap, but if you are rocking the boat and it's still taking them long to get you going, just relax and enjoy it, you'll probably end up super busy soon and wishing you had less work to do! It could also be a good time to attend as many meetings as possible, read up on documentation about material you'll be working with, and getting to know your co-workers.

Also, this reminded me of some of my colleague's experiences starting new jobs. A few started to no desk or place to work. They were told to shadow colleagues for 1-2 weeks till their equipment came in and floor space was made for them. Another colleague started a job and it took the company 4 weeks to get him his computer and equipment. He was given a crappy company laptop and told to just read documentation about the project he was working on.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:36 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
I did what you're doing for a month at a very well known employer with thousands upon thousands of employees. First they forgot to order my computer; then they ordered it wrong so it had to be changed; once it arrived it took another week (at least) to get the access I needed. In the end, I never did get everything I was told I would be working with. I didn't want to be pushy. Easiest job I ever had. Never was enough work and it looked like it had been planned that way! Don't get me wrong, it was complicated work there just wasn't enough of it to keep me busy and they knew it. I ended up working for them for four years!

I guess you decide how bad you need this job and play the game if you do need it.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:37 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,783,097 times
I pretty much had the same kind of experience when I started a contract job for the Government. I had a computer from day one, but no network access, it took time to setup my account and access. Once I had work to do, it was very minimal, it took several months before I had a full day's worth of work to do. All I can say if be patient, read any documentation available to you and don't get caught goofing off.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:48 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,657 times
I didn't even get my Xerox shirts until two months ago. When you're an at - will employee, these things happen.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:11 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
I didn't even get my Xerox shirts until two months ago. When you're an at - will employee, these things happen.
Huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment