Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 10:21 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,657 times

Advertisements

I've been called kiddo and been called a 'good girl'. I find that very encouraging and it pushes me to be at my best. This guy wants you to do well and he's encouraging you. Who in their right minds would get offended over that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 10:57 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life7 View Post
So nobody finds there's anything wrong with him? Interviewer smoking a cigarette at an interview is completely normal?? I can't let him know anything he does that is bothering me? And no, he's not the owner.

He even thinks he can make career choices for me. He says crap like "In 5 years, if you're not better than me at running the printing machine, then it's probably time for a career change". I'm going to be the judge of whether I'm successful in the field, not him. I don't care how much experience he has. He's not going to say something like that like it's a fact. There's no way I was even planning on staying with the company for 5 years. I was/am planning on working there for 1-2 years max.
First of all it's a Printing Press not a "printing machine"....Second I'd shut up and learn as much as I could from someone that has been in the printing business for as many years as he has...I wouldn't even hire you with 1 or 2 years experience and I hired a lot of people in my 45 years working in printing... Why do you think it took you so long to find this job? Just back off and learn something from the old guy...You sound like you are your own biggest problem...

Old 09-01-2014, 03:01 PM

227 posts, read 258,185 times
I've had the joy of trying to work with this age group (and I even have children at this age) so I know there's nothing to be said except 'let them learn the hard way'.

OP, if you think his behavior towards you is demeaning then you've definitely got A LOT of learning ahead of you.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:26 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
If I were you I'd be very sorry I started this thread right about now. You don't deserve most of the responses seen here. And, whatever you do, don't listen to advice that tells you that you must fundamentally change to adapt to today's workplace. That is a formula for complete and utter misery.

There's nothing wrong with your attitude. You have pride in yourself and want a better environment. Problem is....that it can be very difficult to find. Especially at your age and in this new economy with America in decline.

If I were you, I'd do anything and everything you can to go into business for yourself. Short of that, it's going to be one jerk after another pulling your strings in a long chain of frustration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Bad choice.

Tell him the truth....that he is treating you like a child and that you want to be treated as an adult. Remember, as you go through life, that it is you who teaches other people how to speak to you.

Do it politely, but stand up for yourself and tell him what you want....and don't want. Sometimes it works - and sometimes it doesn't. But it is almost always the right thing to do.
^^^This person's replies are the only reasonable posts in this thread of nothing but insane posts. What your boss is doing, if nothing else, is completely unprofessional. It would be just as bad if a Millennial boss called an older worker "Gramps."

IF the boss calling you "Kiddo" happens once or twice (such as when you pass each other in the hallway), then yeah, you should let it go. But if it's happening often and everyone else receive different treatment, then that's not good.

To add to what the above poster said, be sure to let your boss know how you feel in a polite, non-confrontational way. Arrange a private one-on-one meeting, so that you don't put him on spot amongst the other workers.

You can even use the "Positive-Negative-Positive" method, to soften any blow to your boss. For example, when you meet with him, you can say something like

"Hey boss, I just wanted to take a few moments to meet with you because I noticed on several occasions you have called me kiddo. Some people take that as a sign of friendliness, and others can take it as a sign of disrepect. I know you have a highly respected reputation, and I don’t believe that you intend to dis me. But just to get things out in the open, I was wondering why you call me kiddo? Can you share your perspective with me?”

And you can end the conversation this way:

Please don't take my concern the wrong way. I greatly appreciate everything you've done for me during my time with the company to help with my career progression and that I really would love to go far within the organization. However, I did just want to speak to me about it before jumping to any conclusion, as it's something that's been on my mind.

If your boss is reasonable, he'll completely understand your concern and will address it accordingly. If, in the worst case scenario, your boss is simply an ******* and blows off your concern, then focus on just keeping your job to earn a paycheck and leave as soon as you can.

But one thing you should NEVER do is sacrifice your pride, morals or values for anyone (such as bosses) or anything (such as money). This is something too many people have obviously failed to do in their career pursuits, as we have so many Bernie Madoffs roaming around these days. If for no other reasons, you'll feel better about yourself knowing you stood up for yourself.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:33 PM

97 posts, read 170,108 times
I agree with the above poster. As I was reading all the replies in this thread, I felt that they were ripping you a new one! Yikes. Almost had me thinking that something was wrong with my opinion. But I agree that maybe you should tell him your concerns. You don't come across as spoiled to me as a lot of others have stated--just sounded like a genuine concern of yours. But good luck!

Old 09-03-2014, 05:35 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
But one thing you should NEVER do is sacrifice your pride, morals or values for anyone (such as bosses) or anything (such as money). This is something too many people have obviously failed to do in their career pursuits, as we have so many Bernie Madoffs roaming around these days. If for no other reasons, you'll feel better about yourself knowing you stood up for yourself.
HUGE overreaction here. No one mentioned anything that remotely relates to pride, morals, or values.

An older person taking a young worker under his wing and calling him "kid" and encouraging him with "attaboy" is not sacrificing anything.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:43 PM

133 posts, read 175,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post

And you can end the conversation this way:

Please don't take my concern the wrong way. I greatly appreciate everything you've done for me during my time with the company to help with my career progression and that I really would love to go far within the organization. However, I did just want to speak to me about it before jumping to any conclusion, as it's something that's been on my mind.

If your boss is reasonable, he'll completely understand your concern and will address it accordingly. If, in the worst case scenario, your boss is simply an ******* and blows off your concern, then focus on just keeping your job to earn a paycheck and leave as soon as you can.

This sounds really good the way you put it. HOWEVER, I'm not sure if a manager of a printing shop (picture Old School, cigarette smoking 50+ year old) will appreciate this.

BTW, pride goeth before the fall. Especially in this economy.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebiker78 View Post
I agree with the above poster. As I was reading all the replies in this thread, I felt that they were ripping you a new one! Yikes. Almost had me thinking that something was wrong with my opinion. But I agree that maybe you should tell him your concerns. You don't come across as spoiled to me as a lot of others have stated--just sounded like a genuine concern of yours. But good luck!
The responses didn't surprise me at all, given how many of the same posters leave the similarly unreasonable in other threads throughout this forum.

I just thought I'd join the one other poster who made a great post as being a voice of reason...

Old 09-03-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimMoeDee View Post
This sounds really good the way you put it. HOWEVER, I'm not sure if a manager of a printing shop (picture Old School, cigarette smoking 50+ year old) will appreciate this.

BTW, pride goeth before the fall. Especially in this economy.
I see what you're saying there, as I grew up in a blue collar town myself, so I've observed and worked for these types of bosses in the past.

But it never hurts to express how you feel, as it may end up improving the situation. Not everyone wants to be addressed by nicknames, understandably, so his concern is valid. And it can lead to a slippery slope too. He's letting the boss call him kiddo today, but tomorrow when he makes an innocent mistake, the boss (out of anger) may feel that he can call the OP all sorts of really offensive names.

And if this boss isn't receptive, the OP said they intend to leave soon any way. He can simply remain there long enough to gain work experience and pay his bills until his new/ideal job comes along.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:17 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
HUGE overreaction here. No one mentioned anything that remotely relates to pride, morals, or values.

An older person taking a young worker under his wing and calling him "kid" and encouraging him with "attaboy" is not sacrificing anything.

And it is NOT the same as a younger person calling someone older than them "gramps".

I understand that some people may have had a very poor upbringing, but some things should just be common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment