Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 08:51 AM

22 posts, read 43,093 times

Advertisements

For some reason I have a very hard time even getting an interview for a waitressing job. I've applied at numerous places ranging from small local restaurants to chains to local fine dining restaurants and I never got a call from the almost twenty places I applied. I'm not sure what the problem is. I've worked at an upscale retirement home for six years now, and while it has been a good job it really isn't paying anymore and hours are getting more and more scarce. I also have a job at a craft store that is tolerable, but I don't enjoy in the least bit. I took this job in early May to help with my lack of hours at my other job.

Restaurants in my area always seem to have numerous positions open, but it doesn't seem like they hire anyone at all. I've tried calling most of the places I've applied and many of them either tell me that they aren't hiring when I know they have postings out or tell me that the position is filled, only for more postings for the same position to appear in the same week.

Another problem I run into is the critique over my experience. Managers have told me they are looking for someone with "restaurant experience" when I go to drop off applications and someone serving in a retirement home would most likely struggle with the restaurant's menu. I don't know if they assume I work in a cafeteria type setting, but that's far from the case. I work in a full service and fine dining atmosphere which acts pretty much exactly like a restaurant. Though I'm not saying the two are the same, I think I could handle the transition if hired.

I don't know if this is just in my head, but I think the fact that I look young for my age deters people as well because they assume I don't have experience. I'm twenty two, but many people assume I am seventeen or eighteen at first glance. I went to drop an application off a few months ago only to be told that I had to be at least eighteen to work there. They were shocked when I told them my age.

Does anyone have any tips for at least getting an interview? I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 08:59 AM

595 posts, read 2,702,103 times
My first question is going to be how are you dressing when you drop off the applications and/or when you interview? If they consistently tell you that you look "too" young, could be what you are wearing. Are you dressing appropriately? No jeans, easy on the makeup, hair in a simple manner? Also, your experience is different than working in a restaurant. Most restaurants are going to be MUCH faster paced than even an upscale retirement home. They could be concerned with your efficiency. Have you tried going for a different position in the restaurant? I started as a Hostess prior to serving when I worked in the restaurant field. I only hosted for 4 months before they moved me over. It can be a good foot in the door of a nice restaurant.

Those are my suggestions…Good Luck!

Old 09-09-2014, 09:05 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Your lack of restaurant experience is the problem. Serving at a place where everything is pre-paid is not the same. restaurants want to have people that are good at driving up the bill, recommending the more expensive items, pushing drinks, appetizers and desserts. They also want people that make people really enjoy their dining experience so they will come back. At the retirement home, they come back regardless of the service. I agree with RDH35, start as a hostess to get some restaurant experience.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:06 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,940,305 times
I think the hostess route is a good entry suggestion.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:20 AM

22 posts, read 43,093 times
As for my appearance, I do dress appropriately. I never wear jeans, I wear little makeup everyday, and I keep my hair neat. I'm always polite asking for a manager on duty. I just have a young looking face. At several of these places I have applied for both server or/and hostess positions, with no luck.

Again, I'm not saying restaurant experience and my current job are the same thing. I'm saying that I believe I could handle a restaurant environment. Currently at my work I do have to push special appetizers, drinks, entrees, etc that we happen to have that night. These are extras not included in their dining plans just as an example. I have wine knowledge as well. And we do have a high volume of residents coming in every night as this is the main dining area and it is very fast paced.

I really do appreciate the advice. I'm just trying to get my foot in the door and it seems that I can't get anywhere. I'll try applying to more hostess positions and see where that leads me.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:24 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,641,163 times
I've also had problems being selected for these types of jobs that I always thought were up for the taking and relatively easy to get. I have since retired to accepting that businesses have no interest in hiring a 30-year old with a 4-year degree, and no restaurant experience, to be a waitress or fry cook who will quit in 3 months.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:51 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,598,739 times
Restaurant jobs are not easy to get - they almost always want someone with experience. If you weren't lucky enough to land a job like this as a college student (restaurants in college towns are usually more open to hiring students w/o experience), the likelihood of getting one later on without experience is slim.

Masterquill, I don't think your age is the issue, but if you think it is, mention your age when you're speaking to the hiring manager. I would also change the wording I use and the wording on my resume to reflect that you worked in a 'restaurant owned by the retirement home'. That may help.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:14 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,847,676 times
My advice to you is to keep applying. Your job description at your present job is very close/related to that of a restaurant. It's not like a guy in the insurance industry working behind a desk trying to get into construction. These two fields are not related. We are not re-inventing the wheel here. One of the most important things a server must dominate is TIME MANAGEMENT. Timing is important. Everything else is secondary: learning the POS system, up-selling, suggesting, etc, etc. These things are super easy. It's up to you, having the will and desire to want to learn.

When I managed my father's restaurants I would interview many people applying for a server position. If they had NO experience in food service I would not hire them for a server position but I would for a hostess position or a busser. The bussers would get promoted to servers much faster than the hostesses at my restaurants. If someone applied for a server position with your experience in that side of the food service industry, yes, I would hire that person. Since I created a training program I would never throw a new hired employee into the trenches right off the bat anyway. The trainee was paid during training but would be evaluated after a week long training session and would be quizzed on menu items, prices, descriptions, scenarios, serving etiquette, etc. When the trainee was accepted I would never give the best shifts/stations to the new servers. Even though the training wheels came off the new server would be watched LIKE. A. HAWK.

Anyway I encourage you to apply and think about applying as a busser also.

-Cheers.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:18 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,631,840 times
All good suggestions. I've worked in the restaurant industry for years. Many times people get their foot in the door first as either a host/hostess or busser. Once in, let the management know of your desire to serve tables accepting a per diem / (as needed) position to start This could help the management fill the position for call offs.

You'll get in. Persistence pays off. You can try calling the manager off peak hours as well to help make an impression.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:25 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,115,616 times
If hiring managers think you work in a cafeteria, then your resume needs some revisions. Your resume is sending the wrong message.

Do a few dozen mock interviews with copies of your resume at career development groups/meetups, job clubs, job ministries, etc. They will poke holes in it, so you can fix the message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment