Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 01:06 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,557,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
No hiring manager or HR person is going to have time to get on the phone and discuss the position. That's why so many ads include, "No phone calls, please!"
I don't want to work with those kinds of companies. They are dealing with the public and PR is very important! If they can't take the time to talk with people who go the extra mile then what does that say about the company?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 01:09 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,433,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
I don't want to work with those kinds of companies. They are dealing with the public and PR is very important! If they can't take the time to talk with people who go the extra mile then what does that say about the company?
Well then they don't want to deal with you either

As another poster already said this is the 2014 process that we have to go through, and if you don't like it you don't have to work. You can gripe all day about the process, or just do it and get the job. Judging a company by its HR is like judging a potential date by how her neighbor drives.....

Old 09-22-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
You make a lot of assumptions here. This may work for a small company where there is only 1 or 2 locations and one HR rep. However in a large company there can be hundreds of openings, dozens to hundreds of HR reps stretched across the Country, and a very formal job posting process.
While I agree that companies do grow large. Inefficiency is not a must. Everyone who answers the phone can know and should know that all questions about job postings are to be directed to a certain person. There is no excuse for handing customer service so poorly! Remember this is the front lines to public relations.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:12 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,641,036 times
Quote:

It says that in the post-9/11 world where people are doing the jobs of 1.5 or 2 people, and get a hundred or more resumes for every job they post, they honestly do not have time to take calls. If every person did as you suggest, it would be a huge waste of their time. They aren't in the business of PR, they're trying to run a department with as few heads and lowest expense possible, because all managers have one, and only one, real objective. I challenged people to guess what that was months ago and not one person answered.

This is, of course, your perogative, but it limits the job pool even further, so good luck.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
While I agree that companies do grow large. Inefficiency is not a must. Everyone who answers the phone can know and should know that all questions about job postings are to be directed to a certain person. There is no excuse for handing customer service so poorly! Remember this is the front lines to public relations.
This isn't the 90s, theres no such things as public relations anymore. Theres only customer relations and that is a function of the sales team.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Well then they don't want to deal with you either
thatguydownsouth,

You're completely wrong! I have been a company founder. I've worked with company founders. I talk with company founders. They want their company to be great. They want people to be treated properly. They want everyone working hard to build something great. They don't want lackluster PR or recruiting processes. They don't want half-baked processes and excuses as to why things don't work. They want people who will go the extra mile to ensure everything is working properly.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
thatguydownsouth,

You're completely wrong! I have been a company founder. I've worked with company founders. I talk with company founders. They want their company to be great. They want people to be treated properly. They want everyone working hard to build something great. They don't want lackluster PR or recruiting processes. They don't want half-baked processes and excuses as to why things don't work. They want people who will go the extra mile to ensure everything is working properly.
Look Rich theres a difference between a business owner that builds their company from the ground up, and the business world as a whole. The owners of most companies consists of the board, and the 401k's that have shares in said company. There is no "driven founder" in most of these companies that cares about you or me. You clearly have been on the other side of the fence and are trying to readjust to being an employee, that's a very difficult process. However venting on boards about how you aren't willing to play the game isn't the right kind of attitude. You need to work with the system as it is, and move up high enough to become an influencer. THEN you can rant and rage.

Youre reminding me of the conversations Ive had with people who refuse to go get a 4 year degree because they don't like the fact that its the status quo. Well guess what, that's the status quo. Like it or not that's how it is.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:21 PM

5,209 posts, read 4,678,617 times
Quote:
thatguydownsouth,

You are quite right there is a lot of incompetence in the workplace. In fact it doesn't take much research to come to this conclusion. However, I'm not sure why you are wasting your time by either not founding a good company or working for a good company.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
You are quite right there is a lot of incompetence in the workplace. In fact it doesn't take much research to come to this conclusion. However, I'm not sure why you are wasting your time by either not founding a good company or working for a good company.
He's trying to find a good company, that's clear by what he's saying. The problem is that due to his higher level experience as a company founder he believes that hes too good for the application process. He believes he should be able to call up a company, get forwarded to central HR, have a chat, and be sold on why the company NEEDS HIM.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
This is, of course, your perogative, but it limits the job pool even further, so good luck.
Excuses MPowering1... Just excuses. I know those things happen but it's just excuses from companies that do poor work!

Well again I don't look for jobs I look for opportunities. While I know you proving information about what goes on in the world. I'm not having it as any but excuses made by people who aren't doing a good job and don't know how to change things. They may be trapped in a bad situation but that is also because they don't know how to change things.

I'm telling you people will be much happier and much better off by going the extra mile and following a much more personalize approach. Because the companies that go the extra mile deserve the candidates that go the extra mile and the candidates that go the extra mile deserve to work at good companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment