Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 04:34 PM

435 posts, read 635,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I think your last boss was a sociopath and there are a lot of sociopaths in American companies especially in management, supervisory or executive positions. Companies that use long term temps are typically botton tier dirtbags run by ammoral slime. Just move on and perhaps put something on glassdoor.

You really should have been actively seeking an FTE position the entire time you were temping rather than sit there and hope you will eventually be made permanent.
This is why I would work retail, so that I could have certain days of the week free for job interviews.

I used to work in customer service department at Dillard's in the evenings. It was great. I didn't have to sell anything or work out on the floor, and I could go on job interviews during the day time.

Places that use lots of long term temps are definitely dirtbags. I think its important to ask any prospective employer, "how many of your people are contract or temporary"? If they use lots of temps & contractors, its a huge red flag.

I would definitely write up a negative review on glassdoor or elsewhere. Other people need to be warned about these places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

7,492 posts, read 11,832,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I agree with everything 3littlebirdies has posted with the exception of the bolded statement above. I would say managers often use it against you, and since you have no way of knowing who will and who won't, the best thing to do is to not share your plans, thoughts, personal business, etc.

You are ruminating, and honestly, to suggest you have ptsd based on this incident it offensive to people who have truly undergone traumatic experiences. This is not ptsd, this is your inability to let go plus some fear.

I agree with the others about considering getting help, but please call it what it is and not ptsd.
How do you know it's not PTSD? Are you a therapist?

6,345 posts, read 8,122,671 times
I think you really need to see that therapist. If it isn't PTSD, it's some other mental thing. You got some issues, woman.

Old 08-23-2014, 04:39 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygirl15 View Post
A little over 2 years ago I was fired quite publically. I was temping at a large IT company, working in their billing department. The job was reviewing invoices that the sales department had typed. If something was wrong on the invoice, we were to send it back to sales to correct. Not hard, it was boring, but it was just a temp job until I could find something more stable.

I temped at this company for 9 months. At the beginning I was happy, hoping to get hired on full time. Then when the manager said that they had a hiring freeze, I knew I had to look elsewhere for a job. I don't think that the Manager thought I would ever leave, and she probably thought that I would be content temping for her forever. Temps don't get vacation, sick time or health benefits. I needed a job.

I had a frank talk with her and told her that I really needed a job with benefits, vacation, etc. She totally understood and said that she would help me find a job like that at the company. The problem was that it was really competitive to get a full time job there and the pay was terrible.

So, I still came to work, did my job as best I could, but continued to look for jobs on my off-hours.

One Monday, I came into work and she pulled in her cubicale and said that today was my last day and it was because of my attitude. Everyone around the cubicle could hear everything she said. I was mortified on the inside but kept my cool and let her walk me out.

As I was about to walk out the door, I asked her what the problem was, and she said that she didn't think I could do monotenous work. She said when one door closes, you should jump out a window. I just stared at her and walk out the door to my car and left.

I called the temp agency who was livid with me for getting myself fired. I think that someone must have called them or maybe they figured it out somehow, becuase a few days later they called me back and said they would do anything they could to help me find another job and that in the meantime I could get unemployment. I did end up find an even better job, full time with benefits within 1 month of this firing.

The problem I have is letting go. I still feel humiliated and worry constantly that I will get fired that way again. I think I have PSTD. I am suspicious everytime my manager wants to talk to me.

I have talked to a therapist who said that these things happen and the manager should have taken me into a conference to let me go rather than embarrassment in front of everyone.

I'm just so insecure now. Worried no matter how well I do at this job, I'll get fired again.

It is PTSD not PSTD.
The fact that you are allowing this issue to bother you after this long of a time is your issue alone.
You were not actually fired, the terms of your conditional employment through the temp agency ended and they chose not to renew your conditional employment. That is not being fired and you should have expected or known that you could be sent on your way without notice when you accepted the position as a temporary employee working for the temporary agency. It is the nature of their business to hire people to fill in at a company on a temporary basis without any insinuation that you could be or will be hired as a permanent employee.

Last edited by CSD610; 08-23-2014 at 04:48 PM..

Old 08-23-2014, 04:57 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,993,367 times
You weren't fired, because you never were hired! Get over it...two years is enough! Release.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:19 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,007,727 times
I can understand feeling very angry when you are mistreated on the job. Been there done that. Stuff happens when you work for idiots.

I look at it this way---Once I had a horrible job where the 2 bosses I worked for never gave me any negative feedback but when review time came around, they remembered every minor thing that went wrong and rated me "less than satisfactory". I was very upset and decided to quit the job rather than have a negative review in my file. I did some temp work, then found a job where I had the best boss I ever had in my life.

So those 2 horrible bosses actually did me a favor by making things so bad that I quit. If things had gone differently, I never would have experienced what it was like to have a wonderful boss!

Look at it that way. That horrible boss did you a favor by showing you her true colors.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:24 PM

11,372 posts, read 9,288,232 times
Agree with the posters who said you didn't get fired.

Staffing agency's are the bottom of the barrel worst. No job security and no benefits. It is what it is.
Think about that and quit worrring about it. Stuff like that happens to people who work for them. It happened to me once. Not going into the story as I am not going to hijack your thread but I ended up getting 5 weeks back unemployment because I proved I was let go for a stupid and unjust reason.

I hope you filed and took that one month unemployment. It was nice that agency told you they wouldn't fight you getting it but rotten and dehumanizing for the way you were treated by both your employer and their customer when you were pulled into that office.

Best wishes and please do yourself a favor and let it go.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:56 PM

532 posts, read 959,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
This is not the forum for this. Try psychology, or go get some therapy.
this is a work related question and this is a work forum, nothing wrong with posting it here. This is not the only post about being fired and having trouble getting over it.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:30 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,857,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passion4mb View Post
this is a work related question and this is a work forum, nothing wrong with posting it here. This is not the only post about being fired and having trouble getting over it.
Disagree. The question was around how to handle the inability to grow up, act like an adult, and move on. Whether it was work or a boyfriend - same issue for the OP, handling rejection.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:13 PM

867 posts, read 1,588,686 times
The temp agency said that it was a temp to perm position. I was told that after 6 months the company I was temping at would hire me. However, early on into the job I knew that the job was not for me but I stuck it out due to the bad economy and every tom, dick and harry was looking for a job so there was mega competition. I never wanted that job full time.

I would rather temp than be on unemployment. It just makes me feel better to be somewhere during the day. Plus it looks better on a resume.

I guess I should just chalk it up as an experience and the manager was crazy. It happens. There are lots of bad managers out there and I happen to have met their leader.

So whether they intended to hire me or not, that's not the problem. The problem was what that crazy lady did and my inablility to understand why she did it that way. She could have called the temp agency and told them to tell me not to come back. After all I was really working for the temp agency and not that manager. She could have done it the right way but she had to tell me herself because she knew I was going to move on anyway and that I didn't want the job in her department (per my conversation and admission with/to her). She was making a point and taking control. But for what reason? No reason except that when she realized that she didn't have any control over me, she knew that should could control when I left on that particular day. That's all she had. It was a power play.

Now that I think about, she had no other power in her life. Not with her marriage, her home, her kids, even her job. But she did have power over the people who reported to her. That's all she has. How sad of a life is this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment