Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 10:09 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,083,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Facebook is blocked at my job so those your 22 years olds you work with ar lucky-lol
Yes, they're so lucky to be able to sit around and not do any actual work and have it heaped on to others. I really wish my employer would block that asinine site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 08:42 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
At 31 I'm the oldest team member (other than management), but I look younger so maybe that helped.

Where are you all working? I hate working with a bunch of 22-year olds who do nothing but sit on Facebook and try to skip out early to go to the bar!
The question is, are they getting their work done? As long as you aren't being assigned extra workloads to cover for them, then frankly it's none of your business and you should worry more about your job than what your coworkers are doing.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:12 AM

8,046 posts, read 10,638,176 times
I think, for certain lower paying positions, it is easier for a women over 50 to get hired than it is for a man over 50. For example, I am almost 50 and was recently offered a full-time bank teller job. You see many older women working in these types of positions. But, you don't see many older men, do you?

Same goes for cashier and food server positions, etc. You wouldn't bat an eye if a 55 year old woman took your breakfast order at McDonalds or Denny's. But you would probably notice it if a 55 year old man did (unless he was the manager).

On the flip side of that, in top-level positions, is it harder for a woman over 50 to get hired into an executive position than an over 50 man, experience being equal? Hopefully not, but I wonder if gender doesn't play a role, even if it's not apparent, in the hiring of older job seekers.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:00 AM

710 posts, read 1,961,790 times
My boss (age 31) hired a 52-year-old lady in the last 12 months. Or maybe she was 54. Who knows. Who cares? She's great. The requirement was that she needed to be able to do the work. Hardly anybody who submits resumes/gets interviewed can pass the test. She also hired a 49-year-old a little over a year ago. Unfortunately, that lady had to have been dishonest about her work experience and that colored my boss' opinion of her performance on the test (she was borderline). That didn't work out. It was a bad situation. But apparently it was one of only two new hires that didn't work out for performance reasons in the past 8 years or so. I have to hand it to my boss--she can pick 'em! And part of that is that she could not care any less than she does about the age of workers. In fact, I think she probably prefers them a little older--that way there are no maternity leave issues, which have been disruptive in recent years. Obviously she would never say that but it's just a feeling I get...

Old 02-14-2010, 11:21 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Facebook is blocked at my job so those your 22 years olds you work with ar lucky-lol
Blocking facebook and you tube doesn't work because they'll still surf the internet their whole shift and they absolutely cannot put down their cell phones for even a minute.

22 years olds have a distinct disadvantage because they lack self-control. They grew up all wrong.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:24 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
In fact do some interviews. The 55 year old will more likely come in dressed appropriately and pay attention the whole interview. The 22 year old will come in with tattoos and piercings, and of course the top of their thong or boxers showing. 2 minutes into the interview their cell phone either rings or vibrates on them and they completely cannot think until they see who just texted them.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The question is, are they getting their work done? As long as you aren't being assigned extra workloads to cover for them, then frankly it's none of your business and you should worry more about your job than what your coworkers are doing.
No, they are not getting their work done, that's why it's "my business" because their work becomes mine.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
No, they are not getting their work done, that's why it's "my business" because their work becomes mine.
If that's the case, then I would bring it up with your supervisor. I would not do so the way you ahve done so on here, don't blame Internet usage, but simply say that it seems that there have been distractions that have prevented some coworkers from completing their work in a timely manner and you are concerned as you are fallling behind with your work trying to keep everything caught up.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
If that's the case, then I would bring it up with your supervisor. I would not do so the way you ahve done so on here, don't blame Internet usage, but simply say that it seems that there have been distractions that have prevented some coworkers from completing their work in a timely manner and you are concerned as you are fallling behind with your work trying to keep everything caught up.
That's a good way to say it...I would really, really hate to be "the snitch" type and I've contemplated this over and over, but it's gotten to the point where my work has become overloaded and I'm actually staying past the clock to get caught up.

Problem is...my boss is one of these people (not facebook, but 'other' sites). I also catch him sleeping a lot.

I guess I go the next step up????

Old 02-17-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
That's a good way to say it...I would really, really hate to be "the snitch" type and I've contemplated this over and over, but it's gotten to the point where my work has become overloaded and I'm actually staying past the clock to get caught up.

Problem is...my boss is one of these people (not facebook, but 'other' sites). I also catch him sleeping a lot.

I guess I go the next step up????
No, go to your boss first. After you meet in person, send an email recapping the discussion.

Give it a couple of weeks. If it doesn't improve, then go to his boss, and bring the email with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment