Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2014, 07:22 PM

18 posts, read 61,425 times

Advertisements

To try to make a long story short, I've been working at this position for almost a year. They offered me the starting pay for this position and each year I will get an increase. The position I have is A LOT of work. There used to be two people that handled this position but now it's down to 1 person "me" because of the economy

They have hired two new people that are the same title and same pay but are given WAY lighter work load than me. They are also less experienced and 1 person told me they didn't know how to use some of the machinery??? I don't think it's fair that I'm given such a big responsibility while these two other workers get to help around the office and are paid the same.

I also have been asked to work most if not all the holidays. Do I have a legitimate gripe? Is there anything that can be done other than complaining to the boss? I'm trying to earn a promotion and If I complain, it might ruin any chances of that ever happening?

I get lots of recognition for the job I do but I still don't think it's fair that I'm not properly compensated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 07:37 PM

21,869 posts, read 25,167,969 times
I'm pretty sure complaining never helped anyone's case in reality... nobody likes a whiner. I'd try asking for a raise, but start putting feelers out there first. Shouldn't be hard to find a better paying job if you're actually not being properly compensated.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:26 PM

419 posts, read 847,009 times
The two new people are expendable. They get paid the same amount as you, yet don't hold the same level of responsibility or work load. When budget cuts come up, your supervisors will see that you are more valuable to keep. If those newly hired staffers were forward thinking, they would be looking for ways to share (steal) some of your responsibilities. So, let them float by. More experience and opportunity for you!

Old 09-08-2014, 09:32 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
RagingBull, I'm curious about how you know they make the same thing you do. Can you share the details on that?

Old 09-09-2014, 09:51 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,841,256 times
Dont complain. Be patient & just see how it goes until your performance review comes up. If you dont get a raise or promotion after your review, then talk to your manager about the work load. Maybe they are testing you to see how much workload you can manage before giving you that promotion. If they are fair, then I am sure you will get promoted & the 2 new guys will be working under you. You already said that you got a lot of recognition for your work so thats a good sign. Usually companies are prepared with new pay scale & new position around the time of your performance reviews or beginning of new quarter, end of quarter - whatever their budgeting dictates. So keep working hard until they are ready with a new offer. These things take time to pass through the management.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:21 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingBull23 View Post
To try to make a long story short, I've been working at this position for almost a year. They offered me the starting pay for this position and each year I will get an increase. The position I have is A LOT of work. There used to be two people that handled this position but now it's down to 1 person "me" because of the economy

They have hired two new people that are the same title and same pay but are given WAY lighter work load than me. They are also less experienced and 1 person told me they didn't know how to use some of the machinery??? I don't think it's fair that I'm given such a big responsibility while these two other workers get to help around the office and are paid the same.

I also have been asked to work most if not all the holidays. Do I have a legitimate gripe? Is there anything that can be done other than complaining to the boss? I'm trying to earn a promotion and If I complain, it might ruin any chances of that ever happening?

I get lots of recognition for the job I do but I still don't think it's fair that I'm not properly compensated.

Look it this way, they already had a downsizing in the past. When the next one comes it will be one of the two if not both who get laid off before you.

You might want to inquire about the holidays and see if turns can't be taken, but I certainly wouldn't bring up how one of them isn't trained on certain machines.

Your company like most has a history of layoffs, would you rather have an advantage over the other two when it happens again or do you want them to be on the same level as you?

Old 09-24-2014, 08:34 PM

18 posts, read 61,425 times
Just an update. Put it out on the table and there is no promotion coming and basically there's the door. So I went to a competitor and they offered me a position so I quit. They were stunned i found something so fast. Just in case someone out there reads this and is in the same situation. Don't be afraid to voice out your concerns because of fear of not getting that promotion. Always have a back up as well.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:53 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,575,726 times
Good for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment