Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2014, 04:09 PM

807 posts, read 898,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Six figure waiter jobs? come on...then everyone would be a waiter in NYC! But yet nobody is breaking down doors applying for those jobs here. Hotel management of a 5 star hotel, yes, you can eventually get to six figures. Wall Street traders make 6 figures, my friends. C-level execs at F500 companies make that, yes. Waiters and waitresses? Maybe in movies, people.

But hey, if they're out there, I would love to meet some and find out "what the secret to making 6 figures as a waitstaff is".
I've always thought that there are waitstaff who are truly experts in their field who could be making 6 figures. If not, they certainly deserve to be recognized as professionals with that level of pay.

Basically, I'm thinking of people of a level of knowledge, capability, and classy conduct that requires decades of experience in a place with exacting standards. Food knowledge (even if without the skills to execute) that can compete with mid-level chefs, management skills that could make them supervisors or directors in other industries, perfect conduct conveying dignity regardless of the client they are serving.

Do staff like this still exist or have they become extinct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 04:44 PM

256 posts, read 462,935 times
Quote:
Six figure waiter jobs? come on...then everyone would be a waiter in NYC! But yet nobody is breaking down doors applying for those jobs here. Hotel management of a 5 star hotel, yes, you can eventually get to six figures. Wall Street traders make 6 figures, my friends. C-level execs at F500 companies make that, yes. Waiters and waitresses? Maybe in movies, people.

But hey, if they're out there, I would love to meet some and find out "what the secret to making 6 figures as a waitstaff is".
I used to make $1,500 per week when I was bartending in DC and was working 5 days 9 shifts. There are 4.35 weeks in a month so I was making roughly $6,500 in a month. The best part you do not pay taxes for tips Yes, I was not making six figures but I was making around 80k which equals to a six figure salary before taxes!

Old 09-05-2014, 05:20 PM

7,925 posts, read 7,818,729 times
Quote:

Labor prices go up and down for a variety of reasons. When I did retail the top markets were NYC (Brooklyn, not Staten Island), LA, SF and.....New Orleans. Post Katrina they could not find enough work so as a result they had to raise wages significantly. Wages were more based on competition rather then cost of living.

Wall Street traders are kinda rare these days. Since 2000 nearly half are gone.
Wall Street - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jobs Are on the Line as Banks' Revenue Slides - WSJ
going down 5-6% a year can add up.

After reading Flash Boys and Automate This there is really not much of a future in that job when it can be automated.

Where I was for retail a store manager could make 60-200k a year depending on the market. The bonus had this weird net before tax but basically if you went over sales goals (profit that is because revenue is so easy for some to fake if they discount) by 0-4.9% there is a 5% bonus. If you went 5% or above it is a 100% bonus! So under theory being housing related at the top of the bubble yes there were some that probably made 400k. In all honesty making bonus now is probably next to impossible in most markets but I wouldn't put it past my area if they are making say 85-110k or so. There was a rumor that when commissions were around that there was a salesman in RI that made more then his store manager. Might be true but not for long.

Old 09-06-2014, 04:58 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Labor prices go up and down for a variety of reasons. When I did retail the top markets were NYC (Brooklyn, not Staten Island), LA, SF and.....New Orleans. Post Katrina they could not find enough work so as a result they had to raise wages significantly. Wages were more based on competition rather then cost of living.
That's why I posted statistics that weren't affected by a locality going through a natural disaster.

Face it: Things are much worse for workers now as compared to a generation ago. No amount of dancing, dodging or evasion is going to change that reality to one you prefer.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:11 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Yes it has stopped. Like I said, "The same job today doesn't pay enough to allow folks to pay their own way." It doesn't. I have to wonder how much of the problem today stems from people like you two refusing to acknowledge the changes that have happened - thinking that restaurant servers earn enough to pay their own way.

The Mean Hourly Wage for restaurant servers is $20,880. 90% of restaurant servers earn less than $29,810. The median wage is $18,590, meaning a few very well-paid servers (probably the two you guys know) skew the mean upward making it seem better than the reality most people actually experience. [Data source: BLS, May 2013.]
There were workers that were making less than your father back in the day also. There were millions of restaurant workers struggling, in 1930's-1970's also. The top 10-20% would have skewed the average for restaurant workers in his generation too. Since he was a career waiter, he would have been more than some guy looking for extra cash on the weekend as they went to school.

What needs to happen to bring the salaries of all workers to even better levels is a minimum wage hike.

Last edited by move4ward; 09-06-2014 at 06:25 AM..

Old 09-06-2014, 06:16 AM
bUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
There were workers that were making less than your father back in the day also. The 80/20 rule existed 50 years ago, too.
Of course. Yet, things are worse now. The 80/20 rule leaves a larger percentage of those doing that job without enough income to pay their own way. It's worse than before. I'm not sure how many other ways it could be expressed, in order to get you to acknowledge that.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:33 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Of course. Yet, things are worse now. The 80/20 rule leaves a larger percentage of those doing that job without enough income to pay their own way. It's worse than before. I'm not sure how many other ways it could be expressed, in order to get you to acknowledge that.
My mother was a waitress for less than 6 months over 35 years ago. We were struggling back then and on welfare. Go figure. Many restaurant workers were poor back then too.

It's worse now. Let's ask the government to raise the minimum wage to $1000/hr now.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:39 AM
bUU

That's not the point. Follow the discussion. Understand the context of the comments you're replying to, i.e., to care about people who are worse off because of how society has changed; to recognize the value of things that address how things have gotten worse; etc.

Thanks.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:53 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
My mother was a waitress for less than 6 months over 35 years ago. We were struggling back then and on welfare. Go figure. Many restaurant workers were poor back then too.

It's worse now. Let's ask the government to raise the minimum wage to $1000/hr now.
While people struggled back then and so did restaurants, guess what, there were less needs and costs were at the very least a little lower than they are today. Today you need a cell phone and internet when all you needed back 35 years ago was a supply of quarters (for the pay phone bank) and a mailbox for the same thing. The only time I see pay phone banks are hotels and tourist locations because of international travelers and I saw them pretty often during my youth and I am a millennial. Depending on your city, you still may need a car or may not. Homes and cars cost more as a percentage of income now. I've watched game shows on GSN and seen cars cost in the thousands. Now you have to pay in the 10 thousands for the smallest economy cars.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:59 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
While people struggled back then and so did restaurants, guess what, there were less needs and costs were at the very least a little lower than they are today. Today you need a cell phone and internet when all you needed back 35 years ago was a supply of quarters (for the pay phone bank) and a mailbox for the same thing. The only time I see pay phone banks are hotels and tourist locations because of international travelers and I saw them pretty often during my youth and I am a millennial. Depending on your city, you still may need a car or may not. Homes and cars cost more as a percentage of income now. I've watched game shows on GSN and seen cars cost in the thousands. Now you have to pay in the 10 thousands for the smallest economy cars.
An argument can be made that brand new cars, cell phones and internet aren't necessary...

Either way, that still doesn't change the fact that our dollar doesn't go nearly as far in spending power today as it did 35 years ago, as real wages have declined...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment