Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 09:58 AM

444 posts, read 582,288 times

Advertisements

I have an B.S. in Computer Science and an MBA. Why do people hate MBA's? It was certainly harder than my B.S. in CS for sure. I am sure it would be harder than a BA in Management. There are non-MBA's who are also horrible Managers. An MBA does not make a good Manager but I for one feel as though I understand certain caveats about business...most of the work was based on case studies on what works and has failed in the business world. I understand how the various elements of an organization function and why. It opened up a new world for me. It also allowed me to break out of the individual contributor function and into a project management and analytics focused role...with it came a decent increase in the level of pay. However, I have yet to see the steady 120K/yr job as those do not exist anyone unless you go to Harvard.

I had one guy tell me he could learn about all of the following stuff below in a three day seminar which was my 3 year program BTW...not including seminar courses...these are the courses I took.

Managerial Accounting
Operations Management
Economics for Managers
Quantitative Techniques
Financial Management
Compensation and Benefits Analysis
International Management
Legal and Ethical Issues
Human Resource Management
Management Information Systems
OS Information Management
Organizational Behavior

I do now want to break into quantitative analytics but would need a MS in Math, Stats or Engineering...If I would do it again I would not do the MBA but it sure has been valuable...but as for the hatred, I don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 10:08 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,445,889 times
Starting pay is higher and they have budgets.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:31 AM

211 posts, read 266,754 times
B/c most of them are a******s from what I've observed.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:32 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
An MBA is not a guarantee that you'll get a better job or better pay, just as having a college degree doesn't. But for people with a good attitude, who are go-getters, and really interested in doing something with their career, it can open doors to opportunities that might not be presented without it. I would advise a lot of people not to get one, because it's a waste of money and time if you have a bad attitude.

The only time I've seen resentment toward people with higher degrees is when the person without one feels threatened or jealous. They don't like dealing with a person who is on a whole other level than they are. It's best not to even deal with that garbage.

You'll also find a group who tell you all MBA's are a waste of time and money because they never had one and they're at the top of their organization or they make six figures or what have you. There's a reason they feel defensive, but it's their problem, not yours.

There are a number of jobs out there that require an MBA. Until we stop seeing jobs posting that requirement, it's not a waste of time if you have the other qualities necessary to be a success.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:26 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavySeal77 View Post
It opened up a new world for me. It also allowed me to break out of the individual contributor function and into a project management and analytics focused role...with it came a decent increase in the level of pay.
So, you stopped contributing and got paid more and now wonder why nobody else thought that was a win?

Old 10-25-2014, 11:29 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,619,738 times
MBA is designed for those that are already established in their prospective fields. Not designed for the traditional grad student with no work experience.

Very difficult breaking into technical fields without work experience. Even more difficult if you are not a fresh graduate.

My suggestion is that you look into data analytics certificates that universities are now offering. No need to go back and get a whole new masters.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:43 AM

1,274 posts, read 979,370 times
I don't think people hate without any reason unless they are jealous. But then, there is nothing much we can do for them... usually there is no need to be jealous if you are satisfied with your life.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:48 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,257 times
MBAs are really for people that are already established and want promotions that will require the degree. That degree screams corporate. It screams pretentiousness. I've spoken to some MBA folks who were arrogant, nasty and it just really surprised me, with their low IQ and low emotional intelligence that they were even admitted and managed to graduate. I am sure that lots of MBA folks are great people. But my personal experience here in New York City with a few of these people is that Daddy must have bribed somebody, or sits of the Board of the school, or some other favoritism thing. The MBAs who were charismatic, successful and nice were usually partners in a partnership or some other smaller company. I find the typical F500 people with MBA to be all snobs who look down on everyone else who doesn't have one. I think the degree is overrated and has lost its value here in NYC. Everybody seems to think it's their road to El Dorado. The thing is not everyone with that degree knows how to play the politics to actually get there....and stay there.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:55 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,257 times
I don't hate the degree itself, it's undoubtedly useful. I'm actually considering getting one eventually. But it attracts a lot of toxic people who create an undesirable working environment. Too many alphas and alpha wanna-bees in the pack. I would use that degree to start my own company or be in a partnership where I would presumably have more control. I despise the large, impersonal overly bureaucratic corporate workplace and all the cruelties that occur there. The majority of those people have MBAs, as did the people who created the 2007 Recession.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:57 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
No one hates MBA's. That's nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment