Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 01:56 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,800,865 times

Advertisements

I used to ride my bike to work and it's 6 miles up hill going to work. We have a shower for the employees to use which is nice. I used to ride to my other job which was only 3 miles away. I would bring clean scrubs, socks and undies and just wash up in the restroom before my shift. I miss riding my bike but I never know if I'll be working all night when I get there. I just keep a bag packed with clean clothes so I can take a shower between shifts and that's too much to carry on the bike. As far as riding in extreme temperatures I probably wouldn't recommend doing that. Maybe you find someone to car pool with and pay them for gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 03:07 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,126,191 times
How about you buy a motor scooter. It won't go very fast (45-60 mph tops), but you can find a good cheap one for under $1000 and should get 75+mpg. In Texas you won't have to worry about snow.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:55 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,949,984 times
If you show up for work sweaty, you can always get there a little early, head for the mens room and use one of the "bath in a bag" type cleansers once you get there. They are a large wipe that is saturated with a no-rinse cleanser. Bring a clean shirt to change into, a stick of deodorant, and you should be fine.

It's not easy living in a rural area with no transportation. At 18 years old you should have the stamina and strength to handle the 8 miles. If your parents are trying to discourage you without helping to find other options they are not very good parents, IMO. If that's the case, what you accomplish in life will be up to you alone.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:52 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,857,300 times
8 miles of what? Honestly, 8 miles isn't very far at all. A quick cleanup in the restroom and pull your clean work clothes out of your backpack and you're fine.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:33 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,301,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
8 miles of what? Honestly, 8 miles isn't very far at all. A quick cleanup in the restroom and pull your clean work clothes out of your backpack and you're fine.
Yup. I do this too almost every single day. 22 miles.

OP you're 18 years old, conditions are ideal for you to bike into town FOR FREE then earn money working. You come out ahead, no debts! It really is a good deal. You're right, cars are moneysuckers.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:40 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,745,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
How about you buy a motor scooter. It won't go very fast (45-60 mph tops), but you can find a good cheap one for under $1000 and should get 75+mpg. In Texas you won't have to worry about snow.
That's a good suggestion.

And you won't be exhausted/sweaty either after riding it...

Old 09-05-2014, 06:45 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,329,285 times
I think it's a great idea and shows inititative. You can take clothes in a backpack and towel off when you get there (birdbath). Be sure to bring deodorant! You'll get adjusted to the temps, you'll be in great shape. You may inspire others!

Old 09-05-2014, 07:05 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,784,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Griffin View Post
I'm wondering if its reasonable to bike that far. Some people say its unrealistic. Some people say its stupid. Some people its abnormal. How early might I have to leave? Like how many hours before work starts? I couldn't take a shower at work.
Eight miles is nothing, anyone who says it's unrealistic probably can't do a flight of stairs without getting out of breath. If your not in shape it will be a tougher ride for a few weeks, but once you build up your strength, it will be an easy ride. I used to work at a gas station and biked to work 5 miles every day. At night when I closed up, I'd bike a mile to the bosses house to drop off the cash for the night and bike 7 miles home. It's true in the summer, you'll be sweaty after that ride, but if you leave early enough, you can cool off in the back of the store before you start your shift.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:44 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
FYI: backpacks make you hot. Get a rack for your bike so you can attach your bag to it.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:41 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,883,025 times
Eight miles is not a big deal even in TX heat. Start riding to town every day now and see how it goes. The first two weeks you may be sore, then your body will toughen up.

I would ride in shorts and a tshirt, then change into work clothes once I got there. I used to bike to work when I was a teenager and didn't need to change then, but it seems like it gets hotter now.

The road you're going to be riding on is really what will make the ride realistic or not. If you have to ride on the shoulder of the highway, then I probably wouldn't do it personally...too many distracted drivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment