Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2014, 04:53 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,789,691 times

Advertisements

Excerpts from Frequently Asked Questions: Work Permits - Work Experience Education (WEE) (CA Dept of Education)

When are California minors exempt from work permits?

There are 10 exclusions to work permit requirements for California minors:

When the minor has graduated from a high school maintaining a four-year course above the eighth grade (EC Section 49101)

When the minor has as had an equal amount of education in a private school (EC Section 49110)

When the minor has been awarded with a certificate of proficiency, better known as the California High School Proficiency Examination (CHSPE) (EC Section 49101; LC Section 1286)

When the minor has been awarded with a certificate of equivalency, better known as the General Educational Development (GED) (EC Section 51425)

When the minor is employed by parents/guardians in agriculture, horticulture, viticulture, or domestic labor on or in connection with property the parents/guardians owns, operates, or controls (LC Section 1394)

When the minor is self-employed (EC sections 49112 and 49160; LC Section 1299)

When the minor is employed by a governmental agency (i.e. state and local agencies) (29 USC 203(s)(1))

When the minor receives payment for services or prize money for horseback riding exhibition, contest, or event (EC sections 49119 and 49165; LC Section 1308)

When the minor is irregularly employed in odd jobs in private homes, such as baby-sitting, lawn mowing, and leaf raking (18 Ops. Cal. Atty. Gen. 114, August 31, 1951)

When the minor is an unpaid-trainee, volunteer, or non-paid student (5 CCR Section 10121)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 05:00 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,405,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planning View Post
I think that if a 5-year old could pass a driving test without help that they should be allowed to drive, but there's no chance they could because a 5-year old wouldn't even be able to reach the pedals.

If a 5-year old could give me an in-depth explanation of the political parties and issues, then they should be able to vote, but since they can barely read at that age, it's nearly impossible.

If a 5-year old could pass a law exam, then they should be able to be a lawyer, but since they can again barely read at that age, it's nearly impossible.

What I meant was that age should never be a consideration in a task if we claim that discrimination to age is wrong. Only the merits of a person to the task should be the standard on whether or not they can do it.
No person can run for president that is not 35 years of age of older. I am sure that plenty could do the job just fine but our Constitution prohibits it. What do you think of that?

Old 09-30-2014, 05:13 PM

In my case I might just have slipped through the cracks... I certainly was not 14 when I stocked shelves or when I started cashiering at the school cafeteria.

The only proof I have is the my earning show up on my Social Security Earnings Summary... a whole $222 dollars at age 12 based on $13.20 a day...

I do remember being overjoyed when minimum wage went up from $1.65 to $2.00 and then finding out the boss wanted to cut hours from 8 to 6...

Old 10-01-2014, 01:29 AM

130 posts, read 123,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Although we do not know the age of that poster, we do know that they are not currently 12 years old. The laws probably have changed over the years.
The law is now 14.

Heck, people of my parents generation, in rural areas, were completely "educated" with an 8th grade diploma and ready for adult job responsibilities. And, some people did not even stay in school that long.

In 2014, very few people in America would consider someone with only an 8th grade education as prepared for adult job responsibilities and finished with their education.

Laws, and expectations, change over the years. The current law is 14 and that is what you need to be concerned about, no matter how much you say that the 'law does not apply to my 13 year old because she is so mature.'

We never said she was going to drop out with an 8th grade education. No idea where you got that from.

And we have higher expectations for her than the law.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:34 AM

130 posts, read 123,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
No person can run for president that is not 35 years of age of older. I am sure that plenty could do the job just fine but our Constitution prohibits it. What do you think of that?

That's still discrimination.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:20 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,228,628 times
Quote:
We never said she was going to drop out with an 8th grade education. No idea where you got that from.

And we have higher expectations for her than the law.
The 8th grade example was just to show that laws and expectations change over time. Twelve year olds used to work 80 hour weeks in factories, one poster started working at age 12 at some time in the past, those things do not matter, the law in 2014 states that you can start certain jobs at age 14 in America.

No, I do not think that you have "higher expectations for her than the law" I know that you have repeatedly stated viewpoints in this thread that show that you believe that you are "above the law" (the laws of our country do not apply to you and your family because you do not feel that any laws are just or because of your innate superiority or just because you don't want to be told what you can and can not do) --- something very different and rather unsettling.

Last edited by germaine2626; 10-01-2014 at 06:46 AM..

Old 10-01-2014, 07:39 AM

It's not just black and white...

The employment regs in California have definite exemptions such as odd jobs in private homes, such as baby-sitting, lawn mowing, and leaf raking or when the minor is self employed... I guess that might be a minor with a newspaper route???

Old 10-01-2014, 08:02 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,567,568 times
Quote:
That's still discrimination.
Oh, sure it is! Do you really want a 5 yr. old running this country? That's just plain STUPID.

Let that kid be a kid while she's still got the time left to do so. When she turns 14 she can legally work, but you will have to involve the school if she is doing more than self employed work from home.

This page may help you understand age discrimination better.

Youth At Work: Age Discrimination

Quote:
Employees under age forty are not protected from age discrimination by the laws enforced by EEOC, although some state and local laws protect younger workers.
Quit being your kids best friend. It isn't doing you or her any good and may have serious consequences for both of you.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:29 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,608,681 times
Actually the newspaper industry lost litigation where they claimed newsboys/girls were independent contractors. Once they had to pay taxes and provide workers compensation insurance they started hiring adults.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:34 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,187,533 times
Quote:
I was wondering how much of a workload it is reasonable to expect a 13-year old to undertake in their first job?

A local business in town wants to hire her to insert data into a database and pay her $12 per hour for 10 hours a week of work (no idea if that is with or without tax), but even though we are thrilled with the starting salary for her, we are concerned that she could possibly fall behind on her schoolwork.

I never started work until I was 16 as a child so I am unsure if she is wanting to start too young, but also don't want to crush her work ethic?

I was wondering what the forum thinks is a reasonable hours per week for a child to start at and how quickly can she take on additional hours?
Why would this company hire a child to do this work instead of an adult? I don't get this. If I were a parent, I would want my child to learn something valuable instead of staring at a computer screen plugging in numbers all day. What will she be learning that she doesn't already know?

I'd rather have my child working around the house, doing chores and learning how to take care of a household, cook, clean and garden. Besides, she's too young to work. Most states won't let anyone under 15 work. Have you checked with the department of labor?

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment