Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 07:06 PM

983 posts, read 995,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
I'm curious, how does a person that has a more quiet, laid-back personality make themselves more memorable at an interview and avoid appearing 'boring' and lackluster? I've never been explicitly told this but I strongly suspect this has been my problem at interviews - I'm simply NOT a bubbly, enthusiastic, chatty person, and even though I try my hardest to be smiley and friendly and upbeat at interviews, it's an act and feels forced and fake, even to myself, and I'm sure interviewers pick up on it. I tend to be very shy, quiet and reserved, and I feel like I never make an impact on interviewers - it's like they already forget who I am 5 seconds into it. I simply don't have that engaging captivating personality so I always lose out to the bubbly types that do, even if I'm perfectly qualified.

None of that, however, means in any way that I'm not a 'team player' or whatever. I don't understand why everyone is making that analogy. I'm always nice and polite and friendly to everyone, always willing to help out, never engage in petty office politics or gossip etc - things that many of those 'exciting' personalities tend to love. You can be a charming extrovert selfish a-hole, or a person can be quiet but nice and kind and a great worker. Why do people assume that to do well on a team you have to be a one-person circus or something?
Google "Bill Clinton", "charisma". It's eye contact, and being present. Lots of non-verbal communication that makes a big difference. Bill Clinton's special gift is that he was a master at making someone feel like they were the only person in the room when he was talking to them.

Charisma Breakdown - Bill Clinton Eye Contact - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 07:42 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
^i agree. You don't need to bubbly to be memorable. Be yourself. Make good eye contact. Show enthusiasm for the job and employer by asking good questions.

It's the people who seem uninterested who fail.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:53 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
And smile. If Boosane is reading, I hope he weighs in on the importance of smiling and what his experiences were when he was interviewing.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:24 AM

804 posts, read 1,964,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
Any supervisor who uses marriage compatibility as a litmus test for hiring has serious issues.
It makes one wonder what type of business the company is 'engaged' in

Old 09-24-2014, 03:49 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I started a new job a few weeks ago and the company has around 10 more hires planned for the year, including 3 in my department. My boss came back to her desk after an interview and debriefed us. She said "I think the candidate would be excellent at the job, but they bored me to tears."
Uh. An interview is supposed to be boring. I mean you can throw in a joke or anecdote, but the last thing the interviewer is supposed to be is 'entertained'.

You're supposed to show the other person that your experience is relevant to the job and give the impression that you are responsible and can do the job. That's why you show up in a suit and not in a bikini.

If your super said the candidate was excellent in terms of being qualified but a boring interview, then I wonder about your super.

Unless your work is just getting paid six figures for a daily barrel of laughs. Oh yea, mine is too. That's why I woke up at 5 AM this morning to prep for a work meeting. To work on my jokes for the client.

Last edited by jobaba; 09-24-2014 at 03:57 AM..

Old 09-24-2014, 07:12 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
I dont like the phrase "this candidate is too boring to work hjere" but I get what she means..... She didn't feel as if the person would fit in with the rest of the team....now whether the hiring manager thought the candidate was "too boring" or not...could have been phrased differently. Perhaps something like "he/she looked great on paper, but I dont feel as if she would be a good fit to our company culture/office culture" ...or something along those lines....don't say a candidate is boring.... that's rude and it's a job interview, what do they expect??? A stand-up comic act?

Old 09-24-2014, 08:14 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarelyRelocating View Post
How so? If the supervisor isn't enthusiastic about an applicant then it doesn't matter what the reason is, the applicant shouldn't be hired. Supervisor and direct report often have to spend more time together than a person spends with his/her spouse (8+ hours at work on a weekday, less than 8 hours with spouse if you don't count being asleep) You wouldn't marry someone whom you consider boring, so why hire someone like that when there is bound to be friction because of it.

Especially when considering that there are tons of qualified applicants for every single job out there.
Work is work, it's supposed to get done, not be fun.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:25 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
I've worked in a lot of places where popularity and likability were more important than work performance. Work is indeed a social club.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:32 AM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Uh. An interview is supposed to be boring. I mean you can throw in a joke or anecdote, but the last thing the interviewer is supposed to be is 'entertained'.

You're supposed to show the other person that your experience is relevant to the job and give the impression that you are responsible and can do the job. That's why you show up in a suit and not in a bikini.

If your super said the candidate was excellent in terms of being qualified but a boring interview, then I wonder about your super.

Unless your work is just getting paid six figures for a daily barrel of laughs. Oh yea, mine is too. That's why I woke up at 5 AM this morning to prep for a work meeting. To work on my jokes for the client.
True but at the same point if there is nothing unique or memorable then it can be hard to stand out. I'm not suggesting someone show up with facial tattoos or a mohawk but at the same point if there is nothing there then it is hard to argue for a hiring.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:38 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I've worked in a lot of places where popularity and likability were more important than work performance. Work is indeed a social club.
That's the way it is where I work too, and you can see it in how nobody knows how to run the damn place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment