Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 10:45 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,664,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Well,

I hold a bachelor's in English and am working on a master's of Education with a concentration in ESOL. I've heard there are opportunities to become an ESL teacher with a master's degree, but competition to become a teacher is fierce around here. Several hundred new graduates are minted every year. I'm even having trouble finding substitute teaching jobs this year. I need to do something; I've got too much in student loans that I need to pay. Right now I can barely afford the rent for my apartment. I have no idea what I'm going to do to continue to support myself once I graduate.

I need a plan B. What can I do if teaching doesn't work out for me? I already have a teaching license, but I haven't been able to find work at all. I've interviewed at several schools but have only secured substitute teaching positions, which can't begin to pay the bills. I love working with language and teaching people how to do new things, but I'm just not sure I'm going to be able to secure a job.

If I need to go into another field, what should I consider? Since I have so many student loans to pay, what should I do to fund my training? I was thinking about picking up some nursing classes at one of the local community colleges, but I don't really know how much that would help. The scheduling for the classes means that I would barely get a chance to work during the day.
How does someone with a degree in English and who is working on their master's degree entitle a post with "and still no good job"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 04:32 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,586,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
How does someone with a degree in English and who is working on their master's degree entitle a post with "and still no good job"?
Stop it. I play with the language from time to time, too. I also started with a number, and it's not a complete sentence. Holding a degree in English doesn't mean you have to be super proper all of the time, does it? There's a thread here on City Data for this kind of thing if it really bothers you.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:18 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,664,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Stop it. I play with the language from time to time, too. I also started with a number, and it's not a complete sentence. Holding a degree in English doesn't mean you have to be super proper all of the time, does it? There's a thread here on City Data for this kind of thing if it really bothers you.

It's a valid comment. It doesn't have to be the King's English, but come on. Don't come on here and tell everyone how educated you are, than post like someone who has a 8th grade education, and not expect someone to question it.

Old 09-14-2014, 03:05 PM

Okay, you are the one who wants me to split hairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It's a valid comment. It doesn't have to be the King's English, but come on. Don't come on here and tell everyone how educated you are, than post like someone who has a 8th grade education, and not expect someone to question it.
I need to remember that in America "English teacher" means "grammar police." I suppose I should be more careful next time.

Last edited by krmb; 09-14-2014 at 03:33 PM..

Old 09-14-2014, 04:21 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,236,994 times
My undergrad is in TESL too.

I don't understand why you are doing the MA without solid local and overseas experience - or even when you don't know if teaching is for you. From a TESL perspective, it makes no sense in that industry.

Your posts always focus on education because you feel safe in a book. Get out of the book and start working on your people skills. You stay in your safety zone and it is crippling you.

And guys... when we get a degree in TESL, we know all about overseas teaching. It is like learning about Italy when you get a degree in Italian. She knows. It is constantly discussed. Something is preventing her from it, and that is probably the social aspect.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:02 PM

303 posts, read 396,610 times
That's what I was thinking. For people from other professions, overseas teaching would be a sharp detour, but for an ESOL teacher, it's an obvious opportunity to obtain experience and find a market where those credentials are definitely in demand. I have no idea why people here are acting like there's no difference between going to Japan and going to Afghanistan.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:07 PM

The issue I am guessing, is that it takes a strong social personality to survive life abroad when in another language. The other, is that aside from visa requirements, teacher personality is the #1 requirement. This is why in places like China and Korea, outgoing Americans who don't know grammar modals are considered awesome teachers. Again, OP doesn't focus on the missing puzzle piece. She needs improv classes, not an MA.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selena777 View Post
That's what I was thinking. For people from other professions, overseas teaching would be a sharp detour, but for an ESOL teacher, it's an obvious opportunity to obtain experience and find a market where those credentials are definitely in demand. I have no idea why people here are acting like there's no difference between going to Japan and going to Afghanistan.
There are only a few TESL jobs (for adults) here in north america that don't require overseas experience. 1-2 years abroad is an industry standard. IMO vital to understanding your students as well.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:48 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,754,064 times
You know I often do not agree with many of the ways millennials handle themselves, and the way they think, then I read posts like these and realize just how much us older generations have really let them down.

Many of them have not been allowed to fail throughout school, and then when they struggle in the real world they think they are the only ones, many truly believe they are the 1st generation to struggle especially early in life.

They have never been taught that sometimes you can make all the right decisions, put in all the work plus some that needs done, and it still does not work out.

Someone needs to teach them that sometimes life just sucks.

struggling early in life is not a terrible thing, as my grandfather told me when I was struggling in my younger days, it is the struggle that will bring out your character and help you build the confidence and knowledge to do better next time. For just about everybody there are good and bad times, it is how you handle the bad that makes all the difference. I know people that did not find their careers until their mid-late 30s and have done very well in life, I also know people who were very successful early in life and struggled later in life. It sucks, but you life is not even close to half over at 28 years old, you have a long life and long career ahead of you, figure out what you are good at, and find a way to do it. If you want a job working TESL there are options laid out in this thread for you, but if it is something else, than figure out how to get it done and get to work, quit worrying about how old you are and where you thought you would be by now, it is a waste of time and energy.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
The issue I am guessing, is that it takes a strong social personality to survive life abroad when in another language. The other, is that aside from visa requirements, teacher personality is the #1 requirement. This is why in places like China and Korea, outgoing Americans who don't know grammar modals are considered awesome teachers. Again, OP doesn't focus on the missing puzzle piece. She needs improv classes, not an MA.
Will that help me with the social aspect of this job? Where can I find good improv classes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment