Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 05:13 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
The responses didn't surprise me at all, given how many of the same posters leave the similarly unreasonable in other threads throughout this forum.

I just thought I'd join the one other poster who made a great post as being a voice of reason...
Thank you. +1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 02:39 AM

788 posts, read 1,249,221 times
Quote:
The responses didn't surprise me at all, given how many of the same posters leave the similarly unreasonable in other threads throughout this forum.

I just thought I'd join the one other poster who made a great post as being a voice of reason...
So the opinions differing from yours are unreasonable?

Old 09-05-2014, 06:52 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyAndRugby View Post
So the opinions differing from yours are unreasonable?
Instead of offering helpful advice on how to address the OP's concern, just about everyone except the poster I specifically quoted bashed the OP because they considered his valid concern trivial, and even insulted him with more name calling...

Old 09-05-2014, 07:32 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
HUGE overreaction here. No one mentioned anything that remotely relates to pride, morals, or values.

An older person taking a young worker under his wing and calling him "kid" and encouraging him with "attaboy" is not sacrificing anything.

Agreed.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Instead of offering helpful advice on how to address the OP's concern, just about everyone except the poster I specifically quoted bashed the OP because they considered his valid concern trivial, and even insulted him with more name calling...
Valid concern? Again, if the others disagree, they are wrong, because you must be right?

The concerns of the OP come across as petty and childish and his attitude as ungrateful. Well, at least to those who have been in the workforce for some time now.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:25 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyAndRugby View Post
The concerns of the OP come across as petty and childish and his attitude as ungrateful.
And here you are bashing the OP some more, instead of offering constructive advice...

Old 09-06-2014, 04:51 AM

Quote:
And here you are bashing the OP some more, instead of offering constructive advice...
The OP has been given more than enough constructive advice. But it was just bashing according to you, so I do not any advice will be constructive enough in your opinion. However, I'll humor you. OP, just suck it up and quit whining. Just do your job, and/or quit.
Your boss sees potential in you and you can either use that to your advantage, or just be straight with him, and tell him it is just a temporary job for you.

@Weather313, is that constructive enough for you?

Old 09-06-2014, 05:54 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,614 times
Quote:
Nobody deserves to be insulted or told to accept treatment based on others having it worse, correct.

But a lot of responders here are more mature in the workforce, been in supervisory roles, and were in OPs position 10+ years ago. Our recommendations are based on perspective and common sense (and reality). With respect, as much as I gather - you are a young college student who lacks any experience in a career path. He needs to hear from people with more wisdom and not a peer who doesn't know how to effectively deal with management.

You are of course, as entitled to post as much as all of us, but the blind leading the blind comes to mind.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:18 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Nobody deserves to be insulted or told to accept treatment based on others having it worse, correct.

But a lot of responders here are more mature in the workforce, been in supervisory roles, and were in OPs position 10+ years ago. Our recommendations are based on perspective and common sense (and reality). With respect, as much as I gather - you are a young college student who lacks any experience in a career path. He needs to hear from people with more wisdom and not a peer who doesn't know how to effectively deal with management.

You are of course, as entitled to post as much as all of us, but the blind leading the blind comes to mind.
I've been in the workforce for 48 years, in a wide variety of roles and industries. And I see this thread as one of the worst train wrecks of horrible advice and toxic commentary to appear here.

I'm sure the OP is smart enough to have moved on, knowing better than to let the mostly hot air appearing here to override his gut feeling about the best course of action for him.

Not everyone is cut out to resign themselves to a life of being pushed around for 45 years and those who dare to challenge that sadly common scenario often go on to far greater success than anyone posting here.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:33 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I've been in the workforce for 48 years, in a wide variety of roles and industries. And I see this thread as one of the worst train wrecks of horrible advice and toxic commentary to appear here.

I'm sure the OP is smart enough to have moved on, knowing better than to let the mostly hot air appearing here to override his gut feeling about the best course of action for him.

Not everyone is cut out to resign themselves to a life of being pushed around for 45 years and those who dare to challenge that sadly common scenario often go on to far greater success than anyone posting here.
It took him years*** to find a job in his field. It would be foolish for him to quit over this. Keep looking, sure, but in the meantime, this is not an opportunity to squander. If offers were flying in sure, but this isn't the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment