Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 10:03 AM

121 posts, read 314,013 times

Advertisements

For the regulars who post here you already heard me say plenty of times when our contract is up in Colorado we are headed to be closer to our cabins in Pigeon Forge. We officially relocate June 10!

The last year I have been looking for homes in the Maryville area. We had our heart set on this area due to the good school systems and the away from the city but not a small city feel. Well we are headed there in two weeks and STILL I have yet to find any home I like or one I could possibly remodel. My husband FINALLY said it "If we can't find anything there we HAVE to look at another city!". I have looked at the Bearden & Farrgut area (not really much there that I'd want to buy or remodel either) and then I stumbled upon Oak Ridge and Louisville. Haven't heard much about it on the forums and wanted to see what others views are of this area? Nice- Clean- Good schools?

I'm starting to get really nervous now for the move! Schools are my main priority as well as not being too far out from Pigeon Forge (so we can have atleast 45mins to an hour to get to our cabins if we need to).

Again thanks to everyone on this forum all of the past advice has helped more than you guys know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 10:41 AM

610 posts, read 1,624,001 times
I would pick Louisville over Oak Ridge.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:11 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
I don't remember if you like newer or older homes. If you don't mind older the schools in Fountain City are very good and it is not that far to the Smokies by hopping on 640 to I-40.

Search Results

Old 03-07-2012, 11:09 PM

Seen Fountain City on our searches hadn't really looked but I will. Is that where you live, Hip? I know we talked about this and I sort of remembered that I needed to look in your area?

Old 03-08-2012, 05:51 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRenee View Post
Seen Fountain City on our searches hadn't really looked but I will. Is that where you live, Hip? I know we talked about this and I sort of remembered that I needed to look in your area?
I do live here!

I looked back and still can't find what kind of homes you are interested in. I noticed that you are a Southern gal and very friendly. That would make you a great fit for Fountain City. However, I now see and remember that your husband wanted to live near water. In that case, Louisville just might be the answer. Not so sure about schools in that area, though. You are like me and schools seem to be your top priority. You might want to stick to the other side of the river and West Knoxville and even Farragut.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:46 PM

I know I know choices choices

He does love the water but he's also a woodsy hunting type- how we go together I'll never understand but we do My "dream" would be to fix up an older home and make it my own and then sell it when we actually build our last home (hopefully). I know there might be some people on this forum who live in Farragut but I just didn't get that "I want to move here" feeling when we visited. I know the schools are good I just don't think I'll be happy there. I will visit again when we come down in two weeks so who knows.

I can't wait to move and get back South - the midwest isn't for me and each passing day I ache for my Southern roots I honestly have seen first hand the South is very different than others parts of the US in many many ways!

Old 03-08-2012, 05:31 PM

84 posts, read 177,217 times
Louisville is a good area for sure, but it's zoned for Blount County Schools, which aren't the best, but not the worst. They are certainly no Maryville city schools. There's always Alcoa! Alcoa has great schools as well, but much smaller than Maryville. Alcoa has many older homes since the majority of them were built for the Alcoa Aluminum plant in the 40s and 50s. It's a great community.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:24 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
How often do you go to your cabins? Is this a business where you go every day or just weekly to check in on them on weeks they've been rented?

Old 03-09-2012, 07:41 PM

730 posts, read 1,918,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRenee View Post
For the regulars who post here you already heard me say plenty of times when our contract is up in Colorado we are headed to be closer to our cabins in Pigeon Forge. We officially relocate June 10!

The last year I have been looking for homes in the Maryville area. We had our heart set on this area due to the good school systems and the away from the city but not a small city feel. Well we are headed there in two weeks and STILL I have yet to find any home I like or one I could possibly remodel. My husband FINALLY said it "If we can't find anything there we HAVE to look at another city!". I have looked at the Bearden & Farrgut area (not really much there that I'd want to buy or remodel either) and then I stumbled upon Oak Ridge and Louisville. Haven't heard much about it on the forums and wanted to see what others views are of this area? Nice- Clean- Good schools?

I'm starting to get really nervous now for the move! Schools are my main priority as well as not being too far out from Pigeon Forge (so we can have atleast 45mins to an hour to get to our cabins if we need to).

Again thanks to everyone on this forum all of the past advice has helped more than you guys know
Try Seymour. Near Knoxville, Maryville and Sevierville/Pigeon Forge, but without the traffic. About 20 minutes each way. Good schools as well.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:15 PM

We aren't going everyday to the cabins that's why we want to stay far enough away but close enough to get there if our Management Company has major issues.

Ok I thought Blount County schools were good? Isn't Maryville in Blount County?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville